Kinesis 4S winter build

brearley
brearley Posts: 165
edited May 2015 in Your road bikes
This is my first new build in a long while.

at the moment it looks like this.
34a38bd0-b93b-42b1-9526-c0b57486c50a.jpg

Build will be:
Kinesis 4S frameset.
sram force groupset
Tektro f539 Brakeset
Fulcrum Racing 1 wheels
Classic bend bars
Itm Millennium 4eva stem
Bontrager xxx lite seatpost, logos removed
Possibly a Quark chainset
SKS chromoplastic guards.

running Veloflex master 25s at the moment however I'll be looking for something more robust when the time comes for it.

Comments

• holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Will be nice. Look forward to seeing the complete build.
  • Wheels are a bit good for a winter bike!
  • brearley
    Unfortunately the wheels are just about on their last legs and I will need a new set for training next season.
    I'll use these until they inevitably die then purchase something like the Shimano RS11 wheels or some handbuilts but as I'm on a relatively strict budget these will do for now.
  • Will watch this with interest as I am seriously considering building a 4s for next winter, although I will probably wait and see if Kinesis bring out a disc version - has to be on the cards I reckon.
  • brearley
    I think the Tripster range is worth a look if you're wanting discs or possibly their crosslight line.
    I wouldn't hesitate to order one again. The order took 1 day to arrive. The build quality is probably the best I've ever seen.
    Everything is aligned well and looks awesome.
    The picture really doesn't do it justice as the black paint has a slight sparkle to it.
    Next time I am back home I should have everything for the build apart from shifters and chainset.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    You may want to pm me for some carbon Rival brand new shifters - used for 3 miles. They will look freakin' smart on that.

May be available over the next few days if I get myself sorted.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • The tripster does look great but I really want something more road oriented geometry which can take 28mm tyres with guards. I am thinking a 4s with the new 11speed 105 hydraulic disc groupset would be a perfect winter bike. With so many manufacturers coming out with road disc frames for 2015 I reckon Kinesis are bound to be working on it. Prefer the aesthetics without discs, and I am not convinced about discs on a light summer bike, but for a winter/commuter bike they do make a lot of sense.
  • brearley
    Thanks for the offer on the rival shifters.
    I'm going 11 speed for this build though just to cut additional costs.
    I have 3 sets of wheels all with 11 speed cassettes on currently and a couple of spare chains.
    I've now thrown a massive spanner in my own works looking at campag Athena prices. Athena is comparable in price to Rival but me being someone who likes to try every scenario I think I'll still go for Sram Force mechs and Rival 11 speed shifters now.
  • brearley
    haha cheers.
    Guards will go on from November until February/March.
    This is a dedicated training bike so has fitments for full guards, panniers etc.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Nowt wrong with panniers like that on a Blade - mental high speed riding somewhere, take them off when you get there, more mental high speed riding, put them back home and then mental high speed back.

Or shall we wear a big uncomfortable rucksack that means you can't move around the bike properly or move your head around and will give you spinal injuries if you stuff it.... Ridden many big high speed bikes many miles before?

The Lamborghini is funny - essentially the same principle as the 'Blade. And if you have enough money to do it, then you probably don't care.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I built one of these up recently and it's awesome. Great training bike.

10518271_278472965669866_717241714_n.jpg
  • I love the frame and the way you're going to build it sound awesome, but please, PLEASE don't put mudguards on it! That's like putting a roofbox on a Lambo, or putting a set of panniers on a Honda Fireblade. [/img]

