Won't somebody think of the millionaires?

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,478
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Vtech,
    You are the one missing the point on the bike analogy.
    Any semi-competent cyclist can ride any bike to it's limits on a public road.
    Safety and laws limit what even the best drivers can do in a super car on a public road.

Can you not even acknowledge that last sentence?
    I have stated again and again that super cars belong on a track. Or for poseurs who will never use them properly which is a waste.
    I cannot be bothered to repeat that last point any more but it is FACT.

There you go, I used caps, making it fact.

Who's to say how a car is supposed to be used 'properly'. Surely if Ferrari thought the only proper use for their cars was to drive them flat out then they wouldn't bother making them as road going vehicles. Maybe people just enjoy being in the interior of a well made car and the sound of the engine or the beauty of the styling. Or maybe they are attention whores and know the only way anyone will look at them is by sitting in a hugely expensive car. I fall into the latter category and will straight off to the Aston garage the day I win the Euro Millions.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Vtech,
    Safety and laws limit what even the best drivers can do in a super car on a public road.

I have stated again and again that super cars belong on a track. Or for poseurs who will never use them properly which is a waste.

I acknowledge the sentence but I don't agree, I can't ride a bike to its limit, the limit is me as I fall off going round a bend too quick and one that I am sure a competent tier like yourself would spin round easily.

I don't think my ferrari or lamborghini is good for the track, not in the form they came from the factory in. they are just too slow and wouldn't "please me"
    Far a tenth of the money I bought a X-Bow which would destroy them both.

But......I do get your point and you are right, there is no "real" place for a ferrari/lambo etc on the road other than as a sign of wealth or of ownership. They are not too comfortable and are poor on fuel. My transit custom is a beast and fits with everything I need a vehicle for and love it.
    Living MY dream.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Vtech,

Bicycles have no performance envelope, its ALL down to the rider, what they can or cannot do.
    a performance car, let alone a m/c is something to be enjoyed and that covers many different aspects of ownership, inc performance but yes also vanity.
    Folk buy these cars because they can, just as they buy a Rolex or that villa in Tuscany and as for accidents, the vast majority are caused by, as you acknowledge, poor driving, not speed.

fwiw a m/c like a fireblade has far more accessible performance, I was once asked where an earth could I use that 2.5sec 0 to 60 and 180mph top end and I said "anywhere" :D
    but the most enjoyable car I have ever driven, was a fiat Panda hired in Majorca, a great car that put a real smile on face and I don't really know why, it was just fun!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,735
    Pross wrote:
    I fall into the latter category and will straight off to the Aston garage the day I win the Euro Millions.
    That is exactly what I thought.
    Now that I am in the position to buy and I have driven one seriously, I have concluded that there is no point.
    The Seat Leon FR that we used for the instruction laps had all the performance that I will ever need on the road. It is truly amazing to find out how much grip a modern car has at it's limits. It makes me wonder how people manage to crash. Panic probably.
    The hunt for the next car goes on.
    A car with a style that I like, can perform as well as the Leon and a bit of comfort for an aging fellow. Fortunately there are quite a few.

Just how far O/T are we now?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    VTech wrote:
    I can park anything into a space as long as there is physical room to do so

Recent photographic evidence suggests otherwise... :wink:

I certainly didn't want a Rolex when I was a kid - I wanted a Casio calculator watch. Perhaps yours are different, but most kids don't have that level of vanity - it comes later in life.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,478
    I'd never heard of a Rolex when I was a kid. A Casio or Seiko where the best of my ambitions, anything except a Timex! I did get the Casio calculator watch though so I was a happy child. :lol:
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    When I was a kid my only requirement of a watch was that it had a stopwatch that I could start and stop really, really quickly to see how many split seconds I could do it in. 0.14 s was my best ever. Later I moved on to more advanced uses such as seeing how long I could hold my breath.

The only "nice" watch I've ever had was a Seiko that my Nan and Grandad bought me for £40 for my 15th birthday. 19 years on and it's still keeping time perfectly and as long as it keeps on like that, I'll never buy myself another watch except digital watches to time myself when I'm doing something sporty.
  • 206943.jpg
    tick - tick - tick
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    VTech wrote:
    If you won £100m on the euro lottery do you buy an mx5 or a Ferrari ?

I live in Zone 2 of London. I'd buy back my old tricked out Eunos Roadster (Japanese import MX5 for anyone not in the know) and a house with somewhere to keep it. Bloody awesome car that was, but I no longer need it (and still wouldn't, lotto win or no lotto win).

Anything more would be flagrant decadence and I save that for pushbikes. :D
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • VTech
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I fall into the latter category and will straight off to the Aston garage the day I win the Euro Millions.
    That is exactly what I thought.
    Now that I am in the position to buy and I have driven one seriously, I have concluded that there is no point.
    The Seat Leon FR that we used for the instruction laps had all the performance that I will ever need on the road. It is truly amazing to find out how much grip a modern car has at it's limits. It makes me wonder how people manage to crash. Panic probably.
    The hunt for the next car goes on.
    A car with a style that I like, can perform as well as the Leon and a bit of comfort for an aging fellow. Fortunately there are quite a few.

Just how far O/T are we now?

Your in a minority, there is no way on earth I would pick a Seat over an Aston given the choice.
    I love Seat, they are great cars and VERY fast but you don't buy an Aston to drive fast, you buy an Aston to drive !

The Aston Martin is iconic, ok they are not fast, even the top of the line are slow compared with the others but something is so special about the AM brand.
    Living MY dream.
  • pblakeney
    Meh.
    All noise and show.

I like being different anyway.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • VTech
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Meh.
    All noise and show.

I like being different anyway.

Out of interest, money no object. What track car would you buy ?
    Living MY dream.
  • pblakeney
    VTech wrote:
    That is not a question that I have ever pondered up until now.
    Money no object, an old F1 car but I wouldn't have the bottle to drive it so I would need to choose something lesser.

I truly do not know but I think it wouldn't be open. I can think about this when I am bored at work tomorrow.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    If you won £100m on the euro lottery do you buy an mx5 or a Ferrari ?

I live in Zone 2 of London. I'd buy back my old tricked out Eunos Roadster (Japanese import MX5 for anyone not in the know) and a house with somewhere to keep it. Bloody awesome car that was, but I no longer need it (and still wouldn't, lotto win or no lotto win).

Anything more would be flagrant decadence and I save that for pushbikes. :D

I currently own a tricked out Roadster (Turbo'd) and live in Zone 1, granted I rarely drive it. :(
    If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
  • VTech wrote:
    Go watch the matrix movies, it explains everything you need to know about humans and how they work.
    Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg
  • VTech wrote:

A Mk1 Golf Gti.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    In this instance, I agree with VTechs post... 8)

I see what you did there :):)

Shooting fish in a barrel. :)
  • VTech
    steerpike wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Go watch the matrix movies, it explains everything you need to know about humans and how they work.

Ive always found it fascinating when people post an image as an answer but do it using an image that they know is meant to cause either distress or a sign of depression. Ive found it is closely linked to people with huge failings in life (no offence meant) as they tend to be the ones that find it difficult to express themselves. Its more sad when an incredibly wonderful comment or gesture has been made yet it was wasted on the person posting the image only showing his or her lack of understanding.

Ill give an example, if only to allow you to understand the point being made.

The matrix movies were aimed at showing how humans are the destruction of the planet, it shows how we consume, over populate and in the end can't contain ourselves and hence a setup is built to feed us up and use us for energy.
    This is actually quite factual, hence my pointing toward the movie which in turn is missed by your post.

Anyway, the kids are back at school today so I've more free time, wonder what I can do with it ?
    Living MY dream.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    VTech wrote:
    steerpike wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Ive always found it fascinating when people post an image as an answer but do it using an image that they know is meant to cause either distress or a sign of depression. Ive found it is closely linked to people with huge failings in life (no offence meant) as they tend to be the ones that find it difficult to express themselves. Its more sad when an incredibly wonderful comment or gesture has been made yet it was wasted on the person posting the image only showing his or her lack of understanding.

Ill give an example, if only to allow you to understand the point being made.

The matrix movies were aimed at showing how humans are the destruction of the planet, it shows how we consume, over populate and in the end can't contain ourselves and hence a setup is built to feed us up and use us for energy.
    This is actually quite factual, hence my pointing toward the movie which in turn is missed by your post.

Anyway, the kids are back at school today so I've more free time, wonder what I can do with it ?

My interpretation is that Steerpike is implying you are the one that needs help (no offence intended). Why do you not use your time doing something useful rather than posting on here (again no offence intended).
  • VTech wrote:

Au contraire old bean; a picture paints a thousand words.
    tick - tick - tick
  • VTech
    I do things that are useful, I employ people, I entertain, I have fun, I help people, I do loads for others and genuinely never ask for anything in return. I've lived my life in a way that if me or my family need something I get it done, I don't live a regretful life and I do whatever I like as long as its both legal and doesn't hurt others.
    The problem with life is that no matter what choices you make, you pi55 people off.

You live once, I don't believe in life after death so I'm making the most of my one-shot.
    Living MY dream.
  • pblakeney
    VTech wrote:
    Following some serious consideration, in a fantasy World I think it would be the McLaren P1.
    Assuming I could get my hands on one.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • VTech
    PBlakeney wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Following some serious consideration, in a fantasy World I think it would be the McLaren P1.
    Assuming I could get my hands on one.

Wise choice, I honestly can't think of a better road car to use on the track.
    Living MY dream.
  • Ben6899
    VTech wrote:
    steerpike wrote:
    VTech wrote:

It's a facepalm. It doesn't necessitate such analysis.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • VTech
    Ben6899 wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    steerpike wrote:
    VTech wrote:

Forgive me then but why are you bothering to reply ?
    Living MY dream.
  • Ben6899
    VTech wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    steerpike wrote:
    VTech wrote:

I was under the reasonable impression that you needed the facepalm explaining as you completely misinterpreted it.
    Ben

• VTech
    Ben6899 wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    steerpike wrote:
    VTech wrote:

I was under the reasonable impression that you needed the facepalm explaining as you completely misinterpreted it.

Im not sure I did.
    Living MY dream.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    VTech wrote:
    I do things that are useful, I employ people, I entertain, I have fun, I help people, I do loads for others and genuinely never ask for anything in return. I've lived my life in a way that if me or my family need something I get it done, I don't live a regretful life and I do whatever I like as long as its both legal and doesn't hurt others.
    The problem with life is that no matter what choices you make, you pi55 people off.

You live once, I don't believe in life after death so I'm making the most of my one-shot.

In which case why not do not more of this, you are wasting your time on this forum as you don't appear to cycle anymore. In my honest opinion in a lot of your posts you come across in a crass, belittling and unintelligent fashion. If the above is really true then I don't understand why you waste your time here making thousands of posts achieving very little. Your choice is simple, don't post here anymore and spend it doing the above - you only live once.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,584
    VTech wrote:

You do bang on about cars far too much.
  • pblakeney
    You do bang on about cars far too much.
    Why would this be a problem in an off topic forum?
    Veronese68 wrote: