Heart rate question

2»

Comments

• chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Thanks and I may yet get checked out.... BP tested at 158/85 and a resting pulse of 76 on Monday.
    That seems quite high if it's a resting BP. I'd get a checkup if I were you.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Thanks and I may yet get checked out.... BP tested at 158/85 and a resting pulse of 76 on Monday.

It's been high for a while and my GP has told me it is something to monitor but not worry about yet. If the second figure is consistently over 90 then it's a life on statins. I'd like to avoid that.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    edited September 2014
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    Bar Shaker wrote:

It's been high for a while and my GP has told me it is something to monitor but not worry about yet. If the second figure is consistently over 90 then it's a life on statins. I'd like to avoid that.
    Is that BP figure from a test in the doctors surgery?

I got very similar figures at the doctors but when I wore a 24hr monitor it was much lower (still a smidge high but nothing to worry about)

That's called white coat syndrome BTW. The fact that you're aware your BP is being measured causes it to rise higher than normal for resting conditions thus making the measurement non representative
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    My mum's BP was 210/140, the Doctors has to find a special device for measuring such high pressures!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • gazeds
    gazeds Posts: 182
    Statins wont lower your bp, there for cholestoral. I was hit by a van five year's ago, luckily I was only badly bruised, but when I went to see my GP he checked my BP and it was 200 over something, cant remember the bottom figure exactly. Since then ive been on rampril and amlodipine Bp tablet's. My Bp now average's around 110/60. I've been cycling for over twenty year's and I wonder if I had'nt, how much worse my health could have been.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Is that BP figure from a test in the doctors surgery?

I got very similar figures at the doctors but when I wore a 24hr monitor it was much lower (still a smidge high but nothing to worry about)

That's called white coat syndrome BTW. The fact that you're aware your BP is being measured causes it to rise higher than normal for resting conditions thus making the measurement non representative

I have my own Omnicom tester but I found the same. My own tests, even doing 3 and really relaxing, were higher than the 24 hour tester showed.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro