NATO Summit

2»

Comments

• I hope some protesters breach the fence in Newport, i'd larf.

They'd better not on my watch... :shock:
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Ah so this is the reason why at 0130 last Saturday morning I was faced with 'M4 West closed use A48 W,follow diversion' only to follow the diversion signs to find 'A48 W closed, use M4 W' :roll:

There was a convoy of people looking bewildered driving around Newport trying to head west. Turns out the highways agency had neglected to open the A48 after closing the M4. :evil:

Though for the first time ever it wasnt raining when I was driving past Cardiff Audi! :)
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355
    I hope some protesters breach the fence in Newport, i'd larf.

I'd chuck rotten tomatoes at you (it's not personal).
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Don't mind that... It's the human poo and used tampons that annoy us a tad.

:x
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355
    Don't mind that... It's the human poo and used tampons that annoy us a tad. :x

Sounds like your average Saturday night outside the kebab shop in Stranraer then.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,563
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Ah so this is the reason why at 0130 last Saturday morning I was faced with 'M4 West closed use A48 W,follow diversion' only to follow the diversion signs to find 'A48 W closed, use M4 W' :roll:

There was a convoy of people looking bewildered driving around Newport trying to head west. Turns out the highways agency had neglected to open the A48 after closing the M4. :evil:

Though for the first time ever it wasnt raining when I was driving past Cardiff Audi! :)

To be fair most people in Newport look bewildered all the time and especially at 1.30am :wink:
  • Pross
    I hope some protesters breach the fence in Newport, i'd larf.

Saw a Police Scotland transit parked up under junction 24 of the M4 a few hours ago, wasn't you was it? Allowed me to tick off another square on my police force bingo card, hoping to get the full set over the coming week! Have you got the joys of staying in the Uni campus in my home village then?
  • Just been chatting to a (rather glum looking) South Wales Policeman in Queen Street. Turns out that SWP officers are not allowed to go home during the whole operation, they have to stay in the same student digs as the other police forces, despite the fact they live just around the corner.

No wonder he looked fed up. He said the Operation started five days ago (so last Thursday, ish) and they aren't allowed home until Sunday night.

On a positive note, due to the location of our office (close to both the Castle and the Music Uni), we're all allowed to go home at 3pm on both Thursday and Friday. Shame we can't have NATO every week!
  • Pross
    IanREmery wrote:
    Just been chatting to a (rather glum looking) South Wales Policeman in Queen Street. Turns out that SWP officers are not allowed to go home during the whole operation, they have to stay in the same student digs as the other police forces, despite the fact they live just around the corner.

No wonder he looked fed up. He said the Operation started five days ago (so last Thursday, ish) and they aren't allowed home until Sunday night.

On a positive note, due to the location of our office (close to both the Castle and the Music Uni), we're all allowed to go home at 3pm on both Thursday and Friday. Shame we can't have NATO every week!

It would be funny if that applied to a mate of mine - he works for SWP and lives literally next door to the Uni campus :D

Sounds like you work just around the corner from me then but my employer isn't being as generous.
  • Pross wrote:
    Saw a Police Scotland transit parked up under junction 24 of the M4 a few hours ago, wasn't you was it? Allowed me to tick off another square on my police force bingo card, hoping to get the full set over the coming week! Have you got the joys of staying in the Uni campus in my home village then?

No, we're staying in Bristol... But we do have a Transit

That Celtic Manor is some place... :shock:
  • Pross
    That Celtic Manor is some place... :shock:

My local! :wink:

It was better when it was hosting the National TT champs a few months back than playing home to a bunch of politicians and their bootlickers on the gravy train.
  • Pross wrote:
    IanREmery wrote:
    Just been chatting to a (rather glum looking) South Wales Policeman in Queen Street. Turns out that SWP officers are not allowed to go home during the whole operation, they have to stay in the same student digs as the other police forces, despite the fact they live just around the corner.

It would be funny if that applied to a mate of mine - he works for SWP and lives literally next door to the Uni campus :D

Sounds like you work just around the corner from me then but my employer isn't being as generous.

Well as the Group we're part of occupy the majority of a 23 floor building that overlooks the Castle I suspect there will be a lot of armed guys there on Thursday and Friday. We're across the road but subject to the same restrictions. We joked that the 'concierge' in our building will have an Uzi....
  • Pross
    I take back my initial reservations, I had my fastest ever drive to work this morning - very little traffic and every light was green. Also, I got the unusual sight of having 3 US Marine Corps Ospreys flying over me at about 100 feet on my ride home from work last night. :D
  • I agree put them in the middle of the ocean but there is no need for a ship. If you get my drift.
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    so, who's at the mercure hotel? Other than a few dozen police...
  • My god it's like a Ghost town. Absolutely nobody around at all.

Finally saw my first armed police officer, then immediately saw another. They are like buses (except you can see armed police officers in the centre of Cardiff today).

Good for tourism? My @rse!
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    I had a remarkably rapid drive home from the bridge with the exception of a bit of a choke point where the rozzers had pulled a speeder (?) just after Celtic Manor. I was expecting 30-60 mins extra, I actually went through Brynglas without slowing for a change.
  • A group of helicopters including an osprey flew over my house heading towards town. Shortly after the news reported Obama had arrived at the castle.
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc 10
    Bird Zero TR