£600 Wheel set recommendations

swj1
swj1 Posts: 70
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi All,
I am looking for a new wheel set for and have a budget of around £600. I ride on average about 150-200 miles a week round the lovely Suffolk/Essex countryside so by no way pothole free. I weigh around 85kg. I am not overly fussed on deep section rims or carbon but I am happy to take advice on why I should be :)

Any suggestions would be greatly received and thanks in advance.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    What happened to the Mavic warranty claim?
    left the forum March 2023
  • swj1
    With Canyon and waiting to hear back and hopefully it will go through without issue and I will then use them as back up/winter :)
  • ugo.santalucia
    Look at HED Ardenne plus in Stallion configuration

http://www.hedwheels.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ARDCLPLUS

or ask the cycleclinic, who is local to you to build you something along the lines for less money and better hubs

simple!
  • swj1
    Cheers mate, I shall do one of the two and let you know how it goes.
  • ugo.santalucia
    .. .and then get a pair of these and go tubeless, they're ace!

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... duct=62612
  • swj1

I was thinking about tubeless but don't know much about it, I will have a read up.

That link is to the tyres not a wheelset btw :)
  • ugo.santalucia
    I know...

I think wide rims like the Ardenne plus and tubeless tyres are the two most interesting innovation in road wheels and they go very well together.
    Some tubeless tyres are a bit of a faff to fit and get a good seal, but I fitted Schwalbe One tubeless yesterday and it actually takes less than fitting a clincher with inner tube. I've only just done a few miles on them, but they feel awesome... basically the same feel of a high end racing light clincher, but with the peace of mind of knowing that 80+% of the punctures will be sealed without you having to bother to change an inner tube. You can also ride significantly lower pressure, so increasing grip whilst having a better rolling reistance than a clincher + tube...

There is a lot of resistance around, but it's unfounded, as they're great
  • swj1
    Ahh I see, thanks Ugo
  • swj1
    Out of interest did you use Scwalbe sealant and glue?
  • ugo.santalucia
    I got this pair as a demo to review for my blog, They sent me some sealant, but it's just a rebadged Stans, of which I had some already.
    What glue? You don't need glue for tubeless.... don't confuse tubeless with tubular... completely different thing
  • swj1
    Cool, I get it now, I shall order them when I get home this evening. Thanks again Ugo.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    HED Belguim + rims and Chris King Hubs (£599.55 apparently):

http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_ ... ts_id=3071

Obvious there are costs on top of this.
  • ugo.santalucia
    swj1 wrote:
    Cool, I get it now, I shall order them when I get home this evening. Thanks again Ugo.

You need tubeless rims and tape first!
  • swj1
    I was going to get the HED Ardenne plus cl from HED.....and the Schwalbe One Tubulars......
  • ugo.santalucia
    You are quick at making decisions... talk to the cycleclinic too, he might be able to get you a better deal with HED rims. It's nice to have something made by someone who has a workshop close to you, no?
  • swj1
    True enough mate, just out of interest what width Scwalbes Ones are you testing?
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    swj1 wrote:
    I was going to get the HED Ardenne plus cl from HED.....and the Schwalbe One Tubulars......

You mean tubeless rather than tubulars, no?

Ugo, what size Schwalbe were you using? Very tempted if they did a 25mm (should set up on A23s nicely).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • ugo.santalucia
    swj1 wrote:

Ugo, what size Schwalbe were you using? Very tempted if they did a 25mm (should set up on A23s nicely).

They do, that's what I've got...they fit quite big... 27 mm on my HED + rims
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    Ugo, I just looked at the Scwalbe website and it says the maximum load on the tubeless tyres is 70kg.

Am I right to take this as the riders weight? If so I guess not so many of us will be able to use them taking off the bike weight as well
  • ugo.santalucia
    No, it's per tyre... so would be 140 Kg in a 50/50 split and more realistically 120 kg or so for a 60/40 split.

Basically they want to avoid things like this

610x.jpg
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    A bike has two tyres so you're safe up to 140kg ;-)
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    swj1 wrote:

They do, that's what I've got...they fit quite big... 27 mm on my HED + rims

I'll be searching for some stock somewhere then as they only appear to be out of stock of 25mm.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ugo.santalucia
    I'll be searching for some stock somewhere then as they only appear to be out of stock of 25mm.

Stock of 25 mm has only just arrived to the distribution this week, it'll soon be available, I'm sure.
  • ugo.santalucia
    swj1 wrote:

No... you people... if there was a retailer based on the moon, you would queue to flash the credit card... why would you want to buy wheels from the US when there are plenty of retailers and builders over here?
  • swj1
    Haha! fair point. I have just spoken to Malcolm from Cycle Clinic and he was very helpful and it going to email me over some options so thanks again for the tips
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221

Sorry to butt in, but at that price, that's made up my mind about going tubeless this winter....
  • ugo.santalucia
    g00se wrote:

Sorry to butt in, but at that price, that's made up my mind about going tubeless this winter....

They are performance tyres, on pair with Vittoria CX or Conti GP 4000... they seem pretty grippy too and obviously you can run them at 75 PSI (the 25 mm ones) which makes them even more grippy. The build seem pretty solid and with the sealant in, you can probably run them down close to the thread
  • swj1
    So I think I am going to go with Shimano Dura Ace hubs laced to Pacenti SL23 rims and fitted Schwalbe One Evolution Tubeless from Cycle Clinic or Riding Along. Does this seem a good choice to you guys?