Mini Pump

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited August 2014 in Commuting chat
I am after a mini pump that will fit in a jersey pocket and that will allow me to get a tyre inflated to 100+ psi with my tiny t-rex arms.

I have a decent enough road morph type pump that i carry in my rucksack when commuting but its too big for a pocket and too bulky to strap to the bike.

Budget <£30 if possible.

Or should i be looking at CO2 inflators?
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• mpdouglas
    mpdouglas Posts: 220
    I get on well with this:

http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/racerocket_hp_sl

Should be about £23. I have a couple of mini pumps but I like this one because it connects to the valve through a short hose. I find the direct connect ones tend to bend the valve core. The "HP" designation on this one means it's good for 160psi but I can't say I've ever tested it that high. The connector is quite clever and works for both Presta and Schrader (in case you're out with others on MTBs or the like).
    "The Flying Scot"
    Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
    Sunday Best - Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc w/ DuraAce Di2
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    Lezyne Pressure Drive is great, small enough for jersey pocket and within your budget. They claim it will give you 120psi - not sure about that but it certainly will inflate tyres hard enough to ride on.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    I have this, which because it's designed to work like a track pump makes getting to high pressures really easy, as you're pushing against the ground, not yourself.

It lives in my rear jersey pocket and is the same size as any other "jersey pump".
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    rower63 wrote:
    I have this, which because it's designed to work like a track pump makes getting to high pressures really easy, as you're pushing against the ground, not yourself.

It lives in my rear jersey pocket and is the same size as any other "jersey pump".

+1
  • rubertoe
    The Mini morph is pretty similar to what i already have. I am looking for soemthing smaller
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    rubertoe wrote:
    The Mini morph is pretty similar to what i already have. I am looking for soemthing smaller
    Just looked at the specs. I never thought I'd be bragging like this, but yours is 35cm long, mine is 26cm, similar diameter and weight.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    mpdouglas wrote:
    I get on well with this:

http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/racerocket_hp_sl

Should be about £23. I have a couple of mini pumps but I like this one because it connects to the valve through a short hose. I find the direct connect ones tend to bend the valve core. The "HP" designation on this one means it's good for 160psi but I can't say I've ever tested it that high. The connector is quite clever and works for both Presta and Schrader (in case you're out with others on MTBs or the like).

Yep. This. 18cm
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Bontrager Air Rush. Excellent pump and does CO2 as well. Best of both worlds.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Bontrager Air Rush. Excellent pump and does CO2 as well. Best of both worlds.

That's what I use. Small and light. Works well enough. High pressure attainable and provides CO2 option. Would be improved by a flexi-hose and the ability to lock the pump down.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    if its not 160 psi its not worth bothering about 8)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tope ... -prod74898
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    and one of these for wet weather winter rides http://genuineinnovations.itwgbx.com/pr ... -inflator/

bought mine for £10 in my LBS
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rubertoe
    it’s got a decently long stroke action and a chunky 1cm diameter shaft.

From the BR review.

:oops:

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,580
    itboffin wrote:

Yo ITB, do you have one of these??

I can't seem to find out anywhere whether the hose screws onto the valve, or simply pushes on as per a normal presta connection?

The reason I ask is that I already have a lezyne, but have heard issues of them unscrewing a removable core if your tube has a removable core - and guess what, pretty much all of my Continental tubes have removable able cores!

Found a you tube video out there, and a separate review, but neither state categorically how the presta side of it attaches to the valve.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • PBo
    Daniel B wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I can't seem to find out anywhere whether the hose screws onto the valve, or simply pushes on as per a normal presta connection?

The reason I ask is that I already have a lezyne, but have heard issues of them unscrewing a removable core if your tube has a removable core - and guess what, pretty much all of my Continental tubes have removable able cores!

Found a you tube video out there, and a separate review, but neither state categorically how the presta side of it attaches to the valve.

Screws on.

And, yes, irritatingly, unscrews cores.
  • wandsworth wrote:
    Lezyne Pressure Drive is great, small enough for jersey pocket and within your budget. They claim it will give you 120psi - not sure about that but it certainly will inflate tyres hard enough to ride on.

I second that. Lezyne are my long time favourite.
  • itboffin
    PBo wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Screws on.

aye screws on but doesnt remove the core like my Lezyne does I highly recommend it if you want the confidence of pumping a tyre back to a psi good enough to enjoy the rest of your ride rather than limping home.
  • daniel_b
    itboffin wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Screws on.

aye screws on but doesnt remove the core like my Lezyne does I highly recommend it if you want the confidence of pumping a tyre back to a psi good enough to enjoy the rest of your ride rather than limping home.

That's good enough for me, duly ordered in black - Wiggle have the same price as CRC by the way.
    Personally think the Gold looks gash - WHY do more manufacturers not make items with some yellow on them :?
    I DON'T WANT BLOODY GOLD!!!!
    topeak-race-rocket-hp-zoom.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • PBo
    The gold looks better in real life....
  • rubertoe
    Gone for a race rocket HP.

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Daniel B wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Screws on.

That's good enough for me, duly ordered in black - Wiggle have the same price as CRC by the way.
    Personally think the Gold looks gash - WHY do more manufacturers not make items with some yellow on them :?
    I DON'T WANT BLOODY GOLD!!!!
    topeak-race-rocket-hp-zoom.jpg

and after all that - that's the one I got when I panicked one time 40 miles from home without a pump. I didn't have a puncture but you just know you'd get one if you didn't buy a pump when the opportunity arises...

(LBS in Barton under Needwood that does bike fits)

Best pump I own that's not a trackpump.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    as proven on sunday, those little lezyne mini pumps are v good.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • daniel_b
    PBo wrote:

Does it really though??? :lol:

I have also ordered a silver to compare and contrast.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • rubertoe
    Daniel B wrote:
    PBo wrote:

Really?

Why not just get black? is the colour of the pump really that important. Surely functionality is ALL that matters.

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I have a Blackburn AirStick which is rubbish but I only use CO2 - I've lent the pump to others far more times than I've used it! It fits into my tool "bottle" which is its big selling point
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    rubertoe wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    PBo wrote:

Really?

Why not just get black? is the colour of the pump really that important. Surely functionality is ALL that matters.

WHAT!?
  • daniel_b
    edited August 2014
    rubertoe wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    PBo wrote:

Really?

Alas I am a slave to colour coding RT :shock:
    A personal choice I am aware, but one I make willingly :-)
    It's the same money, so I feel I may as well get the item I am most happy with, and of course it is free, completely hassle free returns for me - as I have a collect plus store 2 minutes from home.
    The gold was one step too far though!! :evil:
    itboffin wrote:
    WHAT!?

What ITB said! :lol:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • rubertoe
    Help me out here.

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    rubertoe wrote:
    Help me out here.

I don't know who you are any more...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    rubertoe wrote:

Can the real rubertoe come back to the forum please
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • daniel_b
    rubertoe wrote:

Can the real rubertoe come back to the forum please

His account has been hacked??
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18