The Irony Thread

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,752
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    rjsterry said:

morstar said:

My daughter has had her lowest grade (D) in her strongest subject where she has only ever had an A in coursework, tests and mock.
    Other grades as expected.
    There is no sense in it at all. College is not in affluent area and her classmates have all lost min of two grades in the subject.
    College appealing the entire class.

Sorry to hear that @morstar. Twitter seems to be full of similar stories. If universities are withdrawing all these offers, who is going to fill the places? The reports of big disparities between state and private students are worrying.
    It’s definitely a baffling one. Fortunately for her, she had already made non-uni plans for the next year for various reasons but she is still frustrated by it.

We went to the pub this evening with her and some of her friends and it seems about 60% of the grades are generally sensible and the remainder are simply inexplicable.

I actually joked how when I got my grades, there were always people who had surprisingly good or bad results and they have simply tried to retain that excitement.
    I’m hoping I’m joking but I’m no longer sure.
  • morstar
    Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

My daughter has had her lowest grade (D) in her strongest subject where she has only ever had an A in coursework, tests and mock.
    Other grades as expected.
    There is no sense in it at all. College is not in affluent area and her classmates have all lost min of two grades in the subject.
    College appealing the entire class.

Hope she gets something morstar. As mentioned above it felt like a lottery without the chance to take the real exams.
    Thanks Stevo. I believe your daughter has her vet med place so congrats to her. Mine had already re-directed her attentions over the last few months so has made alternate plans for the next 12 months with a view to doing uni next year. She does have offers for this year but I think she has an interesting year lined up already.
    Fingers crossed for all those going through clearing.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,428
    Oi Blakey - change it back please.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    ...or i'll start whingeing.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,853
    pinno said:

When people start posting irony.
    Isn't it ironic...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • morstar
    Final word on the subject.
    What has been proven categorically is that you cannot assess and measure an individuals education using statistical models. It is clearly stupid and has been proven so.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,357
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

Isn't it ironic...
    Stop whinging...
  • pinno

pblakeney said:

pinno said:

Isn't it ironic...
    Stop whinging...
    He snookered you there Blakey.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,692
    With its new title, this could become the most popular thread in Cake Stop. Ever. :smiley:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Stevo_666 said:

With its new title, this could become the most popular thread in Cake Stop. Ever. :smiley:

I was thinking similar. Is it possible to amalgamate the Brexit, coronavirus, covid masks in shops, Donald Trump, and Edward Colston threads under this title?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,799
    shortfall said:

Stevo_666 said:

I was thinking similar. Is it possible to amalgamate the Brexit, coronavirus, covid masks in shops, Donald Trump, and Edward Colston threads under this title?
    Oh stop whining.
  • shortfall

shortfall said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh stop whining.
    Well I'm in the right place😘
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,310
    shortfall said:

Stevo_666 said:

Apart from Edward Colston, those threads have mostly all stuck remarkably well to their title subject.
  • shortfall
    edited August 2020

shortfall said:

Stevo_666 said:

Apart from Edward Colston, those threads have mostly all stuck remarkably well to their title subject.
    It was more a comment about the general whingeing that went on in those threads, usually at the expense of people who aren't comfortably off, liberal professionals.
  • kingstongraham
    Anyway, is it irony that the great battle of Britpop, 25 years ago today, the high point of the musical movement, was between pretty much the absolute worst songs by both bands?
  • shortfall

Anyway, is it irony that the great battle of Britpop, 25 years ago today, the high point of the musical movement, was between pretty much the absolute worst songs by both bands?

I always wanted Damon Albarn to knock out Liam Gallagher. Or anyone to knock him out actually 😀
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    edited August 2020
    It's rather ironic that the lockdown fanatics are now angry at the exam result chaos the lockdown they wanted has caused
  • Stevo_666

shortfall said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh stop whining.
    Funny seeing you here Rick :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Stevo_666 said:

It was more a comment about the general whingeing that went on in those threads, usually at the expense of people who aren't comfortably off, liberal professionals.
    Mo money mo problems or something, right?
  • shortfall

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Stevo_666 said:

I was thinking more along the lines of "Let them eat cake" or not understanding somebody else's sh1tty situation because you're so remote from it. Is that what your song means?
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2020
    shortfall said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Stevo_666 said:

I was thinking more along the lines of "Let them eat cake" or not understanding somebody else's sh1tty situation because you're so remote from it. Is that what your song means?
    Rich vein of rap records to pick from here, under the 'im still gangsta despite being successful' genre, so I'll stick with mainstream. Forgot about Dre.
  • kingstongraham
    I still find Coopster's pro-BLM avatar amusing.
  • Stevo_666
    shortfall said:

Stevo_666 said:

I reckon the idea of having a quarantine thread for most of the whiney bollox and agenda pushing is a good 'un. Might make Cake Stop a more fun place to be.

Think of it like putting a pint glass with some sugary water in it a decent distance from where you're sitting in a pub garden to keep the wasps away.
  • rick_chasey
    shortfall said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Stevo_666 said:

On a less taking the p!ss note - stop voting for parties who ideologically are relaxed about increase inequality if that actually bothers you.
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo_666 said:

shortfall said:

Stevo_666 said:

I reckon the idea of having a quarantine thread for most of the whiney bollox and agenda pushing is a good 'un. Might make Cake Stop a more fun place to be.

Think of it like putting a pint glass with some sugary water in it a decent distance from where you're sitting in a pub garden to keep the wasps away.
    Pretty much everyone who has posted on this thread would be drowning in sugar water in seconds.
  • Stevo_666

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Stevo_666 said:

On a less taking the p!ss note - stop voting for parties who ideologically are relaxed about increase inequality if that actually bothers you.
    I think shortfall is more likely to be looking for a party to vote for that takes a harder line against condescending online comments.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

shortfall said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pretty much everyone who has posted on this thread would be drowning in sugar water in seconds.
    It's a good plan then?
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

shortfall said:

Stevo_666 said:

I think shortfall is more likely to be looking for a party to vote for that takes a harder line against condescending online comments.
    Cut nose spite etc.