Calling all Edge 1000 owners - advice please

dubbs2009
dubbs2009 Posts: 310
edited June 2016 in Road general
Hi Guys,

I need to make a decision between an Edge 800 and a 1000...

Edge 800 very highly liked by many still - but for £250 I am not sure it makes sense as its now a 5 year old piece of hardware???

Edge 1000 looks lovely - Surely worth the extra £130 isn't it?

Cant help but think, spending 2/3rds of the price of the 1000 on the 800 which is now being phased out by Garmin is silly right now (also 4 years since it was released!)... But it does appeal due to low price and being seen as a very reliable tool - I currently use a Forerunner 305! That's run with no issue whatsoever for nearly 10 years now! I value Garmin's old skool build.. Part of me is worried about the 1000 being a bit "showy" and not too well engineered under the bonnet...

Have the firmware updates to 2.3 fixed all the early Edge 1000 bugs now? How is battery life - read many posts of it being nearer 6/7hours with mapping on during a ride...

Is it possible to have navigation on, but display a custom screen of ride data, with navigation running in the background, then when you approach a turn it takes over the screen to prompt you of the upcoming turn? Does this save on battery?

Looking for advice please...

Cheers,

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Why are you comparing the 800 with the 1000 when the 810 superseded the 800? I can't vouch for the 1000, but the issue with the 810 was with bluetooth connectivity to your phone and LiveTrack failing. These issues have now been resolved for the 810 and presumably for the 1000.

I was going to upgrade from the 810 to the 1000 for the phone display function, but someone on here educated me about assigning specific ring and text tones to the one or two individuals whose calls/messages I would immediately need to respond to during a ride allowing me to ignore anyone else. Because of that I've stuck with the 810. The 1000 has a bigger screen and picture display though which I imagine makes it easier to view. But, I don't have the map on display all the time (I use turn by turn prompts on followed courses) and instead just want to see my speed, cadence and HR which I can see easily enough on the 810 screen.

You get plenty of whines about Garmin devices and you have to appreciate that a good majority of them are because the user has done something wrong, but won't admit it.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I use my 1000 exactly as you suggest - navigation on but looking at a data page. When I get approx 150m from a junction, it changes the display to a zoomed in route through the junction and it counts down the feet to the turn point. It then goes back to my data page.

Mine came with v2.30 and this has been flawless. It occasionally doesn't synch correctly when I turn it on but this is normally due to my mobile signal and internet connection. If it fails, it tries again in a few minutes and always succeeds.

The big plusses for me are:

Map Resolution
    Like the difference between a line drawn with a biro and one drawn with a crayon. The resolution and smoothness of screen panning is vastly superior to the 800.

Segments
    Great fun and you will be driven to try harder when you can see how much you are behind your PB on a segment, especially if riding on your own. I heard the 800 may be able to do this on the latest OS. Not seen it though.

Talks to Di2
    Not essential (what is?) but means I have no excuse for being in 2/2 - 1/11 when it suddenly gets even steeper. You could look down between your legs, you could count shifts, with this you don't need to. It also displays battery charge % of your Di2 which is good. I check mine on the bike too infrequently after a ride. This shows me what it is all the time.

Display and backlighting
    On last night's ride it went automatically from lovely sharp display, to backlight sharp display, to inverse graphics and backlighting. This really is nice.

Call and text info
    This doesn't really bother me as anything can wait or if it's an emergency I guess someone would just keep ringing. It is clever though.

End and save ride
    This I like. My stats are on GC and Strava before we have even ordered a pint at our finishing post. The 810 does this too.

Battery life
    All I can say is it is good enough. the longest I have used it is 4 hours and it hadn't reached 50% remaining. That's good enough for me.

Size
    It is much bigger but is also much thinner. I doubt the extra acres of screen come with an aero penalty... at least not one that would actually be measurable. The bigger screen means more data fields and more map detail.

Waterproofing of sockets
    This is much better. My 800 charging socket rubber plug never quite went in right or felt secure. The 1000 socket cover is much better and I would feel much happier in a deluge.

Whether it is worth an extra £130 will depend entirely on your personal circumstances. My gf thought I was mad but I am a gadget lover. Having used mine for a week, my gf now wants one too.

