Zuus Wheels

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    MikeBrew wrote:
    I hope that, that has clearly that up for you.

Errr, yes - that 'has clearly that up for me'! :lol:

30 degrees can be certainly be a mildly hot day. Plenty of people ride in the middle east and would be close to shivering in that sort of temperature (sl exaggeration but the point is that 30 degrees is hardly an uncommon temperature and if the wheels can't handle that, what about the frame?).

It sounds like warrior4life was just asking the wrong question in the first place hence the confusion. 30 degrees air temperature and alpine descent is an irrelevant combination - there's no reason why a manufacturer would mention them otherwise. The gradient and style of descent (ie alpine ie long) is relevant.

From this we learn that you consider typos to be note worthy, that road cycling is taking off in the middle east and that you still think that someone said that carbon wheels can't handle 30 degree C Fascinating !.... :wink:

I consider typos amusing when they are talking about clarity and failing to actually be so.

I've seen a pro team riding in the Negev desert and recreational cyclists climbing out of the dead sea. I suspect that cycling in Israel probably has seen a significant increase in popularity. But the point is that 30 degrees is far from an extreme temperature and not just in the Middle East. Just because our temperate climate makes 30 degrees a rarity here doesn't mean it is exceptionally hot everywhere.

I've never said that I think that someone said that carbon wheels can't handle 30 degrees. What I think is that you think that questioning whether carbon wheels can't handle 30 degree heat is a reasonable question - at least I think that that is what you said so apols if I am wrong. I think that anyone that thinks that carbon rims might be sensitive to 30 degree air temperatures is failing to understand that the heat generated by the friction of the pads on the braking surface is far greater than 30 degrees and that if air temperature was the issue, it wouldn't make any difference if you were using carbon clinchers or tubs.

If that's fascinating, then I'm glad to be fascinating. Better that than boring anyway.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Wow ! Boring weekend, and an empty intray this morning ? :lol:
  • I recall reading somewhere that a carbon wheel sat out in 30 degree heat can end up getting extremely hot and warping if left in direct sunlight, similar to a car bonnet, sand on the beach etc.
    I'm going with Ksyrium elites, I'm a competent descender but I wont be taking any risks or setting any records.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You probably read it on this thread where all kinds of bs is being spouted
  • Feel like I might be a lamb for slaughter in the tough world of wheel knowladgability.

But anyone had these for a while. I am looking to put them on my thrash around bike, disc version. I see the front wheel is laterally laced ........... but then so are Campag Bora's which I'm saving for. Right, I am already out of my depth.

So anyone got good or bad things about the ones they own.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Anyone bought their stems and bars ? Ridiculously cheap and would bling my summer bike up for not very much money at all.
  • I've had a pair for over a year and a half now. That was from when they were dirt cheap, I got mine well under £400 for a pair of disc brake 50mm deep wheels. Over the intervening period, I see they have changed quite a bit i.e. you have hub and spoke choices. The guy in those days seemed to have just been a UK reseller from his house ............ which is all fine we all have to make a living and it was my choice.

What I can say is for the discs they just put in a new Zuus hub with disc brake bolt fitments, no change in spoke count or spoke lacing pattern. This was fine for the rear hub which I have been using constantly circa 150km a week for 18 months now with absolutely no issues with the Zuus hub, spokes or rim. The front hub I wasn't so sure about as the spokes were radial rather than crossed which meant there was a lot of flex on breaking. One thing for sure it tested the ability of the spokes to their maximum and they made a pretty tune under heavy braking. No issues for the two months before I bought a Wheelsmith hub and re-laced them all for £50. Although I wouldn't want to have been a larger rider on them, I am circa 65kg.

When I spoke to them before I ordered they said they were tubeless compatible, although he didn't want to advertise it for fear of not coping with a deluge of support calls, he was struggling to keep up with orders at the time. Also, the labels were just stick-ons so 30mins after arriving they were all off.

