The 2014 Tour shall henceforth be known as the Tour de Zzzz

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Peraud is my favourite current rider now that David Millar is practically already retired so I have found the whole race gripping. He'd have got away with it too if it only weren't for that pesky nibali.
  • Downward
    Downward Posts: 179
    The 1st 2 stages were great.

However the battle in the mountains for Yellow wasn't as good as last year, Infact just imagine if Bertie, Froome and Quintara and Nibali were actually racing for the yellow.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    I have enjoyed every Tour I have seen, and this one was no exception. The first two stages were unexpectedly, for the riders as well I think, tough and exciting. There were big gaps at the finish of stage two and for what many thought would be a nice day out, before the serious stuff started in France, It was a real eye opener.

The battle for a podium place was exciting, right up to the last day. Nibali rode well and as with all winners his victory is due to his hard work. Could have, should have, would have has nothing to do with it.

Dissapointments? Sagan, unless he wins today, he will not be a happy green jersey winner. Contador, Froome and Cavendish crashing out, but made up for by the emergence of the French. Hoorah. :D
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    It's been a glorious festival of humanity. A small victory for the people vs the machines: Artisans over Adders. Rejoice :!:

To provide such compelling sport with 3/4 of the top tier missing was a minor miracle. First team to resurrect the mountain train gets it.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    edited July 2014
    Off the top of my head and excluding 87 and 89 in your timeframe of reference, the decent tours were:

1990: Lemond chipping away at Chiapucci and catching the little sheet with two stages to go
    1998: The seemingly impregnable Ulrich rinsed by Pantani over Les Deux Alpes (yes I know)
    2003: Ulrich gives Armstrong a proper scare. Other riders step up. Insane solo win for a collarbone snapped Hamilton
    2006: Perreiro does a Chiapucci. Floyd's jaw dropping effort. Floydfan lights up this board
    2007: Contador and the Chicken slugging it out in the Alps (again I know)
    2008: Sastre and Evans bring it to the last TT - maybe even a clean winner?
    2011: Evans vs. the Schlecks with an amazing TV cameo in yellow

Yes the battle for the MJ was a snooze fest, but I think people expect too much from the Tour. The Paris Roubaix-like stage was a thing of beauty.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    ^^ Fair.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    smithy21 wrote:
    I love the gentle patronising in this thread. Maybe if you didn't like it you should look elsewhere. Jesus Christ- what sort of attitude is that.

People commenting on a cycling forum are probably here because they like cycling. They can have a different opinion on a race. It's their opinion- it doesn't mean they are wrong.

+1
    :D
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    What I liked most has been the lack of dominating teams... kind of US Postal or Sky style, that dictate the race every single day. Astana was not very strong, Saxo didn't have a leader and Movistar didn't have a strong enough leader... as far as teams go, it was a very balanced Tour... I hate those processions up the mountains.

BTW: had Froome been in the race, don't you find Sky was the pale shadow of past years' team? Marginal decrements?
    left the forum March 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    BTW: had Froome been in the race, don't you find Sky was the pale shadow of past years' team? Marginal decrements?
    They looked more or less the same as last year (Porte worse, Thomas better). Hard to tell without putting them to the test. I think people saw Sky throughout 2012 using their catenaccio tactics for Wiggins and expected them to ride like that all the time. And when they don't, set a faster pace earlier and drop away sooner, people think they are weaker rather than different.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    RichN95 wrote:
    They looked more or less the same as last year (Porte worse, Thomas better). Hard to tell without putting them to the test. I think people saw Sky throughout 2012 using their catenaccio tactics for Wiggins and expected them to ride like that all the time. And when they don't, set a faster pace earlier and drop away sooner, people think they are weaker rather than different.

