Sunday 'best' bike, versus commuter - speed difference??

2»

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    add in a headwind like tonights and you could be on a boris bike for all its worth.

horrible

I need to dig out my contract i'm pretty sure there's a clause about 'suitable working environment' :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Mr Evil wrote:
    Daddy0 wrote:
    ...So results should be as scientific as I can get!
    If you want to be even more scientific, use the same tyres at the same pressure, wear the same clothes, and try to get into the same position on the bike.

Both bikes have Vitoria Rubino tyres, both pumped up to 110-120psi. I wore the same clothes, apart from the shoes - SPD vs SPD-SL. If anything I managed to get more of a TT position on the hybrid.

Hybrid time 25:56 = 23.1mph or 37.2kmph
    Road bike time 24:41 = 24.3mph or 39.1kmph

I was expecting more of a difference, something more like 3-5kmph and was hoping to be under 24mins. However, everyone I spoke to said that tonight was slower for them, so maybe conditions weren't as similar as I hoped they'd be. I also mistimed my warm up, so got to the start in a rush without taking on enough water or Haribo. I also rode 100km yesterday... If I can think of any more excuses I'll let you know :D
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Always used to have 2 bikes a best and foul weather. These have been alloys and carbons but all with with 23mm tyres and weight max about 18lb and lightest was 13lb.

Looking at ride history the bike made no difference at all as to my pace.

Now have one do it all bike.
  • Rykard
    Rykard Posts: 582
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Always used to have 2 bikes a best and foul weather. These have been alloys and carbons but all with with 23mm tyres and weight max about 18lb and lightest was 13lb.

Looking at ride history the bike made no difference at all as to my pace.

Now have one do it all bike.

what's the do it all bike?
    Cheers
    Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Is anybody else amazed at the difference being so small? and how little difference does it make getting a better road bike or spending £500 on new wheels or £80 on new tyres. Is it all between the ears?
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Is anybody else amazed at the difference being so small? and how little difference does it make getting a better road bike or spending £500 on new wheels or £80 on new tyres. Is it all between the ears?

Mostly I suppose it is. Like I said earlier, the actual improvement from my Equilibrium to my CR1 SL was minimal, but the perceived difference was enormous. My Equilibrium felt sluggish and heavy after riding the CR1. Personal perception is as good a reason to upgrade as any, I guess.
  • Rykard
    someone said way back when, you send hundreds on saving a few grams on the bike, whereas lose a couple of pounds off yourself would have a bigger benefit
    Cheers
    Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Rykard wrote:
    someone said way back when, you send hundreds on saving a few grams on the bike, whereas lose a couple of pounds off yourself would have a bigger benefit

But where's the fun in that? ;)
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Average speed is not the marker for nicer kit, there are other more tangible benefits to riding a better bike.

The grippier tyres, those hubs you like the noise of, those deep rims that sound like a star ship approaching, that crisper gear change, the extra confidence on the down, sharper handling etc. can all add up to a better experience.
  • Rykard
    Rykard wrote:

But where's the fun in that? ;)

I know lol, was expecting a big backlash..
    Cheers
    Rich