Recovery

Serious Cat
Serious Cat Posts: 489
Id appreciate some advice concerning recovery. If Im out an say a 75 miles run with the cycling club I would normally take the next day as a rest day to allow some recovery for my muscles. Sometimes Id head out on a hard run the day after a club outing and when pushing up hills its obvious my muscles haven't fully recovered. Ive no interest in racing , time trialling and I don't take supplements or that those kind of products. Is there anything I can purchase from the supermarket shelves that once consumed will help with the recovery processes or any other kind of advice you could give me ?

Thanks.
This serious internet site..............I serious cat

Comments

• sirmol
    sirmol Posts: 287
    Ice bath?
    When i was training for the marathon I would have a cold water bath with those freeze box things (the things you put in a cool bag with your food). I would stay in there for as long as possible then have a warm bath afterwards. This really helped with the aching the day after - also allowed me to go on a lighter run. I don't think you will buy anything though that will alleviate the ache you will feel when riding another hill the day after - It will just ease over months of practice i would guess. :)
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    Protein shake when you come in from the club ride. Foam roller in the evening.
  • Serious Cat
    Serious Cat Posts: 489
    dilatory wrote:

Ive got a foam roller and use it regularly alongside stretching regime, when you say protein shake, can you suggest a product for me please.
    This serious internet site..............I serious cat
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    There are already two other protein threads on this page - might be worth having a read of those...
  • dilatory
    dilatory wrote:

Ive got a foam roller and use it regularly alongside stretching regime, when you say protein shake, can you suggest a product for me please.

They're all much of a muchness in my experience. Find a brand that suits your wallet, tastebuds and stomach. If it's just once a week you're thinking about you can get away with buying the read made types, For Goodness Shakes etc. Supermarkets sell them and often have one of the varieties on offer.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Id appreciate some advice concerning recovery. If Im out an say a 75 miles run with the cycling club I would normally take the next day as a rest day to allow some recovery for my muscles. Sometimes Id head out on a hard run the day after a club outing and when pushing up hills its obvious my muscles haven't fully recovered. Ive no interest in racing , time trialling and I don't take supplements or that those kind of products. Is there anything I can purchase from the supermarket shelves that once consumed will help with the recovery processes or any other kind of advice you could give me ?

Thanks.

Dont feed Maximuscle's profits.
    Dont overthink recovery as you cycle for pleasure/leisure and not for competition.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    dilatory wrote:
    dilatory wrote:

They're all much of a muchness in my experience. Find a brand that suits your wallet, tastebuds and stomach. If it's just once a week you're thinking about you can get away with buying the read made types, For Goodness Shakes etc. Supermarkets sell them and often have one of the varieties on offer.

I used to get leg ache the day after longer rides. Now I drink a goodness shakes chocolate milkshake after a long ride, I have no problems at all. If you keep an eye out the are regularly on special offer so stock up then. Any similar drink would do the same but I prefer the taste of those ones ;)
  • Remarkable
    Remarkable Posts: 187
    A bowl of cereal can work just as well as the recovery products that cost a fortune and cereals generally taste much better...
    Recovery drinks have their place though, like after events when getting access to food is difficult straight away.

Also, make sure to eat within 30 mins after you stop.

There's no point in telling you to use this technique or that because we are all different. Google has endless articles on the subject, so just experiment and find what works for you.

I'd recommend leaving the ice baths to the pro's though. :)
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    Remarkable wrote:
    A bowl of cereal can work just as well as the recovery products that cost a fortune and cereals generally taste much better...
    Recovery drinks have their place though, like after events when getting access to food is difficult straight away.

Only really required if you're planning to ride/train again within 24 hours. That is plenty of time for the body to replenish its glycogen via normal eating.

Obviously if you're starving hungry then have something to eat, but for most of us that rigid 30 minute window isn't really an issue.
  • dilatory
    phreak wrote:
    Remarkable wrote:

Only really required if you're planning to ride/train again within 24 hours. That is plenty of time for the body to replenish its glycogen via normal eating.

Obviously if you're starving hungry then have something to eat, but for most of us that rigid 30 minute window isn't really an issue.

Well that's exactly what OP is asking in his first post. He has a long ride on a Sunday and aches on the Monday ride...
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    dilatory wrote:
    Well that's exactly what OP is asking in his first post. He has a long ride on a Sunday and aches on the Monday ride...
    A case of not enough saddle time not protein time.
  • dilatory
    Dunno, I personally find it useful. I have been averaging 250 miles a week over the last couple of months and I find if after a big effort (70 - 100 miles fast and rolling or into the mountains) a quick protein shake makes an impact on how I feel the next morning. I wouldn't bother on a normal ride (30 - 50 miles) a glass of milk does just fine.

Everybody is different and it's worth approaching it all with an open mind.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Low-fat chocolate milk is a good mix of protein and carbs for after exercise recovery. Then get washed and have a regular good meal, and plenty of sleep.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    JGSI wrote:
    A case of not enough saddle time not protein time.

Nailed it.

If you previous ride was that hard on you, you need to attain a level where it isnt. Nothing you ingest is going to get rid of that leggy feeling if you have had a hard ride the day before.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread