Commonwealth Games Time Trial

Bullet1
Bullet1 Posts: 161
edited July 2014 in Pro race
Hi folks, I'm heading up to Glasgow on Thursday and managing to watch hopefully most of the Mens TT

Train arrives at Glasgow Central at 12.30 with a 15 min walk to the TT course post the start of the TT at 12.30 so will miss the first 15 minutes

I've search high and low for the rider start times but not managed to find anything - any ideas if/when this will be released? Also will the riders be 'seeded' at all or will the start times be drawn out of a hat? any ideas on the total number of riders? 1 or 2 minute intervals?

Finally anyone with local knowledge have any suggestions on where to watch it? Looking at the map, was thinking of the Moir Street / Gallowgate junction?

Many questions - thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    I dont think the riders have their own start times yet, at least that was the case a couple of days ago
  • bflk
    bflk Posts: 240
    I'll be out around Lumloch and Auchinloch. Some pros have already posted recces on Strava - James McLaughlin and Matt Osborn, plus Katrin Garfoot of Aus has knocked off some of Katie Archibald's QOMs on the course the other day.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550
    I'm champing at the bit to get the start order.

1st woman off at 10.01 then every minute there after. Looks to be 28 on the provisional list.

1st man off at 12.01 then every minute there after. 63 on provisional list.

Here's a wee bit about local riders taking athletes on course recces.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28558513
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Alan A wrote:
    Here's a wee bit about local riders taking athletes on course recces.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28558513
    That was posted on a Commonwealth Games thread on one of the other forums - thought I recognised the chap with the beard in the background!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Really surprised Wiggo has passed on this nailed on cert for a gold medal.

Leaves the contest open now at least. G must have a serious chance?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    edited July 2014
    It would appear to be between Durbridge, Sergeant, Dowsett, Thomas, Tuft and Millar. I can't see anyone else getting up there, not even Osborn from Guernsey.

Edit: and Dennis, didn't know he was riding
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • alan_a
    RichN95 wrote:
    It would appear to be between Durbridge, Sergeant, Dowsett, Thomas, Tuft and Millar. I can't see anyone else getting up there, not even Osborn from Guernsey.

Bumped into Osborn from Guernsey yesterday at the Mountain Biking. He was uber focused on his forthcoming events.

Either that or he didn't understand a word I was saying.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    14:16 Tuft
    14:17 Hepburn
    14:18 Thomas

14:21 Sargeant

14:24 Dennis
    14:25 Hutchinson
    14:26 Durbridge
    14:27 Dowsett
    14:28 Millar

http://results.glasgow2014.com/event/cy ... trial.html
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • alan_a
    Just putting all the rider biogs together for doing the starters announcemements.

That boy OzzyOsbourne has snaffled the strava KOM on the hardest section of the course. :-) Luke Rowe is his carrot.

http://app.strava.com/athletes/302554
  • bflk
    bflk Posts: 240
    Went around the course first thing, great down the closed sections in town. Wind not as unpleasant as that westerly yesterday. Can't wait!! :lol:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Can't see beyond Dowsett for this one. Is it the same course he won the Nationals on? Durbridge second and Thomas third would be my prediction. Rowe went well at the Nationals so could be a dark horse. Really surprised Wiggins isn't riding it - my conspiracy theory is Sky told him not to as him winning would generate media attention and open up the Tour omission debate again :wink:
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Daz555 wrote:
    Really surprised Wiggo has passed on this nailed on cert for a gold medal.

Leaves the contest open now at least. G must have a serious chance?

He seems to be focused on track for Rio. I know what you mean though, a good opportunity for a gold.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    For anyone outside the UK, you can get a legal live stream of this at http://filmon.com , BBC1 (might switch to BBC2 later).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    When I see the South African kit I keep thinking Evans cycles have slipped in a rogue rider.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    edited July 2014
    We could maybe do with a SPOILER in the title.

Women's result below in small type, white text.

Villumsen takes it from Pooley by 6 seconds. Garfoot 3rd.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Some sharp heavy showers around up here at the moment, wouldn't want to get one of those in the middle of my run...
  • Pross
    Out of interest, if Froome were to ride the Commonwealth Games now who would he represent?
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,561
    Pross wrote:
    Out of interest, if Froome were to ride the Commonwealth Games now who would he represent?

