crotch abrasion very sore!!

steve9uk
steve9uk Posts: 126
edited July 2014 in MTB general
Bit of a strange topic this one. Every year I do the c2c bike ride (Whitehaven to Tynemouth) and every year my nether region becomes sore. Where what I think is the seam of my boxer shorts rubbing against my skin. As you know getting out of and into the saddle becomes eye watering moment with pain. I'm looking at cycling underwear or seamless boxer shorts to wear under my baggy cycling shorts? Can any of you guys recommend what to wear under my baggys as its starting to ruin my long rides. Many thanks..Steve

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    edited July 2014
    Padded under-shorts and chamois cream. And no, you don't wear your boxers with them. I wear padded shorts on every ride under my baggies because, as you say, chafed nether regions aren't nice!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Padded under shorts will sort your problem. Boxer shorts are terrible for cycling.
  • steve9uk
    ilovedirt can you tell me if that would be cycling underwear your on about? Thanks steve
  • ilovedirt
    I guess so, whatever you want to call them, I have endura 6-panel liner shorts.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • steve9uk
    and you get to abrasion or pain? if not ill give them a try. Many thanks for your advice. Regards Steve
  • ilovedirt
    Depends, I started getting chafing with them so I use chamois cream as well - well worth investing in, especially over long distances. Keeps your nethers nice and slippery ;)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • steve9uk
    Yes I use the assos chamois cream but to be honest I think the damage had all ready been done with me wearing boxers and the seams causing skin rawness :-( Thanks ilovedirt ill certainly have a look at the shorts you use. Thanks again
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Boxers are the very worst thing to wear, even Y-fronts would be better! Though I do wear them on my daily commute which is just 6.7miles each way.

Padded cycling shorts.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • steve9uk
    Yeah rookie I do wear boxers on my daily commute with no problems. Its the long runouts that I get the problems with. To be honest its my own fault wearing boxers on long rides. i'll try the the panel liner shorts ilovedirt was talking about and see what happens. Cheers rookie
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Assos do some skin repair lotion too designed for when you've been an idiot and your gooch is in tatters!
  • steve9uk
    thanks njee20 ill look that up
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you want to experience real pain do long distance riding with boxers under padded shorts in hot weather. It is very painful, I did it once by mistake and it took me a while to work out why I was getting ripped to shreds.

Without boxers etc. on underneath I can go for hours in just padded shorts, not needed any cream so far but would use it if needed to.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    njee20 wrote:
    Assos do some skin repair lotion too designed for when you've been an idiot and your gooch is in tatters!

Sudocrem is probably alot cheaper. And better.
  • njee20
    Peat wrote:
    njee20 wrote:

Sudocrem is probably alot cheaper. And better.

Cheaper definitely, but I'd suggest it's not going to be better.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    These are my favourite shorts. They dont last very long about a year before the gel pad starts to get a bit out of shape but lovely and comfy when new. Altura Progel Undershorts

I have tried several Chamois creams and come to the conclusion Boots Aqueous is as good as any and about a 1/4 of the price. Boots Aqueous Cream
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • njee20
    edited July 2014
    stubs wrote:
    These are my favourite shorts. They dont last very long about a year before the gel pad starts to get a bit out of shape but lovely and comfy when new. Altura Progel Undershorts

What a massive false economy then!

I've got a 6 year old pair of these that are still in good condition, and two pairs of these nearer 10 years old.

Edit: to be clear, I'm inferring these are far better quality, as well as being better value.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    My experience with Altura stuff is it's rubbish quality and doesn't last very long.

It's expensive too - just 'cos it's cycle specific they charge a premium - I don't buy anything Altura anymore.
  • njee20
    I've always thought of it as budget kit :oops:

The only thing that I've ever been mildly impressed with was a compression base layer they did, only thing I've ever bought, and it's very good I must say. Used to have a lot of jackets returned with burst seams and what not.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    njee20 wrote:
    stubs wrote:

What a massive false economy then!

I've got a 6 year old pair of these that are still in good condition, and two pairs of these nearer 10 years old.

He made no comment on the value, just the comfort.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • njee20
    And I'm inferring that a better pair of shorts will be vastly more comfortable, as well as better value.
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Once you go commando you'll never go back. Trust me its amazing. I now do it in all aspects of life.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    i always wear some endura padded liner pants i got with my hummvee shorts and they are great never any soreness.

never done it myself but dont some cyclists doing long miles also get the area waxed too ?
  • njee20
    never done it myself but dont some cyclists doing long miles also get the area waxed too ?

Some might, under the auspices of 'long distance riding', that's an excuse, not normal behaviour.
  • Angus Young
    njee20 wrote:
    And I'm inferring that a better pair of shorts will be vastly more comfortable, as well as better value.

Would have helped if you'd have included that in your post, then.
  • Chunkers1980
    Was pretty obvious.
  • njee20
    I thought so, thanks Chunkers. Sorry Angus, edited it just for you.
  • Angus Young
    Was pretty obvious.

No, not even remotely obvious. The only thing that was obvious is that njee20 considers shorts that last 6-10 years better value in the long run than cheaper shorts that last only one year. A perfectly valid point, but an unrelated response to the post he was responding to.
  • Chunkers1980
    He did. He said 'lovely and comfy when new'. Implying that they were no longer comfy. Making a false economy as if they only last for a year of comfort and then now you need to buy a new pair for them to be comfy meaning that it is a false economy as you need to keep buying to maintain their comfort. Buy more expensive ones (or different) and you can have comfort for years rather than one.
  • Angus Young
    He did. He said 'lovely and comfy when new'. Implying that they were no longer comfy. Making a false economy as if they only last for a year of comfort and then now you need to buy a new pair for them to be comfy meaning that it is a false economy as you need to keep buying to maintain their comfort. Buy more expensive ones (or different) and you can have comfort for years rather than one.

But that only works if he'd have said he was buying on price.

Never mind, doesn't matter.
  • Angus Young
    Back on track, perhaps you're just wearing the wrong bundies. I wear these and no mater how long I'm in the saddle I never get a chaffed chuff...

http://www.marksandspencer.com/2-pack-m ... /p22315522