Turbo Trainer - Technical Issue

AdamAlive
AdamAlive Posts: 4
Hello everybody,,,,

Since I recently invested in an Elite Fluid trainer, I've had this question in mind with regards to training with it.
Is it ok to get off of the bike and do climb-like bouts on a trainer, or would that affect the roller ? since getting off and on the bike may put pressure on the roller, and I'm a fairly big 6'2 guy, so I thought that would probably mess with it.
I realized that the roller started to slightly rotate on an axis, not it's center (I hope you get what I mean)

Thanx alot

Adam

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    It's Sunday morning and not had enough coffee but I'm unsure what your asking.

Do you mean get up from the saddle (not off the bike) and ride the bike like you were climbing? If that's what you mean yes you can but you need to just be as mindful as you would be when normally riding as the fame is fixed in the trainer.

There are lots of discussions/debates/arguments on "do turbos damage frames" on this forum which I'm only going to refer you too for the various pros and cons people have covered previously
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Although I am a lot smaller than you I often do out of the saddle stints on the turbo, it's a slightly different technique to doing it on the road. The wheel is clamped at the skewer so wouldn't think it would affect the roller.
  • Getting off the saddle that is, my bad. Thank you all for taking the time.
    I think it's a little tricky with Elite trainers because the parallel handles that lock onto the quick release tend to lean towards the roller, allowing the bike to rest upon it, as opposed to other trainers, like the kinetics for instance,which bring the weight of the bike towards the floor.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    AdamAlive wrote:
    Hello everybody,,,,

Since I recently invested in an Elite Fluid trainer, I've had this question in mind with regards to training with it.
    Is it ok to get off of the bike and do climb-like bouts on a trainer, or would that affect the roller ? since getting off and on the bike may put pressure on the roller, and I'm a fairly big 6'2 guy, so I thought that would probably mess with it.
    I realized that the roller started to slightly rotate on an axis, not it's center (I hope you get what I mean)

Thanx alot

Adam

wut?!

AdamAlive wrote:
    Getting off the saddle that is, my bad. Thank you all for taking the time.
    I think it's a little tricky with Elite trainers because the parallel handles that lock onto the quick release tend to lean towards the roller, allowing the bike to rest upon it, as opposed to other trainers, like the kinetics for instance,which bring the weight of the bike towards the floor.

Eh.. wut?!

Don't worry, your bike will bend long before the roller part of the Elite resistance unit. Its just awkward climbing on a fixed trainer. You can just stop, stand up, and stretch. You dont have to always be pedalling, you wouldnt do it out on the road, so its fine on the turbo too. I would stretch for 30-60s every 15-20mins on the trainer usually, unless in the middle of an interval.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    AdamAlive wrote:
    Getting off the saddle that is, my bad. Thank you all for taking the time.
    Mine is an Elite trainer and is a few years old and not had a problem yet. :)
  • Thnx for the input everybody!