Fox vs Rockshox

ncn
ncn Posts: 123
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
I am currently on the look out for a new bike and recently been looking at the Rose Granite Chief.

Onto my question though, where would you money go to on the fork?

These are the two forks in question.

Rock Shox Pike RC 2P 150 mm, 15 mm through axle

Fox 34 Talas FIT CTD 150 mm, 15 mm through axle with Kashima Coating

I have specced the 2 up to what I want and the same bike but different fork comes to 400 difference, pikes been the cheaper, is it worth it?

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Pikes are possibly the better fork. Very highly rated.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would definitely go for the Pikes. Fox have lost the plot recently.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I'd be inclined to go for the Pike
  • ncn
    I thought the pike was the better fork but then I found myself thinking the fox might be better as it costs more money haha!
  • Having run the 2014 Fox 34 and swapped it out for a Pike I would choose the Pike every time. The Fox is on another build so I still get to ride it and find they are chalk and cheese. The Pike feels very plush and endless while the Fox just doesn't have the small bump compliance and feels like it's running short of travel. All I would say is that putting the Fox on a Hardtail has suited it more for some reason.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • rockmonkeysc
    Fox forks are just over priced.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Fox needs to sort out its forks and their pricing. Until then best avoided.
  • rockmonkeysc
    When the Fox equivalent to the Pike is so much more expensive and not as good it's never going to be a good buy.
    If Marzocchi could make their forks lighter then I wouldn't buy anything else. The 888 rc3 ti evo is by far the best fork I have ridden.
  • ncn
    I kinda knew it was that way round but there was just something that made me want to ask the question...

Happily it just makes my choice easier when looking at bikes as I will avoid fox and go for the pike.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I wouldn't let the fork be the only deciding factor.
    Fox forks still sell for good money second hand. You could sell a Float Fit kashima 34 for enough money to buy a new Pike.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Unless you live in BC in which case Fox forks float around on pink bike like turds in a sewage works. Mainly because everyone bought a new bike at the start of summer and swapped the forks for pikes!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Fox forks float around on pink bike like turds in a sewage works.

Haha, that line is the best thing I've read on here today, bravo! :D

It's true too ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    CitizenLee wrote:

It's true too ;)

I used to design machines for fishing out the floaters (and other lovely solids) before they get in to the works so there are no turds floating in sewage works. But I get the point.
  • CitizenLee wrote:

It's true too ;)

I used to design machines for fishing out the floaters (and other lovely solids) before they get in to the works so there are no turds floating in sewage works. But I get the point.
    Could you let France know...
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • rockmonkeysc
    CitizenLee wrote:

It's true too ;)

Could you let France know...

Continental sewage "treatment" (with the exception of Germany) really is non existent. You certainly won't ever see me on a Spanish or Portuguese beach.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I think the Dutch, Scandinavians & Swiss would have a thing or two to say about that :wink:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    I think the Dutch, Scandinavians & Swiss would have a thing or two to say about that :wink:

Thr Dutch use similar processes to the UK but without the same level of final effluent treatment. The UK has very strict quality regulations with very heavy fines.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067

Thr Dutch use similar processes to the UK but without the same level of final effluent treatment. The UK has very strict quality regulations with very heavy fines.

ha! Well I never, I shall be passing this info on to my (Dutch) better half! "It's all about the final effluent treatment babe"
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    This got a bit off topic quite quickly.
    Never seen a Fox or Rockshox discussion get on to sewage treatment before.
    Maybe I will bring up the subtleties of sludge processing in the next wheel size debate.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I always thought UV treatment was the way forward with sewage - might shine a blacklight on my forks and see if they get better or dissolve.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    UV treatment is on final effluent discharge if you want to find it on your local works. Probably at the lowest point of the site or near a river outlet.
    Enjoy.
  • ncn
    It is quite amusing how far off topic its got haha!

Cheers though for the info :-)
  • rockmonkeysc
    Anytime. I have some notes on aerobic and anaerobic processes somewhere if you're interested. The stimulation of bacteria to eat organic particles to make bigger particles is quite an interesting subject.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    They say that an average glass of tap water in London has passed through the human body 7 times. Is this true or just an urban legend?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Fox are very hard and expensive to service as well. Rockshox I do at home
  • rockmonkeysc
    CitizenLee wrote:
    They say that an average glass of tap water in London has passed through the human body 7 times. Is this true or just an urban legend?

True, but only in expensive establishments frequented by ex public school boys and politicians.
    The tap water in London is no different to anywhere else. Reservoirs are filled by rain water (directly and indirectly) which could have come from thousands of miles away.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Every time you take a breath you're breathing in atoms from Ceasar's last breath.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    CitizenLee wrote:

True, but only in expensive establishments frequented by ex public school boys and politicians.
    The tap water in London is no different to anywhere else. Reservoirs are filled by rain water (directly and indirectly) which could have come from thousands of miles away.

think you'll find the tap water in london is different to the water out my tap
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    That would depend upon where the reservoir is and what chemicals have been used in treatment.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Processes vary slightly, the origins of the water doesn't.
    I read today that DVO forks are designed and manufactured by Suntour, is that right?