I loved my 800. My 1000 is much better.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • dubbs2009
    Thanks Bar Shaker - I think you have just convinced me.... :) The reason I was considering the 800 is just on price alone... But I am not sure buying 4 year old tech an more than half the price of current tech makes sense. The 1000 will only get better whereas the 800/810 will likely cease to be improved as Garmin focuses on the 1000. Glad to hear 2.3 has fixed the initial bugs - they were quick to patch those which is also a good sign. Cheers
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    dubbs2009 wrote:
    Thanks Bar Shaker - I think you have just convinced me.... :) The reason I was considering the 800 is just on price alone... But I am not sure buying 4 year old tech an more than half the price of current tech makes sense. The 1000 will only get better whereas the 800/810 will likely cease to be improved as Garmin focuses on the 1000. Glad to hear 2.3 has fixed the initial bugs - they were quick to patch those which is also a good sign. Cheers

They are a lot of money but I think they are worth it and you've therefore made a good decision. i'm noticing a lot more people on my club rides are turning up with them now.

Yesterday they released another firmware update (2.4) which fixes a few more bugs so this is positive that they are making improvements.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... sp?id=6735
  • dubbs2009
    BrandonA wrote:
    dubbs2009 wrote:

They are a lot of money but I think they are worth it and you've therefore made a good decision. i'm noticing a lot more people on my club rides are turning up with them now.

Yesterday they released another firmware update (2.4) which fixes a few more bugs so this is positive that they are making improvements.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... sp?id=6735

Great - Thanks Brandon - looks like the support and implementation action on the 1000 is great!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If you are buying the 800 for £250 then you are paying over the odds - cheaper all over the place.

I think before you compare them, you need to think about what you want?

If you just want navigation, I would actually look at the Edge Touring - much cheaper again.
    If you just want cadence/stats etc then a 500 would do the job.

If you want both plus live tracking and upload without having to plug it in (bear in mind you will still need to plug it in to charge anyway) then consider the 810 or 1000
    If you dont want those then consider 800 or 1000

If you want long rides and good battery or to use it with gloves on, go for the 800. If you want the best screen and dont ride too long in one go then the 1000 may be worth it.

Dont assume that if a 4 hour ride only uses 50% that there is another 4 hours left - I think we have all seen with mobile phones that the last couple of bars go very quickly as the voltage of the battery drops. Dont trust these % meters at all. I commonly to 8 hour plus rides and my 800 doesnt last if I leave the map on display the whole time, if I show a different screen but with turn point warnings, it seems to cope OK (did 10 hours with 30% left at the weekend). I dont think the 1000 would last for this...
  • Bar Shaker
    The Garmin 1000 battery life is rated at 15 hours and we users expect to get around half that if constantly using the mapping page.

I'll put the unit's battery life on the display page and properly monitor it this weekend. I'll report back.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    Does the out front fitting for the 800 work for the 1000 or do you need new mounts as well.

The unit appears to come with a mount, but if you have several bikes.........
  • dubbs2009
    apreading wrote:
    If you are buying the 800 for £250 then you are paying over the odds - cheaper all over the place.

If you just want navigation, I would actually look at the Edge Touring - much cheaper again.

If you want both plus live tracking and upload without having to plug it in (bear in mind you will still need to plug it in to charge anyway) then consider the 810 or 1000

If you want long rides and good battery or to use it with gloves on, go for the 800. If you want the best screen and dont ride too long in one go then the 1000 may be worth it.

Dont assume that if a 4 hour ride only uses 50% that there is another 4 hours left - I think we have all seen with mobile phones that the last couple of bars go very quickly as the voltage of the battery drops. Dont trust these % meters at all. I commonly to 8 hour plus rides and my 800 doesnt last if I leave the map on display the whole time, if I show a different screen but with turn point warnings, it seems to cope OK (did 10 hours with 30% left at the weekend). I dont think the 1000 would last for this...

Thanks, I want my Edge to track all my ride data, including cadence and HR, provide me with turn by turn directions when following a course I have imputed, (other times I will not use the mapping when riding training runs I know) - but don't need the map on screen all the time, happy to have ride data on screen, then have turn by turn take over at junctions as it does on the 1000. I tend to ride at max 7/8 hours cumulative time - so with all that in the boiling pot - I think the 1000 comes out as the best solution with the 800 a close second. I've read reports of the 1000 charging much better from a wall socket than from being plugged into a computer via USB. Hopefully that helps make the 1000 last the distance!
  • Dippydog2
    And here's another question.

Does the automatic sync only work via Garmin connect?

So, you upload to GC and then to Strava if you want to.

