Cure for saddle sore

jamlala
jamlala Posts: 284
edited September 2014 in Training, fitness and health
Hi all - does anyone have a suggestion as to the best medical cure for a saddle sore? (Cue comedian responses....!!)
Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
__@    
_`\<,_   
---- (*)/ (*)

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    sudo cream - it works for nappy rash, which is similar ish (but hopefully you weren't sat in your own pish & excrement :D )
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    If you have broken skin and its infected then you use Germolene on it to kill the infection. Its also got a local anaesthetic in it. Then work out why you got one in the first place and prevent that.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Stay off the bike and let it heal.
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    edited September 2014
    You can get magnesium powder which draws a head out of which you can burst. But I enjoy that sort of thing.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • tp2000
    tp2000 Posts: 102
    tea tree oil (cotton wool buds are your friend here) is the best cure that I have come across so far, during a recent outbreak using that cleared them up more quickly than anything I could imagine.

Also other things such as not rewearing shorts; having a good soapy undercarriage scrub after each ride are just good practice things you should do.

Other tip which I've used in the past (if you have to keep cycling) is to tilt saddle tip ever so slightly further down....changes the pressure points. Did that once on its own and everything cleared up fine.
  • jamlala
    Thanks all, first time I've ever had one in 6 years. Not a major inconvenience but I don't want it to develop, or pack up cycling! Always practiced good hygiene, decent shorts, Assos bum cream etc. Interestingly just had a bike fit which increased saddle height about half and inch. Bought some Quinoderm (benzoyl peroxide) which seems to be working.... :D:D:D:D
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    JamLala wrote:
    Interestingly just had a bike fit which increased saddle height about half and inch. D

I may not be completely in possession of the facts but this jumps out at me. 6 years with NO sores then saddle goes up and you get one? I also only ever get them if my saddle is a bit too high.

P.S. Steve Hogg will tell you that 90% of riders have their seats too high, so don't be afraid to run it low enough to be comfortable for fear of being odd.

I concur. I used to get saddle sores and then went for a fitting a few years ago. My saddle was too high – it was lowered and had none since
  • jamlala
    The bike fit was what put my saddle up in the first place!! I'll persevere for a couple of weeks and see how I go....
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • stevewj
    stevewj Posts: 227
    Might sound a bit weird but I read once about using Preparation H haemorrhoid cream as it takes down the swelling and inflammation. I tried it on a saddle sore and it did the trick having tried sudocrem and germolene with no success.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Was it a Retul fit by any chance?
  • jamlala
    DKay wrote:

Yes it was, why do you ask.....?
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    JamLala wrote:
    DKay wrote:

I can see where your going with this Dkay.
    Me and 3 other who have had Retul fits all had our saddles lowered, so not a 'Retul' thing.
    Maybe better to ask who did the fit rather than tools used?

Matt
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    matt-h wrote:
    JamLala wrote:
    DKay wrote:

I can see where your going with this Dkay.
    Me and 3 other who have had Retul fits all had our saddles lowered, so not a 'Retul' thing.
    Maybe better to ask who did the fit rather than tools used?

Matt

Yes Retul is just a tool - depends on the skill of the user.