Zuus Wheels

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Wut? :shock:

There is so much wrong with what you've written I don't even know where to start... so I won't.

You're under the ether. You've bought something and now you're vested so naturally you're going to think it's the best thing since sliced bread. That's fine, it's a completely natural reaction. You stick to your open-mould placebo wheels that you bought to achieve a certain aesthetic and I'll stick to my overpriced propriety wheels that I bought to lower my CfD. Different strokes, eh?

Still... PLANT.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What's the plant reference?
    I think the open mould wheels do provide some CfD improvement. I think all the stuff coming out of China is now toroidal (sp?) which seems to be the accepted 'fastest' shape. Don't think they have cottoned onto 23mm wide rims yet, though.
  • Grill
    Plant, as in a 'planted' review(er).
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Don't think they have cottoned onto 23mm wide rims yet, though.

The Chinese have been making 23mm wide rims before you were born sonny jim.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    But not the cheap uk suppliers yet I don't think?
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    coriordan wrote:
    But not the cheap uk suppliers yet I don't think?

Zuus 38s are 23mm wide at the rim with 16mm internal width.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,271
    Haha very funny. Okay, I'll tell you how it is then I will give you my opinion. I bought my Scott TT without wheels so I put the Spinergy 54 Clinchers from my Orbea in it and took it on some familiar routes. The Scott felt great. I bought the Zuus 80's for the Scott and took it on the same routes. The Scott freewheeled down the descents a lot faster than it did when it had the Spinergys in it. And, it was easier to ascend up the hills (not climbs) as well. Furthermore, I have a TACX multiplayer that allows me to ride GPS routes that I have previously ridden on the roads. The time differential between riding on one or the other was always marginal until I started riding on the roads with the Zuus wheels in. Now, a 90 min. ride on the roads takes me 97 mins. on the TACX multiplayer GPS. So, that's how it is. Now my opinion. Don't buy 3 year old carbon wheels at £1000 because you can't afford new ones at £2500 or £3500 a pair. They will be f****d. Buy new carbon wheels at £600 a pair and throw them away after 3 years before they collapse on you while your riding along at 35mph and you end up in a heap with a load of broken bones. Carbon structure albeit tortionally rigid can not withstand constant pothole hammering, and that goes for any make of carbon wheel. It's 10pm so off to bed now as I'm on the Turbo at 5:30 tomoz morning training for 90 mins. Night night. x

Fine, but where did you get your user name...? Are you from Piemonte?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Hi, I'm not a "Plant". I joined the forum as I thought it could prove to be a laugh and be informative. Time will tell. Also, Piciuplandrun is not Piedmontese dialect for "lazy imbecile" it is Piemontese for "Lazy Good for Nothing" (a subtle difference) Anyway, I'm proud to have been named Piciu Plandrun by many a very good friend as a result of living in Martiniana Po for 3 years while I enjoyed the "good life" with my wife bringing up our daughter. We lived a practically self sufficient lifestyle and I used to ride my ALAN up to Crissolo and Pian Mune most days and then ride it up to Sestriere and back at the weekends. And yes, I have registered Piciuplandrun as a Trade Mark. Feel free to offer me some £'s if you would like to use the name to create a cycling brand. After all the brand name of "Sergio Tacchini" has done well and his name translates into Steve Turkey :lol: Anyway, coming back to my comments about the Zuus 80 wheels, I've told it like it is. Take it or leave it. After all, I thought the whole idea of having deep section carbon wheels was to assist you in going faster. Well that's what they've done for me and I haven't spent £3000 - I've spent £500, so I'm happy, why wouldn't I be?
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Hi Piciuplandrun - good to see a fellow Nomad on the forum... I always wondered where you got your nickname from!

Anyway, I have nothing to add to the OP, so I'm off. (See you Sunday Piciu).

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • ugo.santalucia
    3 Years for you Vs 28 I lived in Piemonte... Piciu is not something you tell someone straight in the face without getting a punch in return, let's put it like that... :wink:
  • murf1480
    murf1480 Posts: 117
    I have a pair of 88's and a pair of 60's :)
  • londoncommuter
    The 38s look lovely once you get past the "Zipp thing". Haven't tried them yet though so possibly the least useful comment to date. Sorry.
  • sopworth
    sopworth Posts: 191
    murf1480 wrote:

Please tell me those horrendous decals can be taken off?
  • londoncommuter
    sopworth wrote:
    murf1480 wrote:

I'm afraid not.
  • murf1480
    E
    sopworth wrote:
    murf1480 wrote:

I'm afraid not.

No they can't,but I went for the stealth type logos which I think is the better option.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Back to the wheels, I am not quite sure what the fuss is about. They are built on hubs which used to retail on Ebay at 35 pounds for the set... I bought a pair 4 years ago. I am not saying they are bad hubs, as they have the same internals of the popular 171/172, but they are as budget as it gets. The spokes are the nasty Chinese ones, Pillar at best or CN if you are not so lucky. The rims are generic Chinese rims, with all the drawbacks of these, in terms of heat management etc. They also weigh 1800 grams, which is actually more than most alloy + carbon wheels on the market.... and the same as the Planet X CT 45, for instance. The latter won;t try to murder you coming down Dinnas Meddway. Definitely a lot heavier than any 20 + 24 alloy wheelset you can think of.