Does all the data go to Strava?
  • apreading
    Battery life for the 800 was claimed at 18 hours but none of these claims are realistic...

From what I read the 1000 battery life is significantly less than an 800 or 810.
  • apreading
    dubbs2009 wrote:
    Thanks, I want my Edge to track all my ride data, including cadence and HR, provide me with turn by turn directions when following a course I have imputed, (other times I will not use the mapping when riding training runs I know) - but don't need the map on screen all the time, happy to have ride data on screen, then have turn by turn take over at junctions

So what is the advantage of the 1000 over the 800 based on the above?

The advantage in my eyes comes if/when you want to show the bigger maps, but you dont want to do that and if you do the battery life will probably not be good enough anyway.
  • dubbs2009
    apreading wrote:
    dubbs2009 wrote:
    Thanks, I want my Edge to track all my ride data, including cadence and HR, provide me with turn by turn directions when following a course I have imputed, (other times I will not use the mapping when riding training runs I know) - but don't need the map on screen all the time, happy to have ride data on screen, then have turn by turn take over at junctions

So what is the advantage of the 1000 over the 800 based on the above?

The advantage in my eyes comes if/when you want to show the bigger maps, but you dont want to do that and if you do the battery life will probably not be good enough anyway.

The fact that the 800 is 4+ years from introduction to the market is putting me off just getting one to be honest. The larger screen is a bonus, although would prefer the same sized screen as 800 but with the higher definition the 1000 has. I can't help but feel investing £200 odd in an 800 now, will mean soon it will be very far behind the 1000 and its new models in capabilities and money is better spent on the 1000 to stay near the cutting edge of the tech. Its all trade-offs yes, better screen and more frequently updated map = more drain on battery.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    dubbs2009 wrote:
    apreading wrote:

Thanks, I want my Edge to track all my ride data, including cadence and HR, provide me with turn by turn directions when following a course I have imputed, (other times I will not use the mapping when riding training runs I know) - but don't need the map on screen all the time, happy to have ride data on screen, then have turn by turn take over at junctions as it does on the 1000. I tend to ride at max 7/8 hours cumulative time - so with all that in the boiling pot - I think the 1000 comes out as the best solution with the 800 a close second. I've read reports of the 1000 charging much better from a wall socket than from being plugged into a computer via USB. Hopefully that helps make the 1000 last the distance!

Your needs are exactly the same as mine, so in one post you've basically persuaded me to get a 1000. Thanks mate, saved me a bundle of time doing research !!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Have only had an Edge 500 before and not used the 1000 a whole lot yet so difficult to give much input.

One thing I do like is the remote though. Really like not having to take hands off of bars.
    I was going to get an out front mount, but actually think I prefer the semi out front one you get with it.

The size is not really an issue for me now I have it.
    I would hope they could improve phone connectivity to show first couple of lines of actual texts.
  • dubbs2009
    Your needs are exactly the same as mine, so in one post you've basically persuaded me to get a 1000. Thanks mate, saved me a bundle of time doing research !!!

lol - no probs - I will send you an invoice for my time and research :)
  • dubbs2009
    Carbonator wrote:
    I was going to get an out front mount, but actually think I prefer the semi out front one you get with it.

Is the one in the box not fully out front then? Thought it was? You get 2 mounts yeh? 1 stem and 1 out front???
    Carbonator wrote:
    II would hope they could improve phone connectivity to show first couple of lines of actual texts.

I don't think they ever will - its dangerous reading text messages while riding!
  • Bar Shaker
    Carbonator wrote:
    Have only had an Edge 500 before and not used the 1000 a whole lot yet so difficult to give much input.

One thing I do like is the remote though. Really like not having to take hands off of bars.

The size is not really an issue for me now I have it.
    I would hope they could improve phone connectivity to show first couple of lines of actual texts.

Mine came with an out front mount. The 800 out front is too short.

Did the remote come with it? I may not have looked at all the bits. :shock: Is it the little round one that also works the video camera?

I doubt they will show text content for H&S reasons. I would agree with that.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Dippydog2
    I'm convinced. I shall put my 800 up for sale in the classifieds!
  • dubbs2009
    Dippydog2 wrote:

I should get a job at Garmin!
  • Dippydog2
    dubbs2009 wrote:
    Dippydog2 wrote:

I should get a job at Garmin!
    Perhaps you have one already? :D
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    You're wrong to assume older models have outlived their usefulness and support from Garmin. 705 and older units are still going strong doing exactly what they were meant to do.

