Impey - Cleared of doping

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
edited October 2014 in Pro race
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• Fact being stranger than fiction, again.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    To be fair, it's the only thing that makes any kind of sense.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Reasoning makes some sense. And if there evidence was there then glad he's been cleared.

But what's with the bicarb of soda self dosage?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Soda doping:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18607226
    http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/23/1/41.abstract

legal and some evidence of efficacy (only skimmed these abstracts).
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited August 2014
    Plausible yes. But it is just his word against the result. Lets be honest - what is to prevent Impey paying this guy 10k to say that? It is so easily manipulated I am surprised the authorities allowed it to pass. Most riders get taken down for not being able to prove otherwise even if they have a ton of people voicing for them. (I am not saying Impey is doping btw as I have no idea, just pointing out the inconsistencies).

Mods can you merge it with the proper thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12974429

edit. just seen the part about receipts which gives it more credence I guess.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Well I never there's some cross over between the Great British Bake Off and cycling after all.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    Plausible yes. But it is just his word against the result. Lets be honest - what is to prevent Impey paying this guy 10k to say that? It is so easily manipulated I am surprised the authorities allowed it to pass. Most riders get taken down for not being able to prove otherwise even if they have a ton of people voicing for them. (I am not saying Impey is doping btw as I have no idea, just pointing out the inconsistencies).

Mods can you merge it with the proper thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12974429

edit. just seen the part about receipts which gives it more credence I guess.

I think it was probably the pharmacist's ability to produce physical receipts, time-logged etc., which would be harder to forge, that swung it for Impey.
  • frenchfighter
    A clause in Impey’s contract with Orica-GreenEdge forced the South African to pay back his salary to the team in the case of a guilty doping verdict.

"The amount of money I have lost is hard to quantify. It’s a huge loss of income."

Presumably he will get his money back?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    A clause in Impey’s contract with Orica-GreenEdge forced the South African to pay back his salary to the team in the case of a guilty doping verdict.

"The amount of money I have lost is hard to quantify. It’s a huge loss of income."

You would think so. I mean would you sign a contract that said you had to pay back your salary if found guilty of something but that then said it would not be paid back if you were cleared? I wouldn't. But then I find it odd that in the article it says if he was 'found guilty' but surely he was not found guilty, he was informed of a positive test, his guilt was to be determined at the hearing at which he was cleared. All very strange.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Well I never there's some cross over between the Great British Bake Off and cycling after all.

Except in cycling if someone takes your "showstopper" out of the fridge for a bit, it can have serious consequences, just ask Ricco.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Don't think he's talking about salary. More likely it's lost additional earnings associated with the higher media profile he missed through non-selection for GTs. Plus the distress of having somebody crawl the web for you to keep tabs on what's being done to your reputation.

Speaking of reputations, I doubt the pharmacist is finding his involvement good for business. Congrats to him for coming forward, if indeed he had a choice in the matter.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • above_the_cows
    mr_poll wrote:

Except in cycling if someone takes your "showstopper" out of the fridge for a bit, it can have serious consequences, just ask Ricco.

:lol:
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Not entirely convinced by this judgement. If this was a Russian athlete being cleared by the Russian sports authorities would you feel so satisfied? If we are to accept the pharmacist's logs and receipts who's to say Impey didn't buy the probencid in the transaction before his purchase of empty gelatine capsules?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    mr_poll wrote:

*applause*
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Not entirely convinced by this judgement. If this was a Russian athlete being cleared by the Russian sports authorities would you feel so satisfied? If we are to accept the pharmacist's logs and receipts who's to say Impey didn't buy the probencid in the transaction before his purchase of empty gelatine capsules?
    What were the times and dates on the receipts? And what about the pescription for the probenicid - what did that say? And how did that cross-check with recorded databases. This is a pharmacy, not a newsagents. I'm assuming you must have seen all of these to have a more sound judgement than the anti-doping authorities. Or are you just guessing because your lust for scandal and conspriacy outweighs your desire for justice.