The 4S is designed from the ground up as a lively year round training bike to accept full length mudguards with up to 28mm tyres - it is kinda the whole point of the bike :? . I do a 31 mile round commute all year in all weathers and doing that without mudguards in the winter would be plain daft. A grubby skunk stripe up yer ass is not cool or comfortable :)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Yup, I have the forerunner of the 4S, a Racelight Tk with 25mm tyres and proper Chromoplastics which I ride all year round in the wet. On dry days I have a carbon bike with no provision for guards. Horses for courses, as the French caterers say.
  • powenb
    powenb Posts: 296
    I have an older Kinesis Tk2. For what it's designed for, it is an absolutely cracking bike.
    I would like to do a frame swap for the 4S just so it's got the more modern graphics on.
    Good choice there! Oh and mine has mudguards on all year round.
  • brearley
    I'll be updating the build when I get home next week.
    My plan is to run this bike as a true winter bike so 25mm tyres + mudguards throughout winter.
    When the weather gets better I then plan to use this as a Sunday type bike with 28mm tyres on it without mudguards for club runs and things like that.
    Still weighing up which chainset to get. I'd like a Power 2 max chainset but not sure which one but I also fancy a Rotor 3D aero if I could find one cheap enough. If all else fails I'll just get a sram force chainset.
  • brearley
    Sort of a finished build picture.
    For winter I'll be putting some continental gator skins or similar on plus mudguards. I also have a stronglight ct2 inner ring to go on.
    Looking forward to getting some miles in.
    IMAG0222.jpg
  • That'll do nicely...good work
  • Nodey
    Nodey Posts: 63
    Hi, looks the nuts! Not seen one built with sram an I'm liking it.

BTW, what brake calipers are you running?
  • d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    brearley wrote:
    For winter I'll be putting some continental gator skins or similar on plus mudguards.

Schwalbe Durano or Durano Plus - personally I go for the latter on winter roads. Much more sure footed & cut resistant than the Gatorskins in my experience.

Sweet bike, really want one eventually. I have a TK2 at the mo and it is fantastic.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Looks great nice work
  • sopworth
    sopworth Posts: 191
    Just bought myself the same frame (I. Silver/orange) to build up this next week. What size did you go for? I'm 6ft and hoofed for a 57cm. Didn't have a bike with guards on at all last winter so looking forward to getting some on this and attending a few club runs!
    Will stick some pics up when complete.
  • brearley
    Mines a 54 at 5 9 so you're should be perfect.
    13cm stem on mine.,

Still looking at tyres. Currently on veloflex masters which are lively but not really cut out for winter.
    Michelins are too prone to large cuts I've found.
  • brearley
    finished... sort of. Front mech outer cable has frayed so I'm going to have to change that but here it is.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... a-5-42793/
    61b57a64-2f82-4983-b92f-df85e58d6e57.jpg
    IMAG0226.jpg
    IMAG0228.jpg
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    brearley wrote:
    Thanks for the offer on the rival shifters.
    I'm going 11 speed for this build though just to cut additional costs.
    I have 3 sets of wheels all with 11 speed cassettes on currently and a couple of spare chains.
    I've now thrown a massive spanner in my own works looking at campag Athena prices. Athena is comparable in price to Rival but me being someone who likes to try every scenario I think I'll still go for Sram Force mechs and Rival 11 speed shifters now.
    Nice
    Where's good for Athena?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Nodey
    Hi, how do you find the tektro brakes with the sram levers? Are the pads standard?

I ask as I have a tk3 with shimano br650s/with swiss stop green pads and ultegra 6700 levers and the performance to pants. Need to plan braking a week in advance and in the wet you can forget it.

Cheers.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That's odd. I have a Tk with 105 levers (5600) and Shimano BR450 calipers with the all-in one brake blocks a la Tiagra, and they are fine even in the wet. I can still lock up the wheels when braking from the hoods if I overdo it.
  • Nodey
    Hi Keef66

I used to have the ultegra equivalent of the 5600 105 and I recon they had more pull than the 6700.

The current set up is so bad I have been thinking of getting rid of the TK3 as the long drops are so bad.

Did some research before buying and were supposed to be quite well rated?
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Nice one.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    edited January 2015
    I think the BR451 brakes have a different pull ratio to the 650's. I believe there is a chart somewhere on the shimano site that shows suitability and the 451's are designed for the 5700/6700 level and later. IIRC :?
    I have the 451's with 5700 levers and swisstop pads. They will lock up if you pull hard but generally much better in the drops than the hoods! Edit: 650's ae on the compat list for 5800, 451's for 4600.