Planet X Giovanissimi Childrens Aluminum Race Frame

UndercoverElephant
UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
edited December 2016 in Commuting chat
Oh, now this looks interesting...

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXGIOV/p ... al-headset

Available in 20, 22, 24, and 26" wheel versions. The youngest Ms. Elephant would rip up the roads on one of these. :mrgreen:

Comments

• Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Only £50?! So tempting!
    The boy's only 3 but but he'd fit the smallest in a few years. Problem is he'd also outgrow it very soon after. Still, only £50! It's very tempting! Could maybe buy a couple in different sizes? (Wonder if I can find carbon fiber forks for 26" wheels.)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Judging by the size guide I don't think that's a wheel measurement, more likely the frame size
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    itboffin wrote:
    Judging by the size guide I don't think that's a wheel measurement, more likely the frame size
    I think it is the wheel size. If it was a frame size, we'd be looking at 51cm for the smallest frame and a whopping 66cm for the largest :shock:

I wonder how easy it is to find miniature bars, cranks etc (without cannibalising TGOTB junior's Islabike). Would be awfully convenient for her to have separate road and CX bikes...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • itboffin
    Unless it's in cm, a cruel trick and PX are selling of frame set for circus fleas
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Unless it's in cm, a cruel trick and PX are selling of frame set for circus fleas
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    My 11 year old is looking for a road bike. Looks like a good starting point but a quick google doesn't show up many 26" wheel sets for road.
    The big problem I suppose is sourcing all the other bits.
    Building a bike up from parts would be an awesome learning experience for him but I reckon it would get expensive

Phil
  • Is that boss on the downtube for shifters?
    Carrera Fury for the muddy stuff
    Boardman Road Team for the black stuff
    PDQ for the TT stuff
  • tgotb
    Is that boss on the downtube for shifters?
    Yeah, but you can get cable stops that bolt onto those, for modern shifters.

When choosing shifters for kids, make sure you get something with adjustable reach (whether by twiddling a screw or inserting a chock).
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Phil485 wrote:
    My 11 year old is looking for a road bike. Looks like a good starting point but a quick google doesn't show up many 26" wheel sets for road.
    The big problem I suppose is sourcing all the other bits.
    Building a bike up from parts would be an awesome learning experience for him but I reckon it would get expensive
    You just need a decent set of 26" rim braked MTB wheels and a decentish used road bike and some tyres (Decathlon do 26x1.2 (aka 30mm) for less than £6.50 each) and you'd be good to go.

Merlin often have wheels that would work, e.g. http://www.merlincycles.com/rear-handbu ... 49010.html although stock comes and goes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • At 150cm/5 foot you should be able to get them onto the smallest of the adult road frames. None of this 26" wheel nonsense.

I mean, who makes deep profile carbon rims in 26"?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • tgotb
    I mean, who makes deep profile carbon rims in 26"?
    You'd be surprised, they come up on the TT forum second-hand, from time to time, normally at silly (low) prices. I assume some small women's bikes use them.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    To raise this thread up from history - seeing as these frames (in 20" and 24") wheel variants are now at £26, I'm seriously tempted. Can anyone who has built one up give me any advice on parts?

There is a brief Youtube video which suggests I will need to chase and face the frame.

Headset is a 1" threadless - I think Ritchey do a decent one for about a tenner, so that's sorted.

Obviously I will need wheels - presume they are 130 old at the back.
    Decathlon seem to do pairs of both the 20" and 24" wheels for around £40 - 50 a pair which seems decent enough. Anyone got any idea about tyre clearance?

For the 20", I'm initially thinking flat bar with grip or thumb shifters (I think the Decathlon wheels are screw on freewheels) so go with a 6/7 speed set up.

For the 24", I think you can get short reach 7 speed STI shifters which might be a go.

Don't appear to have brazes for Front derailleurs - so band on - what size?

Both will need 1" stem and bars

Seatpost is 27.5 I think - needs post clamp?

Needs those things that sit in the place of down tube shifters (or to use down tube shifters)...
  • At that price I'd be sorely tempted to pay someone to build it up for me, if there are any takers??
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Yes, good link, tempting isn't it? The problem is building it up as I'd have to get everything from scratch. Not sure I'd worry about a front shifter, I can never get them to use the gears anyway.
  • craker wrote:
    Yes, good link, tempting isn't it? The problem is building it up as I'd have to get everything from scratch.

Very tempting. I'd be interested to know how to build it up - never done anything like it.

In fact, it would be a great winter project with my kid. But where the hell does one start??
  • itboffin
    Buyer beware the 24" model which I bought a while back doesn't take a 24" MTB wheel it needs a road version, if you can find anyone making or selling them then hats off to you.
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    itboffin wrote:
    Buyer beware the 24" model which I bought a while back doesn't take a 24" MTB wheel it needs a road version, if you can find anyone making or selling them then hats off to you.

Looks like the rims are available here.....
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rims-tape/k ... k-32-hole/

Tyres here:
    https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres/schwa ... nch-23520/

Admittedly, you'd have to build the wheels yourself though (which isn't that difficult)
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • I have built one up for my daughter mostly using the advice and guidance of Pat@ kids racing

http://kidsracing.co.uk/custom-built-pl ... oad-bikes/
  • itboffin
    antsmithmk wrote:
    I have built one up for my daughter mostly using the advice and guidance of Pat@ kids racing

http://kidsracing.co.uk/custom-built-pl ... oad-bikes/

yeah i saw that link when i was desperately searching, what did is cost to build up a set of bespoke 24" road wheels?
  • mroli
    I saw that link which sent me to the Planet X site in the first place! Those kids are v cool....

If you don't mind locknuts - these might do? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-x-1-3-8-JU ... 2353700357
  • itboffin
    No they won't I emailed them and I tried a set from a friends, too wide
  • I bought a set of Brompton wheels for my daughters. They fit perfect.

https://www.taylor-wheels.com/bike-whee ... ike-wheel/

I can vouch for the company. From order to delivery was a week and skewers and rim tape included.
  • mroli
    itboffin wrote:
    No they won't I emailed them and I tried a set from a friends, too wide
    That's interesting, the blurb says they are 130 old, and not 135. Have you measured the gap on the frame?
  • mroli
    antsmithmk wrote:
    I bought a set of Brompton wheels for my daughters. They fit perfect.

I can vouch for the company. From order to delivery was a week and skewers and rim tape included.
    Brompton wheels would be too small for the 24"? I looked at these guys and all their rear wheels are 135 old....

Airnimal bikes are 24"? http://www.avonvalleycyclery.co.uk/1616 ... h-rim.aspx

Would do the job as a rim?
  • itboffin
    antsmithmk wrote:
    I bought a set of Brompton wheels for my daughters. They fit perfect.

That is interesting because I also bought a rear 24" from them for my daughter's MTB and as you say good company.

It's not the hub width that's the issues it's the rim width to frame clearance.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    My brother built up a couple of these for his twins - 20" wheel version. To be honest it sounded a right faff and I'm not sure he's ever added up what it actually cost. Nice project if you're looking for one, but if you just want a decent value kids' bike you'd probably be better off buying a second hand Isla / Frog etc, looking after it then cashing in when you sell it on.
  • mroli
    itboffin wrote:

It's not the hub width that's the issues it's the rim width to frame clearance.

Ah - that's interesting. Front and rear?
  • itboffin
    Yup total ball ache I complained to PX about them knowingly selling a frame set which you will struggle to build up, they added a tiny disclaimer to the product listing.

No refund or apologie mind
  • itboffin wrote:
    Yup total ball ache I complained to PX about them knowingly selling a frame set which you will struggle to build up, they added a tiny disclaimer to the product listing.

No refund or apologie mind

There are 3 issues I think.

1. Bottom bracket shell. Can be fixed by using a threadless bottom bracket.

2. Headset. I had to drop the frame into the LBS to have it faced and bored out. Cost me £15.

3. Alignment issues with the frame. Had to man handle the rear wheel into the drop outs using more force than you should really need to.

For £24 I'm OK with those issues. The rrp price of £100 I would not be happy.