Are Orange owners colour blind?

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Go to any uplift day at a downhill track near you and you'll be able to hear the Orange bikes some distance away.

I thought it was a well known fact that Orange designed the swingarm so that it amplified chain/freehub noise, thus letting you know there was a potential nodder approaching?

But if you missed the racket, you'll definitely see them. Dayglo paint job with matching poc helmet. They only learnt how to "drop off" on a skills course two weeks ago, so the bright colours make them easy to spot for the Mountain Rescue, when the inevitable happens.

Be careful out there.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    That big box section swing arm acts as an amplifier. Any little creak gets amplified to sound like the frame is falling apart.
    At DH races you can tell there's an Orange coming before you can see it.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Ok, I can't say I have noticed it to be honest. At uplift days, watching downhill or whatever. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen I guess. I know that my five is silent apart from the stupid sound of the hope hub. It's certainly a million times quiter than my old creaky canyon!
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have heard of someone filling the swing arm on theit Orange 224 with expanding foam to damp the noise. Surprisingly the expanding foam expanded and destroyed his swing arm!
  • russyh
    Ha ha, brilliant. Would love to of seen the mess that made. Horrible stuff that expanding foam!
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    My bike is far from silent, and it's supposed to be covert..

Nasty creak from one of the pivots amplified through the whole frame and took ages to find

One thing I dislike about Orange is their marketing.. They've made some big deal about the whole new segment which looks just like all of their other bikes but with a smaller shock.. and their new 322 which is the same as their DH bikes from the 90s
  • russyh
    Not sure that's fair, they have not made a 'big deal' out of the segment launch. Just like any other bike manufacturer would when they release a new model really. I agree all orange bikes look similar, but then thats the way car manufacturers are going now. They want brand identity....(Not sure really thats what orange were looking at when they designed new bikes). But in essence they stick to what they know, what works and what sells bikes. Despite what people think on here they do sell plenty of them! Also just because the 322 has a similar look to their older downhill frames doesn't mean its the same does it?
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    At the risk of covering old ground, I thought we already established that something doesn't have to be good for people to buy it and that Orange is prime example of that. It is generally older guys with money that buy them and "All the gear no idea" is a phrase often associated with Orange owners, many would say for good reason. It's the same with Burton snowboards, it's a brand that everyone knows from back in the day, so as they grow up and start earning more cash they go and buy everything Burton, just because they still perceive them to be the best... even though they're not.

Don't take it as a diss on your Five though Russ (or AJ if you're reading), as you know I like it ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • russyh
    I don't buddy, know worries of that. But continuous Orange hating threads (which really only seem to be on this forum) get a bit ground-hog day-ish.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have never seen a 322 that anyone has bought with their own money. To be honest you would have to be completely mental to buy one when you can get a carbon Devinci Wilson for less money with a better build and they are far better.
  • CitizenLee
    Russyh wrote:
    I don't buddy, know worries of that. But continuous Orange hating threads (which really only seem to be on this forum) get a bit ground-hog day-ish.

Aye, it's running theme, but can be a funny one too at times :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    Here's a particularly tasteful beauty
    p4pb10100193.jpg

And another lovely example
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqFk85D3mokzJpMbS2vec9TvJflPGZ5Uxgx9EJBDMU94YiEIuP

And this is very suitable
    PrivateerOrangeFive29-032.jpg
  • russyh
    I find it funny, especially the stuff about them being old fashioned with shite wields and ridden by middle age fat blokes. But sometimes others seem to jump on a bandwagon when in my opinion it sounds like hey have never swung a leg over one to comment.

Love RockMonkeys story about the swing arm and foam. Its all good fun. I cant comment on the downhill frames, i know so little about that side of things. But it amazes me how many people who don't race are concerned about having something which is less fun but marginally faster. Its all about the meat on the seat anyway. I have hammered it past people on carbon SantaCruz's up and downhill and have been passed by people on £300 carreras. What is good for one, is rubbish for another. I like women with pert bottoms and pretty faces. Apparently others seem happy with ugly fatties. Each to everyone's own!
  • russyh
    Here's a particularly tasteful beauty
    p4pb10100193.jpg

And another lovely example
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqFk85D3mokzJpMbS2vec9TvJflPGZ5Uxgx9EJBDMU94YiEIuP

And this is very suitable
    PrivateerOrangeFive29-032.jpg

Hmmm, they dont help themselves some of my fellow Orange owners!!!!! For the love of God, they are goping
  • rockmonkeysc
    Russyh wrote:
    I cant comment on the downhill frames, i know so little about that side of things. But it amazes me how many people who don't race are concerned about having something which is less fun but marginally faster.

Orange DH bikes aren't fun to ride. The pedal feedback is nasty.
    It doesn't matter if you're racing or not, downhill is all about speed, more speed = more fun
  • russyh
    Sorry Rockmonkey, thats not what i meant i was talking about their trail bikes. I know my covert was faster then my five, but nothing like as much fun. Like I said, i don't really race (mountain bikes) other than the odd 'Enduro' if that's the right term for it. So extrapolating every ounce of speed on every section of the trail is not my most important factor, having fun is. If people are honest with themselves, i'm sure they would think the same.

Like i say i cant/wont comment on the DH bikes, its not really my bag other than watching the World Champs on redbull TV
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    If its not black or carbon fiber, I don't want it.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I found the Five a bit boring to ride. It's the mountain bike equivalent to a mondeo, very good and you can't fault it for anything but for me it's just not as fun as other similar bikes.
  • CitizenLee
    I found the Five a bit boring to ride. It's the mountain bike equivalent to a mondeo, very good and you can't fault it for anything but for me it's just not as fun as other similar bikes.

Haha :) Just proves different strokes for different folks though. Look at AJ for example, he's loving his Five much more than his Mega. I thought he was mad but he's happy.

I've only ridden DH and HT Oranges so can't comment on the Five, but I'd glady take one out for the day to see what I think.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • russyh
    Well said Lee, you would be welcome to borrow mine if i can have a go on your mega.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I quite liked the P7 hardtail and the Blood slopestyle bike. I hated the 224 and 322, pedal feedback ruins the ride and geometry is a bit old fashioned. Can't say anything bad about the Five, they work.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I have a friend who rides a five and he's way faster than i'll ever be (and probably faster than most of you too)

he beat me down the rangers path at Snowdon by 4 minutes on a five!!

he loves his bike and I love mine, I don't care whether it's orange....but I do care if it's blue and pink...that's just wrong!
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    welshkev wrote:
    I have a friend who rides a five and he's way faster than i'll ever be (and probably faster than most of you too)

he beat me down the rangers path at Snowdon by 4 minutes on a five!!

he loves his bike and I love mine, I don't care whether it's orange....but I do care if it's blue and pink...that's just wrong!

So far enough in front that you couldnt hear the god awful racket they apparently make? how nice of him
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Manc33 wrote:
    If its not black or carbon fiber, I don't want it.

funny, thats what your mum says too :lol:
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Russyh wrote:
    I like women with pert bottoms and pretty faces. Apparently others seem happy with ugly fatties. Each to everyone's own!
    but do you like them in dayglow orange?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • CitizenLee
    95064Orange_Tan_Stan.png
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Why are some people so concerned with what others choose to buy, Orange or otherwise? It's like Android owners who feel an uncontrollable urge to tell iPhone owners how they've wasted their money (and will, inevitably and ironically, complain about iPhone users banging on about their phones... while banging on about their phones). Or McLaren 12C owners who simply can't contain themselves and just have to tell Ferrari 458 owners what a waste of money their car is because the 12C is a second or two faster around the Nürburgring. One might almost imagine that they might be trying to justify their own purchases to the world and, most importantly, to themselves...
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • pesky_jones
    Why are some people so concerned with what others choose to buy, Orange or otherwise? It's like Android owners who feel an uncontrollable urge to tell iPhone owners how they've wasted their money (and will, inevitably and ironically, complain about iPhone users banging on about their phones... while banging on about their phones).

I'm guilty of this. Mainly cos the amount of times I need to charge my phone and the godam charger doesn't fit.

You dont happen to own an iphone do you? :twisted:
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Why are some people so concerned with what others choose to buy, Orange or otherwise? It's like Android owners who feel an uncontrollable urge to tell iPhone owners how they've wasted their money (and will, inevitably and ironically, complain about iPhone users banging on about their phones... while banging on about their phones).

I'm guilty of this. Mainly cos the amount of times I need to charge my phone and the godam charger doesn't fit.

You dont happen to own an iphone do you? :twisted:

Ha, ha, no. I use one of these...

... which is probably older than some of the people posting on this board, so I'm in no position to criticise anyone's phone.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • pesky_jones
    I only recently got my smart phone, My old phone was older than that, its the razr isnt it?

Before I was of the opnion that aslong as the phone calls and texts ok, then it's all good. Now im a slave to the social media world etc. Its scary what you have to agree to with some apps.

What pissed me off was the facebook messenger, it now forces you to download a seperate app. Permissions you have to give include location, access to contacts, and the most scary - permission to access camera and voice recorder :shock:

I'm pretty sure its not the only app to ask for these.

Its wierd, it was only about ten years ago when using msn that people were wary of using their real names for their screen names etc now look where we are.

on a seperate note, look at this old cartoon I saw the other day, it dipicts the horror and obscenity of being watched on CCTV, once again - look at where we are now.
    Screenshot_2014-08-14-13-31-37_1_zps68g2jnpc.jpg