What can I say? I was after a bargain 50mm deep carbon wheel. I knew I'd be able to replace the parts if they went and the brake track was obviously not an issue for me. They have been serviced twice now and the rear hub still doesn't need anything doing to it and they are well into their second winter. So yeah sitting at a bit over £400 with a replacement hub and spokes for the front wheel I think I have a very good deal and I am very happy with them.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Cheers useful stuff anyone used their bars ?
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 220
    I had horrific customer service from them last year buying some parts advertised on their website. They were not the same as the description and were missing some parts. After I eventually got hold of them via FB messanger after the phone never being answered and emails being ignored, they spun some excuses but it was clear they had no idea at all what they were selling. A simple google of the Shimano part numbers they were quoting would have shown they had the incorrect thing listed.

They never did send me the right stuff, I ended up keeping the parts as I no way trusted them to refund me and they would only do it if i sent the wrong bits back to them at my expense. I sold the incorrect calipers on eBay and bought the correct ones from a proper bike retailer.

This was the second (and last) purchase from them. The first was also missing some parts of items and some whole items. I put this down to 'sh_t happens' and chanced a second purchase - but I shouldn't have.

I tried to be polite and advise them to correct the description of the items on the website but months later it is still wrong.

Be aware that the reason their FB and media is full of glowing reviews is that if you post anything they view as negative, even if it is completely truthful and would save another purchaser from the same issues I had, they will delete your comment and then block you, rather than actually engaging to fix the problem.

The wheels might be fine, but I wouldn't give them a penny of my money, you can get cheap Chinese carbon wheels from loads of places these days. If you want a pair of wheels, give your cash to a company that actually care.
  • edward.s wrote:

Be aware that the reason their FB and media is full of glowing reviews is that if you post anything they view as negative, even if it is completely truthful and would save another purchaser from the same issues I had, they will delete your comment and then block you, rather than actually engaging to fix the problem.

Don't they use an independent service for their reviews like Feefo? :shock:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    i dont understand why having a similarity to one companies logo is so offensive yet everyone and his dog does close approximations of the actual product.

though good luck getting away with the whale bits
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    The front hub I wasn't so sure about as the spokes were radial rather than crossed which meant there was a lot of flex on breaking. One thing for sure it tested the ability of the spokes to their maximum and they made a pretty tune under heavy braking.
    Radially laced disc brake wheel? That's some dangerous stupidity right there.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    TimothyW wrote:
    The front hub I wasn't so sure about as the spokes were radial rather than crossed which meant there was a lot of flex on breaking. One thing for sure it tested the ability of the spokes to their maximum and they made a pretty tune under heavy braking.
    The current disc wheels appear to be crossed laced as you would expect.

I've had a pair of rim brake Zuus 50mm since July 2015 and they've been great. I've put about 13.5k miles on them and they still look like new with very little wear showing on the brake track.

My wheels have Novatec hubs and initially I had a problem where the rear freehub bearings developed premature play that caused an occasional weird noise. When I contacted Zuus, they immediately offered to repair the wheel FOC or send me a new freehub and pay for my LBS to fit it. When I received the replacement freehub it was missing the rubber outer seal so they apologetically sent me another FOC. Maybe things have changed in the last couple of years, but I have only had positive experience with customer care from Zuus, and I wouldn't hesitate in buying their wheels again.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    bobones wrote:
    TimothyW wrote:
    The current disc wheels appear to be crossed laced as you would expect.

I've had a pair of rim brake Zuus 50mm since July 2015 and they've been great. I've put about 13.5k miles on them and they still look like new with very little wear showing on the brake track.

My wheels have Novatec hubs and initially I had a problem where the rear freehub bearings developed premature play that caused an occasional weird noise. When I contacted Zuus, they immediately offered to repair the wheel FOC or send me a new freehub and pay for my LBS to fit it. When I received the replacement freehub it was missing the rubber outer seal so they apologetically sent me another FOC. Maybe things have changed in the last couple of years, but I have only had positive experience with customer care from Zuus, and I wouldn't hesitate in buying their wheels again.

How did you contact them? From reading the thread, it says you have to contact via facebook, which I've deleted. I suppose I could email them and see what response I get.

I'm looking to upgrade my stock Cannondale Synapse Disc Mavics. Being a Synapse, comfort is more important to me than speed/weight. I would like something that looks badass. The Aero 50mm fit that category! But if I can get those looks cheaper, I probably would.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • meursault wrote:
    I would like something that looks badass. The Aero 50mm fit that category!

I think your definition of badass is somewhat misleading... you see, badass is when you ride 100 miles in the sleet and then YOU DON"T go on rambling about it for days on social media...
    Or when you show up at the local 10 mile TT with an Halfords Carrera and you beat most or all of the opposition.

to me a pair of Aero wheels on a road bike simply is a "look at me" statement, which is the furthest thing from badass I can think of...

But then again, maybe I am wrong about what badass means... :roll:
  • Just email them and they'll replay within 24 hours.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    meursault wrote:
    How did you contact them?
    I phoned and spoke to Gary, although I don't know if they still publicise a phone number.
  • meursault
    meursault wrote:
    I would like something that looks badass. The Aero 50mm fit that category!

I think your definition of badass is somewhat misleading... you see, badass is when you ride 100 miles in the sleet and then YOU DON"T go on rambling about it for days on social media...
    Or when you show up at the local 10 mile TT with an Halfords Carrera and you beat most or all of the opposition.

to me a pair of Aero wheels on a road bike simply is a "look at me" statement, which is the furthest thing from badass I can think of...

But then again, maybe I am wrong about what badass means... :roll:

I realise I need to HTFU, but badass in this case, is strictly aesthetics.

Voltaire
  • meursault wrote:

... even so, it's not badass, maybe it looks "fast", or "PRO", but not badass... a badass looking bike is a rusty ole racer with mudguards covered in crap leaning alone against the wall and surrounded by clean shiny Pinarellos
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    bobones wrote:
    meursault wrote:
    I phoned and spoke to Gary, although I don't know if they still publicise a phone number.

They do - it's in big numbers underneath the logo on the front page of their website.
  • meursault
    meursault wrote:

... even so, it's not badass, maybe it looks "fast", or "PRO", but not badass... a badass looking bike is a rusty ole racer with mudguards covered in crap leaning alone against the wall and surrounded by clean shiny Pinarellos

0d7.jpg

Voltaire
  • bobones wrote:
    meursault wrote:

They do - it's in big numbers underneath the logo on the front page of their website.

Your post cheered me up tonite, ta.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Just a quick heads up that Zuus appear to have gone bust, with suggestions of fraud in taking peoples money after going bust.... https://road.cc/content/forum/257815-an ... heels-2019
  • TimothyW wrote:
    Just a quick heads up that Zuus appear to have gone bust, with suggestions of fraud in taking peoples money after going bust.... https://road.cc/content/forum/257815-an ... heels-2019

One of the reasons I go to a shop for my purchases.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    No major loss for anyone about to buy their wheels as it's all generic Chinese stuff rebranded with the warranty of a UK resident fraudster.

So much for UK sellers being 'trusted'. For the same money just go to farsports or light bicycle and get it shipped from Asia - far more customisable too.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    they won't be missed
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    TimothyW wrote:

One of the reasons I go to a shop for my purchases.

because shops won't stitch you up in a multiple load of ways, oh no Sireeee.

#delusion
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    they won't be missed

My bloody two year 'warranty' will be! Only had them 6 months!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    they won't be missed

My bloody two year 'warranty' will be! Only had them 6 months!

Warranty is against manufacturing defects... by now you should know... the rest will be wear, which is not covered.
    People put too much trust on warranty as if it was the solution to everything
  • ssharif
    ssharif Posts: 3
    I found out they have gone bust as I was trying to contact them for very poorly built wheels (almost all spokes coming lose in just 4 months of only weekend riding).

Extremely dishonest folks to continue taking orders right up to the point of shutting down. They have deleted their Facebook account as well as disconnected their phone line. Will need to take these poorly built wheels to a local wheel builder to see if they can help. Those like me who bought from them recently please take notice of your wheels as I guess they might have been simply sending out whatever orders they did in a rush compromising on build quality!

Please also check with your credit card company if they can help if like mine your wheels are not fit for purpose