Ride London 2015

Comments

• Hah, which details did you massage?! Good luck with that.
  • Well, hi there, forum n00b here. Got in with a charity place (Asthma UK - I've been asthmatic all of my life) so I thought I'd better find out a little more about the event, hence had a look around here. I generally have similar reservations to others about being able to raise the cash but I will give it a go and make up any shortfall myself.

Looking forward to the event, I'm beginning to think I might even be able to compete the course and not be swept up..... :D

Came back into proper road cycling (well, what I mean is with a proper road bike not a hybrid or MTB :roll: ) last year and did a couple of thousand miles with mates and in a few events, including a couple of 100s. RL will be the most difficult one I've done thus far. I'm 6'2", 95kgs and would say that, well, erm, I'm not exactly built for endurance. :lol:

Congrats and good luck to those who got in and commiserations to those who didn't....sounds like there are plenty of quality alternatives which I'm looking forward to aiming for too. :mrgreen:
  • Hah, which details did you massage?! Good luck with that.

the 100 miles will be easy in comparison
  • Hurrah! Just got an update from back home and I'm officially in!

I entered the ballot on a whim, not being particularly enthusiastic about tooling around with London's finest MAMILs, but the more I've read about it the more excited I am to do it. The ballot is certainly a good marketing tool, because I almost certainly wouldn't have entered on a normal basis (even less so at £58) but now that I've got one of the exclusive spots I feel like I haven't got a choice!

I'm thinking I might just bash it round with minimal stoppages, certainly skipping the inevitable scrums at the early feed stations.

What are people's experiences of the event? Is it going to be like the BHF London-Brighton where all the lardarses are off their bikes and walking as soon as the gradient hits 2%?! Will I get a choice of starting time, or is it a case of take what you're given?
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,869
    Rejected:(
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    Imagine my excitement upon returning home to find a parcel with a Ride London jersey (long sleeve) and my disappointment to discover upon the cover of the accompanying magazine "Commiserations". Ho hum. Not going down the charity route so may try next year. Then again I could always do the London Revolution again. Still. Least I get a jersey, so may gain some local kudos from those not in the know.
    Someone's just passed me again
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    paul2718 wrote:
    The Tour of Cambs has a race at the front, and a sportive at the back. Should work nicely since it is modelled on the European style of event. FWIW I think it is absurd that RL isn't a qualifier for the UCI worlds, it's supposed to be a premier event with Olympic legacy.

With new events like the Velothon and ToC both having UCI connections, RL, with its focus on beginners, and the unlikelihood of getting a place without paying a huge fee, is in danger of looking irrelevant within three years of being a pioneer.

I got in for 2013, because they guaranteed places to people who'd completed qualifying events. Missed last year, assume I've missed this year. It would be a nice bonus event, just because it is so fast. There remains a chance of a team entry...

Paul

I'll check out the Tour of Cambs.
    Someone's just passed me again
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    Finally..... third time was lucky on the ballot for me!

I like that the magazine this year has a bold section about bikes and handlebars which aren't allowed, followed up with two pages of pictures of the types of bikes that are and aren't permitted. Whether they actually enforce these things now though is another matter, but spelling it out a bit more loudly might deter those who have ignored the rules in the past.
  • Foobies
    Foobies Posts: 134
    I'm thinking I might just bash it round with minimal stoppages, certainly skipping the inevitable scrums at the early feed stations.

What are people's experiences of the event? Is it going to be like the BHF London-Brighton where all the lardarses are off their bikes and walking as soon as the gradient hits 2%?! Will I get a choice of starting time, or is it a case of take what you're given?

Last year i didn't notice hardly any walkers on the few climbs that were left in. Not too sure if its because the hills were non existent or if the weather put off the less confident though.

Fingers Crossed the weather is better this year, I wouldn't have entered this year if i had been able to do the full 100 last year, its a long way to London for a 100mile ride of a Sunday morning.
    2019 Bianchi Oltre XR4
    2016 Bianchi Ethanol
    2015 Bianchi via nirone 7

2018 Boardman ADV 8.9
  • peteb0
    peteb0 Posts: 58
    edited February 2015
    Carbonator wrote:
    How is everyone finding the consolation jersey?
    I find DHB stuff comes up a little big but a lot of people seem to think the opposite.
    Guess they want a roomy fit 8)

Surprisingly, I can't see anything to identify the jersey as being DHB (Which is was I was expecting). It's pleasant enough, albeit more of a spring/autumn jersey, with a more relaxed fit for me in medium (small would have been too short in the arm and body for me)
  • I was unsuccessful on the original ballot but was given a spot due to the bequest ballot, whatever that was.

I'm now pleased to have a space, but feeling guilty about having been successful with a lot of friends not making it in.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Well, I've obviously still not had my magazine because I've moved house, but the website is now showing Approved

Gosh.

No way of paying though, the payment options show "Not Applicable"

Confusion continues......
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • The website is a complete shambles, but someone mentioned that the payment facility will be going live today.
  • ic.
    Yeah, that was me!

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cube Streamer - stolen
  • I'm in too! :-)
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • Hurrah! Just got an update from back home and I'm officially in!

I entered the ballot on a whim, not being particularly enthusiastic about tooling around with London's finest MAMILs, but the more I've read about it the more excited I am to do it. The ballot is certainly a good marketing tool, because I almost certainly wouldn't have entered on a normal basis (even less so at £58) but now that I've got one of the exclusive spots I feel like I haven't got a choice!

you will be given a start time based upon your anticipated time. I was off at 7:00 and only saw a couple of walkers at Newlands corner.
  • The payment site is now live and I've just paid (despite the answerphone message saying it won't be live until this afternoon). Note that there is an error on the site - it says you have to pay by 5pm on 7th Feb rather than 27th which is in the pack. This is an error which I have reported to them and it should be corrected.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

You should not find it as bad as L2B.
    The calibre of riders and bikes is higher, and the hills a lot less steep/long.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    peteb0 wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    How is everyone finding the consolation jersey?
    I find DHB stuff comes up a little big but a lot of people seem to think the opposite.
    Guess they want a roomy fit 8)

Surprisingly, I can't see anything to identify the jersey as being DHB (Which is was I was expecting). It's pleasant enough, albeit more of a spring/autumn jersey, with a more relaxed fit for me in medium (small would have been too short in the arm and body for me)

My boo boo then, sorry.
    Maybe Wiggle/DHB are not doing any RL stuff this year then.

Either that or maybe they just did not do the freebie jersey, or did make it but felt it was too low end to have it branded.
  • I didn't get in this year and my chosen charity want me to raise £650 for them to guarantee me a place. I don't think so somehow...

Congrats to all those who got in, I hope the weather is better for you than it was last year when I did it :-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    Carbonator wrote:
    peteb0 wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    My boo boo then, sorry.
    Maybe Wiggle/DHB are not doing any RL stuff this year then.

Either that or maybe they just did not do the freebie jersey, or did make it but felt it was too low end to have it branded.

Still a leading sponsor and the main clothing sponsor according to the magazine.

Perhaps its just that while it's a DHB made jersey, the precedence was on it being branded Ride London. I donated my entry last year and got given a windproof jacket, I remember it being branded Ride London, but can't remember whether it had DHB printed on it as well.

It's actually worth keeping an eye on Wiggle if you didn't get place, as the first year, I didn't get a ballot place, but spotted Wiggle were giving away places to customers who e-mailed that they were interested. That wasn't actually very heavily advertised, where as now they seem to run it as a proper competition going by last year, so you are going against more people.
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    I got a place. Can't believe my luck. Third year of trying, although I did ride for a charity the first year. An amazing event, riding closed roads through London with the crowds cheering you on was fantastic. Can't wait for this years event.

Tips for this year:
    1) Don't get lost while parking at the O2 and ending up leaving my car at an Esso petrol station :-)
    2) Take a rucksack with me to the start for all my stuff. Was hard to ride with the supplied drawstring bag flapping about.
    3) Take better choice of food while riding. flapjack etc.
    4) Enjoy the ride rather than racing along, although under 7 hours would be good this time.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    KentPhil wrote:
    2) Take a rucksack with me to the start for all my stuff. Was hard to ride with the supplied drawstring bag flapping about.

Also did this in the last two years. I also taped the card we had to hand over, cable ties and anything else which was immediately required at the start to the plastic bag so that there was less of a faff.

Rucksack goes in the plastic bag and I secure the drawstrings with the cable ties, then nothing can be removed without breaking the plastic bag!
  • ic.
    KentPhil wrote:

Aren't you supposed to chuck the drawstring bag on the bag truck and pick it up at the end, not ride with it?

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cube Streamer - stolen
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    IC, this was only from where I parked my car to the start where you drop your bike off. It was only about 3 miles, but not very elegant and at 5am in the morning too!
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    third year I applied and first year I have got in without going the charity route.

Just need to work out what to do re parking. Last year it was O2 which was great to start but a real pain to getting back to. I understand not closing more roads to get back but a bit more advice of where to go would be nice.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    I did the riverboat back to the 02. Fairly painless and nice little chance to relax and take it all in for a while (oh, and get dry and changed in the toilet!! ;) )
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Got a place. Quite surprised as I'd forgotten I'd entered the ballot. Looking forward to riding my usual Surrey routes on closed roads. Hope the potholes are sorted beforehand.
  • Any logistical suggestions? Doing the route on my own, one car and considering hotel for the night before and after, maybe half way between start and finish but would need to have parking?
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Depends how far away you are. There is parking I believe at the O2 so maybe stay at a hotel outside London and drive or ride in, or drive up early in the morning. Start is East London in the QE Olympic Park and finish is on the Mall so hotels in between will be quite expensive.