Can't work speed out! Mental block

Whiteeddymurphy
Whiteeddymurphy Posts: 169
edited September 2014 in Training, fitness and health
Wasn't good at maths but can't get my head around the calculation for speed. I've just rode 11.86 miles in 39:52:10 what was my speed? Please help.

Comments

• buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Speed equals distance over time.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    edited August 2014
    Wasn't good at maths but can't get my head around the calculation for speed. I've just rode 11.86 miles in 39:52:10 what was my speed? Please help.
    28.7 km per hour
  • That comes up with 0.30010121??
  • Thanks for that. What is it in mph
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    edited August 2014
    17.794 mph
    Kph to mph multiply by .62
    Mph to kph divide by .62
  • Thanks. How do I do the calculation? I decided the miles by time to get the figure above was that wrong? Thanks
  • diamonddog
    Thanks. How do I do the calculation? I decided the miles by time to get the figure above was that wrong? Thanks
    See edited post above. :)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Thanks. How do I do the calculation? I decided the miles by time to get the figure above was that wrong? Thanks

No offence mate, but there are speed/distance/time calculators all over the internet - you should try Google...
  • I tried but I'm thick :oops:
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    You probably aren't as thick as you think - you were probably taught very badly at some point.

Suppose you had ridden 40 miles in 2 hours. That's 20 miles in 1 hour, or 20mph (divide miles by hours, ie 40 divided by 2, to get miles per hour).

The rule is the same, regardless of how many miles, or how many hours.

However, you've measured your time in minutes, not hours. So how to convert minutes to hours? 60 minutes in an hour, right? How many hours is 30 minutes? Half an hour, agreed? That's 30 divided by 60, which is 0.5, which is a half of one hour in this simplified example.

So two rules:

- divide minutes by 60 to get hours
    - divide miles by hours to get speed in miles per hour.

Your 39 minutes and 52 seconds is very nearly 40 minutes. You don't need to be any more precise than that for now, so divide that by 60 to get hours.

40/60 = 0.67 hours.

Now divide your miles (11.86) by your hours (0.67) to get mph.

That's about 17.7 mph.

If that makes sense, and you care about getting better at this sort of thing, practice with more examples. If you don't care, then come over here and see this great deal I have on some gear - 3 for the price of 4. ;)
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • diamonddog
    ^^ :D:D last sentence, top offer.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    I usually find it easiest to work out miles per minute or miles per second and then multiply by 60 or 60 x 60 to get miles per hour.

So you rode 11.86 miles in 39:52.

39 minutes is 39 x 60 seconds, = 2340 seconds. Plus the 52 seconds is 2392 seconds.

So you rode 11.86 miles in 2392 seconds. In one second you would have ridden 11.86 divided by 2392, which equals 0.004958 miles. You don't need to worry about more than a few decimal places.

Multiply 0.004958 by 60 (to get miles per minute) and then 60 again (to get miles per hour).

= 17.85 mph.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    This all beggars the question - "How does the OP know he rode 11.86 miles in 39 mins 52.1 secs?" Presumably he has some sort of computer on his bike and even the cheap ones come with an average speed function don't they?

If not, and you are that bad at maths, then get one from Aldi the next time they are selling them.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • dw300 wrote:

haha, amazing :D