Well he has a British license right? So one of those countries?

Parental origins would suggest England (his father played hockey for England right?) but maybe Michelle would prefer him to ride for Wales...
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    England, as he did in 2010

Hands.jpg
  • Pross
    Cheers, didn't think he'd taken part since his Kenyan days.
  • Sjaak
    Sjaak Posts: 99
    I am not from a commonwealth and these games are new to me, so..

Why is Scotland only fielding one rider and, for instance, England two?

[[Why is there not a service vehicle with spare bikes?]]

Edit: scrapped the last bit
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Some brilliantly amateur stuff at the moment - one bloke with his jersey two thirds undone (it's raining!) and another holding one of his bar extensions on as it's come undone. Marvellous. :lol:
  • Sjaak
    Sjaak Posts: 99
    edited July 2014
    Some brilliantly amateur stuff at the moment - one bloke with his jersey two thirds undone (it's raining!) and another holding one of his bar extensions on as it's come undone. Marvellous. :lol:

I see what your saying, but to me it seems a very lopsided affair with the motherland showing the less wealthier nations how it's done..

Some of these guys are on borrowed bikes, some are put together from spare bits and others have parts that are borrowed for free from the local bikeshop Billy Bilsland Cycles..

The average rider from our local road club often will have better equipment!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729

Did you see early on the chap with the pedal problem, that was funny, it seemed the bloke with the allen key couldn't work out which way it did up as it was a left pedal. After a few minutes he got given a road bike to continue on and within a minute the cameras were back on him as it had different pedals and his cleats wouldn't fit.

All that travelling round the world just for that :)

...oh and another bloke riding with his extensions slammed right together with no gap at all, which could have been preference but he also had his base bar pointing 45 degrees downwards catching all the wind :)
  • RichN95.
    Sjaak wrote:
    I am not from a commonwealth and these games are new to me, so..

Why is Scotland only fielding one rider and, for instance, England two?
    You would have to ask those teams. They are both allowed three riders.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Sjaak wrote:

I see what your saying, but to me it seems a very lopsided affair with the motherland showing the less wealthier nations how it's done..

Some of these guys are on borrowed bikes, some are put together from spare bits and others have parts that are borrowed for free from the local bikeshop...

Absolutely, it's what the CWG is all about innit. More inclusive than the Olympics and gives opportunities at a more grass roots level. There was a really good feature on earlier about Rwandan cycling scene, showed where they come from and the roads they ride on back home. Tough blokes from a tough background.
  • Pross
    British Cycling coaches actually do bits of work in some developing countries. The coach who ran my recent course had done a lot of work out in Africa and used some of his videos from that time for us to analyse technique. These were people hoping for Commonwealth selection who were riding 30 year old steel frames with 36 spoke wheels and flat pedals. There was probably sufficient talent once they had some technique coached into them but what they were riding were pretty much the only road bikes of any description in the country and in some cases weren't even the right size. There must be some massive untapped potential in some of these countries.
  • RichN95.
    Sjaak wrote:

Some of these guys are on borrowed bikes, some are put together from spare bits and others have parts that are borrowed for free from the local bikeshop Billy Bilsland Cycles..

There are good bits in Froome's book about the general shambolic nature of riding for a third world nation.
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Pross wrote:
    British Cycling coaches actually do bits of work in some developing countries. The coach who ran my recent course had done a lot of work out in Africa and used some of his videos from that time for us to analyse technique. These were people hoping for Commonwealth selection who were riding 30 year old steel frames with 36 spoke wheels and flat pedals. There was probably sufficient talent once they had some technique coached into them but what they were riding were pretty much the only road bikes of any description in the country and in some cases weren't even the right size. There must be some massive untapped potential in some of these countries.

There was an interview a couple of months ago, maybe in Rouleur or on the Cycling Podcast, about Ethiopia (I think) - taking young athletes who wouldn't make the grade in distance running but still had excellent VO2 max and aerobic capacities and trying them out as cyclists. Most had never ridden a bike before so it's inevitably a long term process but the athletic potential certainly seems to be there.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Can someone point me to a site where there are text updates etc and splits? Stuck in work where it thinks I am in Germany so can't get iPlayer etc. Thanks
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon