Best Money no Object Bib Shorts?

2»

Comments

• white91
    white91 Posts: 431
    Yes I wasn't overwhelmed when I first bought Assos shorts, however one day I went back to wearing my old Mavic shorts and immediately realised how good my Assos are (or how bad Mavic were)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    mfin wrote:
    At the moment, the Rapha Pro Team SKY shorts. £90 down from £190.

But you have to put up with Sky being written on them.

Where?

http://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/team-sky-pro-bib-shorts/product/STB01

http://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/team-sky-pro-lightweight-bib-shorts/product/SLB01

I think they come with a free sticker that says 'knob' to put on your forehead too.

Now THAT made my day. :lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • dennisn
    robbo2011 wrote:
    What is the best price / performance shorts that Assos do? (Preferably below 150£)

I would say the S7 Equipe. They are very nice shorts and are a bit more comfortable than the previous top of the range T Fi.13_s5 shorts.

Hmm, £143*, maybe I should take the plunge and see what all the fuss is about...

*unless anyone's seen cheaper?

Mate, I also have the S7 Equipe bibs and they are brilliant. When I tried them in the shop they didn't feel perfect - because I was standing up in them and not crouched over on a bike. The moment I got on a bike however I found out just how good they are.

Yes, they are a lot of money but a) they are the most comfortable bibs I've ever worn, and I've worn a lot, and b) they look just as good now after 20-30 washes as the day I bought them, and thus I think they'll last way longer than most other bibs I've bought in the past which kinda makes them cheaper/better value.

I got back from a ride an hour ago. My Assos Bibs were drying after having been washed so I reluctantly put on a pair of Specialized ones I have knocking around.

Let's put it this way - the Specialized ones are going in the bin and I'm buying another pair of the Assos ones tomorrow.

Damn, throwing around money like that? Can you send me a pair? I'll be your friend for life.
  • Rapha classic bibs are very good. They might be plain, but they wear and wash incredibly well, as in they'll still look like new after a years use. The elastic is great on the areas which get stretched the most (it doesn't fray or lose its elasticity), and the pad is one of the best.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    muppetteer wrote:
    Rapha classic bibs are very good. They might be plain, but they wear and wash incredibly well, as in they'll still look like new after a years use. The elastic is great on the areas which get stretched the most (it doesn't fray or lose its elasticity), and the pad is one of the best.

I've had the opposite experience with their lightweight bibs...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    OK, my minds made up.

As soon as CR or Wiggle do a 10% off, which takes the sting out of the price a little, I'm getting some Equipe S7's (well it is nearly my birthday....).

Then will be interesting to report back and compare with my Castellis.

If I don't think they're worth the £50 extra, I'll put them up for sale on here with another 10% off.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    in my opinion you really need to ride them to assess the worth of a bibshort. So unless you ride them, you won't really know.
  • nibby
    nibby Posts: 246
    been looking at the Assos T Cento S7 but a lot of money to shell out if I don't get on with them.

I like the idea of the 30 day no questions asked on the Rapha ones, anyone know if Assos offer the same service anywhere?
  • dennisn
    nibby wrote:
    been looking at the Assos T Cento S7 but a lot of money to shell out if I don't get on with them.

Through the years I've worn cheap sorts. Simply because I didn't have a ton of money. Can't really recall any issues. These days I wear what might be called "mid range" shorts as I can always find something of good quality on sale. All kinds of different brands. Once again, I can't recall any issues. I think you need to remember that this is cycling, not lounging on a sofa. This total comfort(apparently) that you're looking for is not going to happen. Riding a racing type road bike requires that you "nut up" a bit.

I don't see how anyone could NOT "...get on with them...". They are some of the most well made AND expensive shorts in the world.
  • nibby
    Thanks for the reply. But you missed off the last bit

"I like the idea of the 30 day no questions asked on the Rapha ones, anyone know if Assos offer the same service anywhere?"

Any idea? No? Maybe get back to the question in hand then please.

Thanks.
  • dennisn
    nibby wrote:

"I like the idea of the 30 day no questions asked on the Rapha ones, anyone know if Assos offer the same service anywhere?"

Thanks.

I think you're looking for perfection. Not gonna happen. I say this because, as I said previously, I don't see how any cyclist could NOT "...get on with them...". If you can't ride with the worlds best bibs perhaps you should try another, more comfortable, sport. Darts or billiards? :wink:
  • nibby
    dennisn wrote:
    nibby wrote:

Thanks.

I think you're looking for perfection. Not gonna happen. I say this because, as I said previously, I don't see how any cyclist could NOT "...get on with them...". If you can't ride with the worlds best bibs perhaps you should try another, more comfortable, sport. Darts or billiards? :wink:

JESUS!! I GIVE UP!! Cracking, thanks again for your thought's.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Lighten up man, it's only a forum.

Oh, and the answer to your question is no. You'll just have to buy them and use them.
  • nibby
    Lighten up?? Nice....

I simply asked if anyone knew of anywhere that allowed you to try first, similar to the Rapha ones.

Then I got told I should maybe take up Darts....
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    nibby wrote:
    Lighten up?? Nice....

I simply asked if anyone knew of anywhere that allowed you to try first, similar to the Rapha ones.

Then I got told I should maybe take up Darts....

Here's an answer to your question - I don't know of anywhere that allows you to try first. I've never tried to return anything to Rapha so don't know how flexible the service actually is.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    In any case, I would definitely try them for at least one big ride.

I'm sure they'll be very good. But worth 50% more than my current faves? We shall see, and then if not, a worn once pair of shorts should still sell very well on here, so you've not dropped too much cash.
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    Rapha classics are great, my best shorts. Have some Exteondo's with their top of the line pad and they are not as comfy as the Raphas.

You can buy the classic bundle and punt the jersey + arm warmers on ebay, makes it a bit cheaper.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Grill wrote:
    muppetteer wrote:
    Rapha classic bibs are very good. They might be plain, but they wear and wash incredibly well, as in they'll still look like new after a years use. The elastic is great on the areas which get stretched the most (it doesn't fray or lose its elasticity), and the pad is one of the best.

I've had the opposite experience with their lightweight bibs...

Their lightweight ones are nowhere near as good IME. Leg ends all came apart on mine after about 5 rides. I contacted them and to be fair they said they'd had a bad batch and credited me for them. I then got classics instead, which with the black on black logo you don't look 'rapha'. They are better shorts in my opinion. I bought a second pair not long after.