Ryder's bike

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
edited September 2014 in Pro race
Ryder's crash on stage 7

Something 'odd' looking about how the bike moves after the crash.

As the rear wheel makes contact with the ground it seems to start accelerating again as if powered by a motor.

(from the other place)
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Haha very ood. I guess it was just the wind.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Do those from the other place think that the rear wheel wasn't rotating before the crash?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • I thought this sort of thing was a motor that was housed in the seat tube which turned the cranks rather than the rear wheel. Can't see the cranks moving on Ryder's bike...
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Amazing what you can see when your first thought is to look for some sort of wrongdoing/conspiracy.
  • i´m guessing that the pedal ´sticks´ to the tarmac, the frame is moving under it´s own momentum, thus the frame is moving relative to the crank which obviously then causes the wheel to turn.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    If you developed a power source and motor light and small enough to fit in a bike frame and capable of providing useful benefits over a 200km race, cheating in the Tour of Spain would be #1,315,267 on the list of things to do with it.
  • tailwindhome
    RichN95 wrote:
    Do those from the other place think that the rear wheel wasn't rotating before the crash?

Aside from the OP no one is suggesting it's motorised and it has to be said nor am I.

Some disagreement on the physics to explain the seeming acceleration when the back wheel connects with the ground.

I'm guessing that hill is actually steeper than it looks on camera so the bike is trying to roll on down the hill.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    Aside from the OP no one is suggesting it's motorised and it has to be said nor am I.
    That OP is an absolute treat. She comes up with theories that I can't even imagine. No matter how hard I try I'm just not dumb enough to get to that level of creativity. It's a gift I thought was exclusive Ralph Wiggum.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    It's the EPO that's contained in the hub causing it to continue to rotate. Obviously.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    g8Tmd9v.gif
  • bontie
    bontie Posts: 177
    RichN95 wrote:

Aside from the OP no one is suggesting it's motorised and it has to be said nor am I..

Alas, not even the OP suggests it, but copied comments from a Canadian site, and then merely asks the question.
    Virtually all agrees that it looks odd.

100 odd posts further though, the clinic is quite entertaining....
  • RichN95.
    bontie wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Aside from the OP no one is suggesting it's motorised and it has to be said nor am I..

Alas, not even the OP suggests it, but copied comments from a Canadian site, and then merely asks the question.

I actually got it wrong in a later comment - you're the OP. I thought Cycle Chic was. She's the crazy one.

It's still a dumb idea though, wherever it came from.
  • bontie
    RichN95 wrote:

• tailwindhome
    bontie wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

My apologies to you sir/madam. I misread the OP and thought the OP was making the comment.

But yes the clinic thread is beautifully pitched between the lunatics, the scientists, the lunatics who think they understand the science and several regulars stirred the pot/ taking the pi$$.
  • Very funny how he is chasing the tail of his bike around.

Not sure if it beats Cancellara accelerating over cobbles sitting down. ;)
  • bontie

But yes the clinic thread is beautifully pitched between the lunatics, the scientists, the lunatics who think they understand the science and several regulars stirred the pot/ taking the pi$$.

I'll let you decide in which of those categories I belong :wink:
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    Watch it over and over and over...

864934487.gif
  • The more I watch that the more it looks like it's powered :D
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545

It's also a cesspit of bigots and broken souls, a disgrace to its publishers; every click a reward for the scumbags.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • einriba
    einriba Posts: 319
    That image above is brilliant. It does look dodgy if you sit and watch it thinking "the rear wheel has a motor". The bike almost rotates 180 degrees and looks to continue (if the motorbike didn't flatten it). I'd never thought anything of it until reading this thread.

I can only assume it something to do with inertia or a centrifugal force?

I remember a few years ago the whole thing about Fabien with his bottom bracket motor....they brought in x-ray machines at some races!
    Getting up is the second hardest thing in the morning
  • Macaloon wrote:
    It's also a cesspit of bigots and broken souls

You're a poet sir.
  • RichN95.
    Another Garmin bike behaving badly.

qiPXl9l.gif

How can this happen? The most convuluted sinsiter reason you can think of will be accepted as the right explanation.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,193
    RichN95 wrote:
    How can this happen? The most convuluted sinsiter reason you can think of will be accepted as the right explanation.

The polarity of his prototype anti-gravity wheels suddenly flipped
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    RichN95 wrote:

qiPXl9l.gif

Jesus, did he hit an IED?!
  • The more I watch that the more it looks like it's powered :D

If it was then I'd be asking for your money back. The wheel is turning the wrong way!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    RichN95 wrote:

qiPXl9l.gif

Keep your eye on it and something has gone wrong the moment before he goes, you see the front wheel swerve one way then the other.
  • mfin wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

qiPXl9l.gif

Keep your eye on it and something has gone wrong the moment before he goes, you see the front wheel swerve one way then the other.

That's what happens when you're indecisive when confronted with a waratah (or the US equivalent) directly in your path, you see it just before he hits it
  • Watch it closely. There is a pole at the side of the road. It looks as though he clipped it with his bars, and that knocked it from vertical to an angle. He must have been almost riding in the gutter for that to happen. Weird.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    SCR Pedro wrote:
    Watch it closely. There is a pole at the side of the road. It looks as though he clipped it with his bars, and that knocked it from vertical to an angle. He must have been almost riding in the gutter for that to happen. Weird.

Good spot. Probably they were riding there as it was a smooth concrete verge.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Utah: never get off the boat.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.