Best Money no Object Bib Shorts?

bernithebiker
bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
I know it's been discussed before, but prices and products change, so any opinions welcome.

I can't bear to put more than £100 into shorts, but could be tempted if it's genuinely worth it.

For now, I go with Castelli Free Aero Race, bought in sales or off EBay (just got a NWT pair for £70). Great fit and comfort. Look good.

Don't like Assos (too austere, too expensive), or Rapha (too plain, too pricey), but am I missing something?

Etxeondo are on sale and look very good; Orhi, Feather and Attack - anyone tried these?

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    :roll: So "Money no object" followed by "Assos.... too expensive" and "Rapha... too pricey" :roll:
  • I did have a chuckle at that :-D

The Attaque bibs are really good but in a head-to-head ar$e battle with my Rapha Pro Team's the latter wins hands down. I thought I'd try the Attaques in the Merlin sale as they're meant to be the ultimate long distance pad - but that's not the case. They're comfy that's for sure, and the fabric is luxurious, but nothing beats a PT pad and the compression of the lycra is spot on - for me.
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    Assos changed my life. I, like you, was of the opinion that their gear was overpriced - what's in a bit of lyrca and some padding really?? Then i snapped up a pair of Equipes in the sale (£120 from about £140) and haven't looked back. I recently bough the Neopro (entry level) and even they are far superior to the more expensive Castelli and Exteondos i have. Only my Assos bibs ever get worn now. They are expensive, but you ask for money no object options. Not sure they're austere..
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Rapha Pro Team.

I use Assos, Castelli and Rapha and Rapha PT is the best pad I have ever experienced.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Etxeondo if you have deep pockets
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Free Aero race are currently £80 on wiggle :)
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • tazmon
    tazmon Posts: 107
    My favourites are Sportful Bodyfit Pro Limited Edition (with perforated straps). The pad is amazing - I have the same one in my winter tights too. They can be bought for around £85.

Cheers
    Rory
    Road - Scott Solace
    Mountain - Santa Cruz Tazmon (retro) and Scott Spark
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    At the moment, the Rapha Pro Team SKY shorts. £90 down from £190.

But you have to put up with Sky being written on them.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I don't get on with free aero race on anything more than a short ride.

I've tried many but Assos is where it's at IMO. I'm still using S5 Mille / Uno shorts, my mate has the S7s and says they are a big leap forward...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • deanflyer
    deanflyer Posts: 52
    edited August 2014
    I thought i was mad spending over £130 on some Assos FI.Mille S5 bib shorts, but they are soooooo comfortable. And compared to some cheapo altura shorts are night and day. They are also great for long turbo trainer sessions.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I don't get on with free aero race on anything more than a short ride.

I've tried many but Assos is where it's at IMO. I'm still using S5 Mille / Uno shorts, my mate has the S7s and says they are a big leap forward...

Same here. I can squeeze into an XL Free Aero (I'm large in Assos) but they are so tight.

If I go XXL they are almost 3/4 length.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    Haven't tried them myself but I keep hearing good things about the Castelli Body Paint 2.0. £105 on wiggle at the moment so I'm pretty tempted to buy them, it's just a lot when I don't NEED a pair.
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    Prhymeate wrote:
    Haven't tried them myself but I keep hearing good things about the Castelli Body Paint 2.0. £105 on wiggle at the moment so I'm pretty tempted to buy them, it's just a lot when I don't NEED a pair.

I have 2 pairs. I thought they were good....until i found Assos. Now they come out for short turbo sessions only.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Assos S7 T.Cento are just amazing. Can't wait to try the S7 T.Campionissimo.

You spend a lot on your bikes, why compromise on what spends the most time attached to it?
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    Grill wrote:

You spend a lot on your bikes, why compromise on what spends the most time attached to it?

Better than the Castelli Body Fit with the Progetto X2? I might be wrong but I thought you were one of the people that I'd read on here who swore by the body fit.
  • bernithebiker
    maybe I should have titled it; Best High End Bib shorts, as money IS an object for me!

I find Assos has so many bib shorts, it's confusing to know whats what, and I'm still struggling to get much above the £100 barrier (as is my wife..)

The Castelli Body Paints on Wiggle are only available in the black / fluo in my size (medium) which is not for me.

I like the look and the price of the Rapha Team Sky Pro Lightweight shorts (115E), and would buy them, but they have SKY written up the sides.....!

What is the best price / performance shorts that Assos do? (Preferably below 150£)
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Prhymeate wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Better than the Castelli Body Fit with the Progetto X2? I might be wrong but I thought you were one of the people that I'd read on here who swore by the body fit.

Indeed, but I just got the S7 the end of April and it changed my life. From now on nothing but a kuku penthouse touches these nuts.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    What is the best price / performance shorts that Assos do? (Preferably below 150£)

I would say the S7 Equipe. They are very nice shorts and are a bit more comfortable than the previous top of the range T Fi.13_s5 shorts.
  • As well as all of the above, I bought some Capo shorts for £60. Really pleased with them.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bernithebiker
    robbo2011 wrote:

I would say the S7 Equipe. They are very nice shorts and are a bit more comfortable than the previous top of the range T Fi.13_s5 shorts.

Hmm, £143*, maybe I should take the plunge and see what all the fuss is about...

*unless anyone's seen cheaper?
  • At the moment, the Rapha Pro Team SKY shorts. £90 down from £190.

Where?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    At the moment, the Rapha Pro Team SKY shorts. £90 down from £190.

Where?

http://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/team-sky-pro-bib-shorts/product/STB01

http://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/team-sky-pro-lightweight-bib-shorts/product/SLB01

I think they come with a free sticker that says 'knob' to put on your forehead too.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have a pair of the new S7 T.Campionissimo which at first seem a bit odd - very lightweight and the material feels different to the previous generation S5's. The padding is also a bit strange in that it is noticably thinner than any of the S5's. I think they are comfortable in so far as I've not actually thought about them whilst out riding! If looking for best value Assos shorts I still reckon the F1.13_s5 shorts are fantastic. They are similar in fit to the Uno (race fit) but for me they are much more comfortable plus the material on the seat of the pants is much more robust than any I have seen on bibs before. If you can get a decent price on them I've no hesitation in recommending them. The Campionissimo are good but I'm afraid when I think 'reality check' there is no way I'll pay that sort of money again for a pair of bibs.

Peter
  • anjasola
    anjasola Posts: 145
    For me Assos however I purchased some Etxeondo shorts for £75 from Merlin Cycles and they are very good.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    robbo2011 wrote:

Hmm, £143*, maybe I should take the plunge and see what all the fuss is about...

Mate, I also have the S7 Equipe bibs and they are brilliant. When I tried them in the shop they didn't feel perfect - because I was standing up in them and not crouched over on a bike. The moment I got on a bike however I found out just how good they are.

Yes, they are a lot of money but a) they are the most comfortable bibs I've ever worn, and I've worn a lot, and b) they look just as good now after 20-30 washes as the day I bought them, and thus I think they'll last way longer than most other bibs I've bought in the past which kinda makes them cheaper/better value.
  • Assos all the way now.....like you, I baulked at spending that sort of money on bibs, but nothing of spending £100 on a saddle, £80 on pedals or £45 on a tyre :roll: .....so I plucked up the courage and bought a pair of S5 uno's......they transformed my riding experience....I now have 3 pairs, they are so comfortable.....I just did London to Paris in 3 days, wearing the same pair (washed in the sink each night :lol:) and they were awesome!

I'm never wearing anything else again.
  • white91
    white91 Posts: 431
    Assos are what I use, had UNOs Milles and F13s, Mille are the best for me, but the quality on the f13 is amazing
  • I'm never wearing anything else again.

There's probably laws against that kind of thing.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    robbo2011 wrote:

Mate, I also have the S7 Equipe bibs and they are brilliant. When I tried them in the shop they didn't feel perfect - because I was standing up in them and not crouched over on a bike. The moment I got on a bike however I found out just how good they are.

Yes, they are a lot of money but a) they are the most comfortable bibs I've ever worn, and I've worn a lot, and b) they look just as good now after 20-30 washes as the day I bought them, and thus I think they'll last way longer than most other bibs I've bought in the past which kinda makes them cheaper/better value.

I got back from a ride an hour ago. My Assos Bibs were drying after having been washed so I reluctantly put on a pair of Specialized ones I have knocking around.

Let's put it this way - the Specialized ones are going in the bin and I'm buying another pair of the Assos ones tomorrow.