Are you happy with South African/Russian defendants being cleared by South African/Russian criminal courts - as happens every single day? Or is every defendant by definition guilty?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    There's not a full statement from SAIDS so without this I'm not 100% convinced. Perhaps it will be appealed?
  • RichN95.
    There's not a full statement from SAIDS so without this I'm not 100% convinced.
    Are you more of an expert than the anti-doping authorities then? If there is an appeal will CAS be calling on your opinion and if so do you think it could be prejudiced by evidence.

Seriously, why does anyone think that their opinion, based on having seen absolutely no evidence, is more valid than those of properly appointed and qualified authorities?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163

Presumably he never had to pay it to them in the first place as he never got a guilty verdict. As someone else has said I suspect the second part of that statement refers to additional earnings he would have made had he been allowed to keep riding which I would have said could be easily quantified as zero given Impey's success rate and the short time he has been suspended.
  • Pross
    It's been a fast turnaround in this case (at least since the positive was announced).
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Pross wrote:
    It's been a fast turnaround in this case (at least since the positive was announced).

That makes a change, and it's to be applauded.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Pross
    Yep, it also seems that Impey was fairly organised and able to account for everything he used which must have helped. A lot of riders could learn from that so that they can prove their innocence when claiming some form of contamination.
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    Yep, it also seems that Impey was fairly organised and able to account for everything he used which must have helped. A lot of riders could learn from that so that they can prove their innocence when claiming some form of contamination.
    Always record the batch numbers of supplements*. Which is why the more organised teams only allow riders to use supplements that come via the team.

*If you get tested. Bit pointless otherwise.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Soda doping:

I'm not entirely questioning why Impey would use bicarb, or choose to put it in capsules, etc.

But having used it many times myself, from what I know, the science says it's only useful in efforts up to 7-8 minutes max for lactate buffering. And you would be taking .3g per kg of body weight to facilitate.

We use it on the track a lot for Pursuit efforts as it works a charm. (Racing only as it plays havoc with your digestive system).

So him using it for a longer event plus having it in gel capsules is odd to me. There IS a protocol where you load it up over 3 days - smaller doses more often - so it's possible he was doing it this way. But the effectiveness would still be limited in a longer event.
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Always record the batch numbers of supplements*. Which is why the more organised teams only allow riders to use supplements that come via the team.

*If you get tested. Bit pointless otherwise.

But in Impey's case this wasn't a supplement but a home made booster made with something you can buy in the baking isle and some empty gel capsules.
  • frenchfighter
    Pross wrote:

Yeah only two months which is why I am confused about his talk about loss of money.

Pretty sure if they didn't give the money back he could sue them.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Pokerface wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Soda doping:

I'm not entirely questioning why Impey would use bicarb, or choose to put it in capsules, etc.

But having used it many times myself, from what I know, the science says it's only useful in efforts up to 7-8 minutes max for lactate buffering. And you would be taking .3g per kg of body weight to facilitate.

We use it on the track a lot for Pursuit efforts as it works a charm. (Racing only as it plays havoc with your digestive system).

So him using it for a longer event plus having it in gel capsules is odd to me. There IS a protocol where you load it up over 3 days - smaller doses more often - so it's possible he was doing it this way. But the effectiveness would still be limited in a longer event.

What other dubiously legal performance enhancing drugs do track athletes use?
    Why is it not banned?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    But in Impey's case this wasn't a supplement but a home made booster made with something you can buy in the baking isle and some empty gel capsules.
    Yeah, I know. I was pointing out that a lot of teams wouldn't have let Impey do that because of the risks.
  • frenchfighter

What a comedian.

Among the more popular ergogenic aids is the use of sodium bicarbonate
    er·go·gen·ic
    ˌərgəˈjenik/
    adjective
    (not in technical use) intended to enhance physical performance, stamina, or recovery.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.

What a comedian.
    He's not trying to be funny. He's pointing out that it's not banned because it is essentially food.