Foot and ankle pain - stiff carbon shoes to blame?

primalcarl
primalcarl Posts: 579
edited August 2014 in Training, fitness and health
In the last few weeks I've been experiencing a couple of problems with my feet despite absolutely no change in bike setup or equipment.

Firstly the underneath/outside of my ankle has been very tender. On my other foot I've been experiencing pain under the ball of my foot, almost like it's getting bruised.

Could my carbon-soled Northwave shoes be to blame? I'm also wondering people's thoughts on replacement insoles to provide extra cushioning?

Comments

• foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    edited July 2014
    Could be cleat positioning? If your fit is ok (feet to shoes and cleats to shoes) then extra padding should not be needed.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    May not be additional cushioning/padding which is needed but a shaped orthotic to hold your foot in a different position or at a different angle.

Probably best you see a physio or a podiatrist.
  • antonyfromoz
    antonyfromoz Posts: 482
    Could you have changed your pedal action due to soreness elsewhere? I sometimes get a pain along the outside of my feet and I have realised that it is usually when i am pushing downwards with my toes rather than concentrating on having a smooth pedal stroke. The other thing that sometimes makes my feet hurt is if I am angling my foot differently than usual ie heel further out than normal, which can happen if my knee is sore.
  • I think pain on ball of your foot might be called "hot foot". I had this as soon as I started using cleats with Mtb shoes. It felt like pins and needles and as if my balls (foot ones) were swollen. It has slowly got better and I would pull up on pedal stroke to keep pressure off, which seemed to make a bit of difference. Last week I put a longer stem on (for another reason) and on Sunday did about 70 miles. When I got back I didn't have any pain. Never thought about it till now. Maybe the different riding position made the difference.