On battery life and charging; the 810 battery life is more than enough unless you're doing addax rides or going very slow indeed. Charging can be done via the wall or a computer and the remote is compatible with the 810 too. Uploading is done automatically to Garmin Connect and providing you've created the link between Strava and Garmin Connect, it automatically uploads to Strava too.

However, it's your money and if you have the means to buy a 1000 and can justify the necessity to yourself, then who's to argue with you. Comparison between the 810 and 1000 is in the link.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/catalog ... uct=112912
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Anonymous
    The out front mount for the 1000 does not put it fully in front (and at same level centers as bars) like the others do.
    It is further forward than stem mount, but still above stem.
    Personally I think this is better as due to size it would stick out a lot if fully in front of bars and lower than stem.

Remote was extra but a better buy (see above) than the fully out front mount I was planning to get.
  • Anonymous
    Bar Shaker wrote:

Did the remote come with it? I may not have looked at all the bits. :shock: Is it the little round one that also works the video camera?

I doubt they will show text content for H&S reasons. I would agree with that.

It's not the Virb remote, it's a different one although looks almost identical.
    Guess you could have both and need two remotes :shock:

Not sure I agree that one line of text is more distracting than reading that you have a text from a named contact, and seems a lot less distracting than looking at all the other things you bought it to look at in the first place.

Maybe strapping your phone to your stem is not such a bad idea after all :lol:
  • And in steps Apple.... With the new New Apple Watch....

Now - this could be a game changer... I have halted my desire to buy a 1000 now... Surely a device that Apple makes will be better than a Garmin one - plus it's usable by runners, can have apps installed and do a lot more than the 1000 - price looks cheaper than a 1000 as well! 2015 it will arrive...

http://www.bikehugger.com/post/view/app ... fitness-ui

What are people's thoughts?
  • Bar Shaker
    No ability to import any ANT+ device info.

I am an Apple fanboi with a huge iMac on my desk, two iPads, iPods, a 5S and a 6 on order. I can't see me buying the iWatch except possibly to replace an iPod for running.

Good as they are, none of these bits of kit is a replacement for the 1000.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Bar Shaker wrote:
    No ability to import any ANT+ device info.

I am an Apple fanboi with a huge iMac on my desk, two iPads, iPods, a 5S and a 6 on order. I can't see me buying the iWatch except possibly to replace an iPod for running.

Good as they are, none of these bits of kit is a replacement for the 1000.

Thanks Bar Shaker - interesting thoughts
  • Bar Shaker
    Incidentally, I was in the Cotswolds at the weekend and did some longish rides, which let me review battery life.

On Friday I was following someone else and just used my stats pages with occasional map use on fast downhill sections. I was ride leader for our group on Saturday and Sunday so I was using navigation with the maps displayed, only occasionally swiping across to my stats page and then swiping straight back.

My 1000 used 10% of its battery per hour when in full navigation use and 6% per hour in non navigation mode.

In the pub garden at the end of our rides, I was reviewing segment performance and stats on Strava, on my iPhone and uploading the rides did not appear to use any additional battery.

What did surprise me was that Di2 uses a lot more battery when talking to the 1000. My Di2 use is around 1.5% per hour with the EWW01 wifi data unit plugged in. The number of gear changes was typically around 450-500 in a 4 hour ride, so more than normal due to the terrain but not excessively so.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Bar Shaker wrote:
    Incidentally, I was in the Cotswolds at the weekend and did some longish rides, which let me review battery life.

Ahh - my neck of the woods - where did you ride? I love it here!
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    On Friday I was following someone else and just used my stats pages with occasional map use on fast downhill sections. I was ride leader for our group on Saturday and Sunday so I was using navigation with the maps displayed, only occasionally swiping across to my stats page and then swiping straight back.

My 1000 used 10% of its battery per hour when in full navigation use and 6% per hour in non navigation mode.

Thanks - very useful info! You sound like a 1000 lover! Much better than your 800? Worth the additional investment then it seems.
  • Bar Shaker
    dubbs2009 wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

Ahh - my neck of the woods - where did you ride? I love it here!

We stayed in Burford and rode from all over from Fairford to Broadway Tower. Loved it.
    dubbs2009 wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

Thanks - very useful info! You sound like a 1000 lover! Much better than your 800? Worth the additional investment then it seems.

Yes I like it. There will always be a place for the 800 and I loved mine, but the 1000 is on the next level.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro