2014 Worlds

Comments

• Hope froome doesn't go as he's not the best at one day races. Send the kids with a few old heads. lets see whats the yates brothers can do
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,956
    edited September 2014
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Hope froome doesn't go as he's not the best at one day races. Send the kids with a few old heads. lets see whats the yates brothers can do
    It's more that this year doesn't have a huge amount of climbing and doesn't really suit Froome.
    Swift could do OK, Thomas perhaps. Stannard when it rains as it often does in that part of Spain
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    GB surely can't do worse than last year's embarrassment.

I hope Swift can put in a decent performance. He showed what he can do in long one-day races at Milan San Remo.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    FJS wrote:
    Hope froome doesn't go as he's not the best at one day races. Send the kids with a few old heads. lets see whats the yates brothers can do
    It's more that this year doesn't have a huge amount of climbing and doesn't really suit Froome.
    Swift could do OK, Thomas perhaps. Stannard when it rains as it often does in that part of Spain

I thought it was supposed to be a hard course? 4300m of climbing is not too shabby, though it's spread over a very long course.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    No Majka for Poland
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    inseine wrote:
    FJS wrote:

I thought it was supposed to be a hard course? 4300m of climbing is not too shabby, though it's spread over a very long course.
    All teams who've done recces come back saying it's not too bad. Cancellara fancies it, Boonen too, even though it might be just a bit too tough for him; Freire tips Sagan. Not a real climbers course (Richmond next year and Qatar 2016 even less so. Let's hope for Bergen, Innsbruck or Bogota rather than Melbourne for 2017)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,173
    FJS wrote:
    Not a real climbers course (Richmond next year and Qatar 2016 even less so. Let's hope for Bergen, Innsbruck or Bogota rather than Melbourne for 2017)
    Surely it will be Bergen or Innsbruck. Three consectutive years outside Europe surely won't happen.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    Not a real climbers course (Richmond next year and Qatar 2016 even less so. Let's hope for Bergen, Innsbruck or Bogota rather than Melbourne for 2017)
    Surely it will be Bergen or Innsbruck. Three consectutive years outside Europe surely won't happen.

A visit to Ireland is long over due.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    A visit to Ireland is long over due.
    If only they had someone with influence with the UCI.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,868
    RichN95 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    I think you're wrong Rich, GB have only qualified 8 riders.
    The UCI think it's nine.

(Page 13) http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/News ... nglish.pdf

We do this every year. :D

By rights GB qualify 9 riders, as they are ranked in the top 14 nations in the World Tour, but we can only enter the number of riders who've scored WT points, which this season is 8.
    They changed the rules this year. If you have less than nine you can top it up with riders that you would have qualified from their continental tour points. When Adam Blythe won in London it took GB up to 14th - and the top 14 get spots. So GB went up to nine. An assessment supported by the official UCI document saying who qualified for what.

Here's the rules in full:
    The 10 first nations in UCI WorldTour classification by nation on 15 August 2014: each nation may enter 14 riders, with 9 to start.

However, a nation with fewer than 9 riders classified in the individual UCI WorldTour ranking on 15 August 2014 shall start with the number of riders that are classified.

A nation with 6 or less riders classified in the individual UCI WorldTour ranking can never the less start 6 riders.

The nations that have fewer than 9 riders classified in the individual UCI WorldTour can complete their remaining athlete quota, by adding the places it would have received through their respective continental circuit – the UCI Africa Tour, UCI America Tour, UCI Asia Tour, UCI Europe Tour and the UCI Oceania Tour – but must not, however, exceed the athlete quota of 14 riders with 9 to start obtained in the UCI WorldTour classification by nation.

I'm surprised no-one has suggested that BC instructed Swift to let Blythe win - people on the internet missing a chance of an anti-BC conspiracy theory!! :shock:
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    I'm surprised no-one has suggested that BC instructed Swift to let Blythe win - people on the internet missing a chance of an anti-BC conspiracy theory!! :shock:
    Back in 2011 when GB were chasing points at the Tour of Poland, I think Sky were helping set up Blythe for the sprints (he got a 5th place on one - job done).
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,142
    So a quick scroll through the WT rankings shows that 8 GB riders have scored points this season. Which would explain why BC, but not Rich, think that they've only qualified 8 places.
  • Pross
    andyp wrote:
    So a quick scroll through the WT rankings shows that 8 GB riders have scored points this season. Which would explain why BC, but not Rich, think that they've only qualified 8 places.

Isn't Rich referring to this though (which is too complicated for me)
    The nations that have fewer than 9 riders classified in the individual UCI WorldTour can complete their remaining athlete quota, by adding the places it would have received through their respective continental circuit – the UCI Africa Tour, UCI America Tour, UCI Asia Tour, UCI Europe Tour and the UCI Oceania Tour – but must not, however, exceed the athlete quota of 14 riders with 9 to start obtained in the UCI WorldTour classification by nation.

I don't know how many riders have got UCI Europe points that haven't got WT points though.
  • RichN95.
    andyp wrote:
    FFS. The rules have changed. Here is a screen grab of the OFFICIAL UCI DOCUMENT detailing the number of qualifiers, which I linked to earlier.
    (The arrows where added by me in the hope you won't ignore it again)

I'm not voicing my opinion here. I'm stating UCI fact.

2h84yut.jpg
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    I don't know how many riders have got UCI Europe points that haven't got WT points though.
    You get one or the other, not both. Only riders on WT teams get WT points and only non-WT riders get UCI Europe points.

So for example, Chavanel won Plouay (a WT event) recently, but he rides for IAM, a Pro Conti team so gets no WT points for it. Similarly, Peter Kennaugh won the Tour of Austria but got no UCI Europe points because he is a WT rider.

(PS Don't complain to me if you think this is dumb)
  • andyp
    I'm not arguing with you, Rich, as I read the document you linked too, but am trying to ascertain why BC think they've only qualified 8 riders, instead of the 9 which they appear to be entitled to.
  • RichN95.
    andyp wrote:
    I'm not arguing with you, Rich, as I read the document you linked too, but am trying to ascertain why BC think they've only qualified 8 riders, instead of the 9 which they appear to be entitled to.
    Who knows? As a rule I ask myself, 'can this be explained by someone doing a shoddy job'. If the answer is yes then that's probably the answer.
  • Pross
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    You get one or the other, not both. Only riders on WT teams get WT points and only non-WT riders get UCI Europe points.

So for example, Chavanel won Plouay (a WT event) recently, but he rides for IAM, a Pro Conti team so gets no WT points for it. Similarly, Peter Kennaugh won the Tour of Austria but got no UCI Europe points because he is a WT rider.

(PS Don't complain to me if you think this is dumb)

So....do any GB riders have UCI Europe points then? Sorry, I'm just being too lazy to look! Also, can a Conti rider pick up points e.g. Blythe at London?

What's really dumb is the fact that you have to have a set number of riders with the points but can then give the ride to anyone. If you are going to make the points a means of selection then surely only riders with points should be eligible to ride?
  • Pross
    To answer my own questions, yes there are quite a few GB riders with UCI Europe points. I got bored after Blythe, Thwaites, Doull, Moses, McClay and House. Not sure where they get them all though.
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    So....do any GB riders have UCI Europe points then? Sorry, I'm just being too lazy to look! Also, can a Conti rider pick up points e.g. Blythe at London?
    Yeah quite a few. I think all UCI races have points, so there's plenty on offer. Conti riders welcome

Top ten Brits on current UCI Europe rankings:

72. Adam Blythe 124
    111. Scott Thwaites 89
    140. Owain Doull 74
    152. Daniel McLay 70.5
    189. Tom Moses 60
    193. Graham Briggs 58
    264. Kristian House 43
    352. Daniel Pearson 33
    377. Mark Christian 30
    471. Erick Rowsell 20

There's a total of 1069 riders with points. Last Brit: James McLaughlin with one point)

Top three overall:
    1. Tom van Asbroeck 437
    2. Magnus Cort Nielsen 418
    3. Sonny Colbrelli 340
    (Sam Bennett is 8th - 304)

To complicate things further, points from all Continental Tours count to the nation's ranking. So GB's top scorer is actually Hugh Carthy who has 148 points from the Asian Tour while riding for a British team.
  • “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • andyp
    He's only out of the Team Time Trial for now, and hopes to recover in time for the road race.
  • RichN95.
    He's only out of the team time trial.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    He's only out of the team time trial.
  • What was that?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    I think he's only out of the Team Time Trial.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • British team announced - 9 WT riders in the Senior men's team, and that doesn't included Dowsett & Wiggins (TT only) or Cav (declined selection).
  • RichN95.
    GB team: Cummings, Froome Kennaugh, Millar, Rowe, Swift, Thomas, S Yates, A Yates

Women: Armitstead, A Barnes, H Barnes, Christian, Garner, Last

If Scotland vote yes then Millar will be made to cycle on his own in a different kit - probably just his vest and pants.
  • Pross
    Surprised at Millar making the team. I guess he's there as 'road captain'. Who is / are likely to be the protected rider(s)? Could the course suit Thomas or are they likely to ride for Froome?