Bike fit before or after purchase?

rja
rja Posts: 78
Hi all,

As above really, looking at getting a new bike, to me it makes sense to get fitted first, if I'm spending (what I consider to be) a considerate amount on a new bike, to find best size frame/components etc, before I spend.

However, a lot of bike fits say bring your bike along. (I might add that the bike fit is a 3D bike fit at the University and not a bike shop, so it's not included in bike price)

Any input would be much appreciated, as I'm not keen on paying for one before and after. (Alternatively, can bike shops set up a bike from dimensions obtained from the bike fit?)

As you can see I've never had a bike fit before!

Cheers,
R

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well the shop I bought my bike from spent quite a bit of time fitting the bike to me. Ended up ordering in the next size down to get the correct reach.

Can't imagine how you'd go about choosing the right size bike otherwise...
  • rja
    Sure, I realise you get some advise when buying a bike. But people obviously have current bikes set up for them (ie ones bought elsewhere) at bike fits, otherwise you'd not be advised to bring it. For example I could get my current bike fitted professionally to suit my needs/style/size/dimensions. There are bike calculators online to get you in the right ball park, but that seems a gamble when paying for a more expensive bike.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Get the fit first and some advice on how to replicate the same position on your new one. If nothing else you may be able to specify the bar width, crank length etc that you want rather than having to buy new stuff. Not that I'm a big believer in the necessity of paying for a bike fit but if you are going to I'd have thought getting the fit first made sense.

The only down side is you will have to adjust the new bike yourself whereas if you already own it the fitter does that for you as part of the fit.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rja
    Get the fit first and some advice on how to replicate the same position on your new one. If nothing else you may be able to specify the bar width, crank length etc that you want rather than having to buy new stuff. Not that I'm a big believer in the necessity of paying for a bike fit but if you are going to I'd have thought getting the fit first made sense.

The only down side is you will have to adjust the new bike yourself whereas if you already own it the fitter does that for you as part of the fit.

Thanks, this is the route I'd imagine I may have to take. The bike fit will give crucial dimensions ie.

imagejpg1.jpg

So I guess the only way will be to try and have replicate these myself when I get my new bike.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    If you go to a decent bike shop they should do a bike fit before you buy and include it in the price. If you buy a bike then have a fit you might find your riding position can't be dialled into your new bike e.g. my ride position doesn't fit with sportive type bikes as the head tubes are too high.