On top of that, you have to bear the joke of a logo that mocks the popular Zipp one and will most likely be target of jokes at any cafe' this side of the world... in the same league as those pimped-up 10 years old BMW with an M3 badge, when in fact they were originally 316. begs the question... why?
  • londoncommuter
    Back to the wheels, I am not quite sure what the fuss is about. They are built on hubs which used to retail on Ebay at 35 pounds for the set... I bought a pair 4 years ago. I am not saying they are bad hubs, as they have the same internals of the popular 171/172, but they are as budget as it gets. The spokes are the nasty Chinese ones, Pillar at best or CN if you are not so lucky. The rims are generic Chinese rims, with all the drawbacks of these, in terms of heat management etc. They also weigh 1800 grams, which is actually more than most alloy + carbon wheels on the market.... and the same as the Planet X CT 45, for instance. The latter won;t try to murder you coming down Dinnas Meddway. Definitely a lot heavier than any 20 + 24 alloy wheelset you can think of.

On top of that, you have to bear the joke of a logo that mocks the popular Zipp one and will most likely be target of jokes at any cafe' this side of the world... in the same league as those pimped-up 10 years old BMW with an M3 badge, when in fact they were originally 316. begs the question... why?

The 38mm's are 1,536g without rim tape and so are roughly 100g lighter, 1mm wider internally and 3mm deeper than the RS81 C35 I was looking at, for around the same price. I guess the main draw is that you get direct ebay prices with hopefully some UK support if there is a problem.

Not kidding myself though that these are about the looks as well and that shallow aluminium hand builts (or Zondas) are the much more sensible purchase.

I thought generally you were a fan of the cheaper Novatec hubs?
  • ugo.santalucia
    I thought generally you were a fan of the cheaper Novatec hubs?

They are OK, but when you say 499 quid is a bargain, you have to remember these cost them probably 20 USD to buy. To put it in perspective, the hubs Planet X use are more expensive.
    I don't know the spokes brand, but at a guess they are either Pillar (market P on the head) or CN (marked m on the head). The latter are among the cheapest spokes money can buy and the former are typically 1/3 to half the price of Sapim. Neither is anywhere near as good as Sapim or DT.
    Planet X rims are Taiwanese, rather than Chinese, most likely these
    http://www.gigantex.com.tw/product-view.php?id=92

So what you are buying with Zuus is not an equivalent of Farsports & Co., but more like an equivalent of those sets you see on Alibaba for a lot less...
    Basically it is one notch down from the usual popular Chinese imports. On balance I would rather take a punt on a pair of Farsports...
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Do they come with added momentum and acceleration though?!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • londoncommuter
    Do they come with added momentum and acceleration though?!

Yes they do. If you drop below a certain speed people can read the fake Zipp stickers so you have to keep pushing. I hear Tinkoff are using Cerveloo frames and 4T stems and bars this year for the same reason.
  • murf1480

I was under no illusion what I was I buying into when I brought these wheels. Both sets have been brought solely for racing I would rather trash a set of 500 quid wheels in a race than a 1500 quid set. Yes the logo isn't great but this was the reason why I went with the stealth look if somebody wants to make a joke of it crack on I'm sure I could find something of them to make a joke out of.
  • I ordered a set of the 50s for training wheels, although they sent me a set of 60s instead. Decided to keep the 60s...

Have to say, I'm impressed with the wheels. Whether they're from China, North Korea or Mumbai, they ride really nice.

I damaged my rear Da9000 C50 in an early season race, so raced the Zuus 60s in the last two races, and they've been great. Heavy? Yes, but then the early races have been flat. For a 60, I'm amazed how well behaved they are in cross wind gusts.

If you race but prescribe to the "don't race what you can't replace", motto, then I think they're a good option.

I agree with the White decals being a bit gash, hence why I ordered the stealth version. Hopefully they will rethink their typeface as I think there's genuinely a market for this type of product.
  • Recently, They have re-released the wheels with different logo design and the logo's are in a number of different colours. This may well break the whole "Rip off of Zipp" facade. Which is the whole reason I didn't go for them at first. but now I am extremely tempted and am hearing good things from this thread. :D 8)
  • londoncommuter
    Recently, They have re-released the wheels with different logo design and the logo's are in a number of different colours. This may well break the whole "Rip off of Zipp" facade. Which is the whole reason I didn't go for them at first. but now I am extremely tempted and am hearing good things from this thread. :D 8)

The green would have looked superb (in an in your face bad taste way) with my Foil. Darn my fake Zipp logos....
  • Grill
    If by 'good things' you mean one guy who joined the forum because he has a vested interest in the prosperity of said wheels, then I guess. Cheap and heavy open-mould carbon clinchers... Nothing special about them.
  • londoncommuter
    Grill wrote:
    If by 'good things' you mean one guy who joined the forum because he has a vested interest in the prosperity of said wheels, then I guess. Cheap and heavy open-mould carbon clinchers... Nothing special about them.

Yes, I've only taken mine out on a very very short shakedown ride so can't comment either way (although they didn't kill me, do look nice and were £500 less than the Assaults I was mulling over).
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    New logos look much better, decent rim width too, and currently £400! I might be interested.
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • londoncommuter
    Still not used mine enough to advise either way but if you did want a set there's an extra 10% off today.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    http://www.zuus.co.uk/zuus-carbon-aero- ... ly-399-99/

£399. Novatech, Pillar, crash replacement. Anyone tried any?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ugo.santalucia

Assuming they are any good, which if you read this thread seems a mixed bag of opinions, for someone like yourself, who shifts stuff on a fairly regular basis, it's probably best to buy some branded stuff when on offer, that has a better resale value.
    As second hand, you will struggle to get more than 100 quid for them.

I certainly won't buy your Cannondale with a pair of Zuus on... :wink: