Impey - Cleared of doping

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    But in Impey's case this wasn't a supplement but a home made booster made with something you can buy in the baking isle and some empty gel capsules.
    Yeah, I know. I was pointing out that a lot of teams wouldn't have let Impey do that because of the risks.

Ah, I see.

Still for Impey he has a post race career as home-made pharmaceutical manufacturer sorted, I hear there's an opening in the Albuquerque area.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:

What a comedian.
    He's not trying to be funny. He's pointing out that it's not banned because it is essentially food.

To be fair though a serious pro-cyclist should be laying off the cakes and baked goods :wink:*

EDIT - *we now have the answer to why Jan was still so fast while so fat!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,918
    Pokerface wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Soda doping:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18607226
    http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/23/1/41.abstract

legal and some evidence of efficacy (only skimmed these abstracts).

I'm not entirely questioning why Impey would use bicarb, or choose to put it in capsules, etc.

But having used it many times myself, from what I know, the science says it's only useful in efforts up to 7-8 minutes max for lactate buffering. And you would be taking .3g per kg of body weight to facilitate.

We use it on the track a lot for Pursuit efforts as it works a charm. (Racing only as it plays havoc with your digestive system).

So him using it for a longer event plus having it in gel capsules is odd to me. There IS a protocol where you load it up over 3 days - smaller doses more often - so it's possible he was doing it this way. But the effectiveness would still be limited in a longer event.

What other dubiously legal performance enhancing drugs do track athletes use?
    Why is it not banned?

I think they might use dubious products such as carbohydrates for energy and protein to build and repair muscles. Some real deviants even use high quantities of sugar to get a short term boost. I guess questioning the use of everyday food items scientifically to assist performance is the ultimate end game in the point Bender Rodriguez has been pushing recently about whether something is cheating even if it isn't banned!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,961
    Pokerface wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Soda doping:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18607226
    http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/23/1/41.abstract

legal and some evidence of efficacy (only skimmed these abstracts).

I'm not entirely questioning why Impey would use bicarb, or choose to put it in capsules, etc.

But having used it many times myself, from what I know, the science says it's only useful in efforts up to 7-8 minutes max for lactate buffering. And you would be taking .3g per kg of body weight to facilitate.

We use it on the track a lot for Pursuit efforts as it works a charm. (Racing only as it plays havoc with your digestive system).

So him using it for a longer event plus having it in gel capsules is odd to me. There IS a protocol where you load it up over 3 days - smaller doses more often - so it's possible he was doing it this way. But the effectiveness would still be limited in a longer event.

I prefer the 'Combining with flour and buttermilk, baking, then filling with sausage bacon and egg' protocol.

Not very effective as a PED though
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    RichN95 wrote:

What a comedian.
    He's not trying to be funny. He's pointing out that it's not banned because it is essentially food.

So a 'food product' is not prohibited even if it can be performance enhancing?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Why is it not banned?
    This is the issue with defining what is doping and what not. Just because something helps performance and has a name you don't immediately recognise because you're no aspiring Bake Off contestant doesn't mean it needs to be banned. Ban gels? Ban pasta? Ban bananas? Ban water? They do aid performance
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    Pretty much. Eating vegetables enhances performance compared to eating doughnuts, but they don't ban vegetables because of it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    edited August 2014
    RichN95 wrote:

What a comedian.

Frenchie all food products are performance enhancing on some level.

Edit- Must resist having an Annemarie Mol moment.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,212
    RichN95 wrote:

What a comedian.

Water is performance enhancing too; let's get back to the good old days and ban that as well :roll:
  • frenchfighter
    FJS wrote:
    Why is it not banned?
    This is the issue with defining what is doping and what not. Just because something helps performance and has a name you don't immediately recognise because you're no aspiring Bake Off contestant doesn't mean it needs to be banned. Ban gels? Ban pasta? Ban bananas? Ban water? They do aid performance

Exactly, I bet it is more enhancing then 5.0 × 10-11 grams of clen.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    Exactly, I bet it is more enhancing then 5.0 × 10-11 grams of clen.
    Ah, so that was where you were going with this.
  • above_the_cows
    One of the founding father's of STS (Science and Technology Studies) and Actor-Network Theory, Bruno Latour, from the page open on my desk right now...
    Thus, the questions to ask about any agent are simply the following: Does it make a difference in the course of another agent's actions or not? Is there some trial that allows us to detect this difference?

I love it when work life meets other life.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    This thread is awesome. Keep it up!

And yes, it is really great to see the process going through so quickly. That said, we can't draw any meaningful conclusions from this, or the fact that so many cases take so long, simply because we rarely ever know the full facts.
  • above_the_cows
    To avoid performance enhancement all pro-cyclists must now subsist on a diet of:

Cheap white wine
    Jägerbombs
    Smokey bacon frazzles
    Cadbury's fruit and nut

Anything I left off the list?
  • RichN95.
    Cadbury's fruit and nut
    But that's got fruit in it. And nuts. I'd consider that doping. Curly Wurlys are more acceptable.

Fried chicken should be allowed, I think, as along as you don't have a side of sweetcorn.
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:
    Cadbury's fruit and nut
    But that's got fruit in it. And nuts. I'd consider that doping. Curly Wurlys are more acceptable.

Fried chicken should be allowed, I think, as along as you don't have a side of sweetcorn.

True, Curly Wurlys surely have far less nutritional content than a Fruit and Nut.

The fried chicken has to be from non-organic battery farmed chickens for it to count.

I'll add another couple:

Bitterballen and hagelslag.
  • Well I never there's some cross over between the Great British Bake Off and cycling after all.
    I thought there was already?

Mary Berry is a sub 25min club 10 rider so I heard.
  • frenchfighter
    One of the founding father's of STS (Science and Technology Studies) and Actor-Network Theory, Bruno Latour, from the page open on my desk right now...
    Thus, the questions to ask about any agent are simply the following: Does it make a difference in the course of another agent's actions or not? Is there some trial that allows us to detect this difference?

I think you need to be an academic to understand that quote. Uff, I'm tired reading it. Give me some Montaigne.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    To avoid performance enhancement all pro-cyclists must now subsist on a diet of:

Cheap white wine
    Jägerbombs
    Smokey bacon frazzles
    Cadbury's fruit and nut

Anything I left off the list?

Jagerbombs? The energy boost after one of those is incredible and they have on occassion helped me through to midnight on a night out when I was flagging at 10pm!!
  • Pross
    Give me some Montaigne.

Is that a PED or just a foodstuff?
  • frenchfighter

Why do you think there are lots of huge Americans? Surely it is due to the HGH pumped into the cheap meat.

Which begs the question. If you give a prohibited drug to an animal and eat it is that legal?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross

Why do you think there are lots of huge Americans? Surely it is due to the HGH pumped into the cheap meat.

Which begs the question. If you give a prohibited drug to an animal and eat it is that legal?

I suspect it's more to do with the quantity they eat and the amount of fat and sugar in that food (he says having just eaten a sausage roll, egg mayo sandwich and bag of Doritos and about to tuck into a pastry).
  • RichN95.
    edited August 2014
    If you give a prohibited drug to an animal and eat it is that legal?
    Well that depends. Does the drug then pass into the athletes system? If so, then you would have consumed the drug yourself, and that is illegal. (However, it may have considerable bearing on culpability)

And as to your quaestion as to why Americans are so big: a) the size of the portions and b) corn syrup
  • frenchfighter
    Pross wrote:
    having just eaten a sausage roll, egg mayo sandwich and bag of Doritos and about to tuck into a pastry).

:shock:

They don't do things by halves over there do they. Going to wash that down with 5 pints Cardiff style? :wink:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows

I think you need to be an academic to understand that quote. Uff, I'm tired reading it. Give me some Montaigne.

It simply means that we should consider things other than humans to be actors or agents, to consider that they have power. So food is an agent, it makes a difference say to performance because without food you cannot perform. Or say bi-carbonate of soda, does it make a difference? The second sentence asks us if there is a way of testing this difference, to see whether or not the 'suspected' agent is indeed an agent. And as others have helpfully posted there are ways of testing bi-carbonate of soda to see whether or not it makes a difference.

It's exactly the thinking that goes into establishing whether something is a PED or not, does it make a difference, can we test for this difference. The decision then to class some things as PEDs and others as not is entirely normative.

Does this mean that people who take PEDs are not cheaters. No it doesn't. Does it mean that people who drink coffee are dopers. No it doesn't. Those are based on rules that have been normatively established and agreed upon as rules to be followed by dint of people agreeing to take part in the sport.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Laughs in incredulity.
  • RichN95.
    Joelsim wrote:
    Laughs in incredulity.
    So what would be a credible scenario for you?

Because the alternative is this: Impey takes a doping product, and realises that he could test positive. So rather than just dropping out of the race and waiting for it to pass takes an even more easily identifiable masking agent (and a poor one at that) and not only enters the race but then wins it to ensure that he will be tested. Then after being caught goes to his pharmasist who has either amazingly luckily served the exact drug two hours earlier or has forged documents for Impey despite all the computerised records that pharmacists have to keep that can be cross-referenced - thereby gambling with his entire career and liberty.

That to you is more likely than someone being a bit sloppy at work?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I guess we will never know Rich.
  • RichN95.
    Joelsim wrote:
    I guess we will never know Rich.
    I know which option happens all over the world on a daily basis though

In any situation ask whether it can be easily explained by someone f***ing up. If it can then it's highly likely to be be the reason for the situation.
  • RichN95 wrote:

So, what happens if someone's diet is deficient in sodium bicarbonate?

If a substance is not strictly needed for nutritional purposes (unlike protein, carbohydrate, vitamins and so forth) then how can it be considered 'food?

There is also the issue of taking substances in quantities or in concentrations that cannot be realistically derived from eating natural food products, such as creatine.

All such products that are 'performance enhancing' and are taken in unnecessary (from a health point of view) or unnatural quantities or concentrations are, strictly speaking, a form of doping, albeit a form of doping that is allowed by WADA rules.
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.