Turbo Trainer Bike?

crossed
crossed Posts: 237
edited September 2014 in Training, fitness and health
Due to having a load of studying to be doing through the winter on top of work, It looks like I'll be having to use the turbo trainer as and when I get a chance to rather than getting out on the bike as much as I'd like to.

I currently use my CX bike as a road bike as well and it often gets used on the turbo when needed. Having just seen a link to one of the Carrera bike on Halfords' website for £230 I was wondering if people think it's worth picking one of them up specifically for using on the turbo?
I know they're not a fantastic spec but I'd have thought they'd be fine for using indoors.

Does anyone have a bike just for using on the turbo trainer?

Comments

• bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Yes. When I got a new "best" bike I kept the previous model and use for training.

This was mainly to save the hassle of swapping bikes (my indoor training is done upstairs). Training time is valuable and I didnt want to waste it moving bikes around.

However there is a potential downside. Turbos are great places to work on bike setup. So whatever bike you buy should be as similar as possible to your road bike. If you train in one position and ride in another it may cause problems.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    As bahzob mentions about bike set up, my turbo bike is set up as near as damn it to my road bikes with the exception of gearing. I have harder gearing for the turbo bike than on the road bikes, 52/39 & 12/25 as opposed to 50/34 & 11/26, 50/34 11/28 on the road bikes.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Crossed wrote:
    I expect a few people have, but not many will have bought a new bike specially for the purpose. How long does it take you to put the bike in the turbo?
  • Just bought a Felt F95 for this reason. Sick of having my best bike in and out of the turbo. It will be used for winter training as well though so ill probably need a 3rd road bike........
  • diamonddog
    deanflyer wrote:
    Just bought a Felt F95 for this reason. Sick of having my best bike in and out of the turbo. It will be used for winter training as well though so ill probably need a 3rd road bike........
    My turbo bike has been on the turbo for over 2 years and only a front derailleur cable needed so more than earned it's keep.
  • crossed
    crossed Posts: 237
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Crossed wrote:
    I expect a few people have, but not many will have bought a new bike specially for the purpose. How long does it take you to put the bike in the turbo?

As I use my CX bike for general weekend riding as well as commuting, my main issue if the time spent messing about swapping wheels back and forth rather than just being able to go out to the garage and jump straight on a bike that's ready to go.
    I know it sounds a bit lazy but it doesn't take much to distract me from going on the turbo!
  • diamonddog
    On the days I cannot get out after work I am on the turbo within 5 mins of being home, I have found it a real plus to just have a bike pemanently on the turbo.
  • Crossed wrote:
    I know it sounds a bit lazy but it doesn't take much to distract me from going on the turbo!

I know what you mean. I have clothes laid out ready and water bottles full and in their cages. Laptop and fan all set up.
    I like to be spinning my legs before I have had a chance to talk myself out of it.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • I'm planning doing it the other way around.
    Take the back wheels off the summer carbon racer bike for the winter, put it in a turbo trainer and use a winter bike outdoors.
    When summer comes around again pack up the winter bike and the turbo trainer and put the back wheel back on the racer.
  • Over the winter I put my S-Works on the turbo and last year made do with a winter bike outside. This year I have a new winter bike for when the weather is OK.

I personally don't mind the turbo when it's poor weather outside so to me it makes sense to have my best bike on the turbo.

Then in the summer I swap the bikes over.