I am however surprised at the total lack of any kind of noteworthy result, considering they lost their star in stage 5 and there was plenty of time to rethink the all Tour approach... they probably are a team of domestiques with one star.
    I had a look at Thomas results over the past few years and there is nothing that makes him stand out... a solid rider who can stay with the best in many races... but that's all. He is 28... time to get the wins in, if he has them in himself
    left the forum March 2023
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

I am however surprised at the total lack of any kind of noteworthy result, considering they lost their star in stage 5 and there was plenty of time to rethink the all Tour approach... they probably are a team of domestiques with one star.
    I had a look at Thomas results over the past few years and there is nothing that makes him stand out... a solid rider who can stay with the best in many races... but that's all. He is 28... time to get the wins in, if he has them in himself

This is what they say they're now recruiting for - ie, people who can win races. They've got a very strong team but few habitual winners. Ultimately, if Froome hasn't crashed they probably would've been an excellent team for his requirements.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mike6
    iainf72 wrote:

This is what they say they're now recruiting for - ie, people who can win races. They've got a very strong team but few habitual winners. Ultimately, if Froome hasn't crashed they probably would've been an excellent team for his requirements.

I thought we already had a "The future for Sky" thread, I thought this was about this Tour being a snooze fest. LOL. Why does every thread have to develop into another Sky chat, frankly I am sick of hearig about them, there were lots of other teams in the race, what about them?????
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    If people keep commenting on Sky presumably it's because that's what they want to discuss. If you want to discuss other teams why don't you rather than repeatedly telling everyone else that they shouldn't talk about Sky ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mike6
    Macaloon wrote:
    It's been a glorious festival of humanity. A small victory for the people vs the machines: Artisans over Adders. Rejoice :!:

To provide such compelling sport with 3/4 of the top tier missing was a minor miracle. First team to resurrect the mountain train gets it.

Pardon???
  • mike6
    If people keep commenting on Sky presumably it's because that's what they want to discuss. If you want to discuss other teams why don't you rather than repeatedly telling everyone else that they shouldn't talk about Sky ?

Didnt say people shouldnt talk about Sky, I said there was a thread already discussing the future of Sky, why not post the comments regarding there future on there? perhaps thats a bit obtuse for you?
  • DeVlaeminck
    RichN95 wrote:

I'm not sure I'd agree with you there Rich. If the full squad was fit and motivated they'd have a strong team but without Henao, Wiggins and a struggling Porte with the non-selection of Kennaugh and Sivtsov they aren't what they were. Look at what Wiggins could call on - Froome, Porte, Rogers, Knees, Sivtsov, Boasson Hagen, Eisel and Cav. That's a stronger support line up than Froome has had. Maybe they haven't been weaker than 2013 but they weren't the strongest there either.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    mike6 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

Pardon???

Brains over brawn. Guile over style. Class over brass. HTH x
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • mike6 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

Pardon???

Those rumours about Spartacus' motorised bike don't die....
  • mike6
    Macaloon wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

Pardon???

Brains over brawn. Guile over style. Class over brass. HTH x

I still have no Idea what you are talking about but never mind.
  • DeVlaeminck
    mike6 wrote:

Didnt say people shouldnt talk about Sky, I said there was a thread already discussing the future of Sky, why not post the comments regarding there future on there? perhaps thats a bit obtuse for you?

Strange use of the word "obtuse" but still don't suppose this is the thread to discuss that.
  • RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    Really good Tour in my view. But then, I like stuff other than GC battle. French resurgence and hunting down of valv.piti especially good.

I still reckon the Giro is better than the Tour for roadside watching. The podium in Paris is just horrible (today was 1st time I've seen it in years as I'm usually in Paris and they don't want dans to see it!)
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Overjoyed by Nibali winning and excellent performances by French riders. Here's hoping the Belgians can come up with an overall contender soon.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    mm1 wrote:
    Overjoyed by Nibali winning and excellent performances by French riders. Here's hoping the Belgians can come up with an overall contender soon.
    + 1 to this. Nibali took his win very well, and I thought was a gracious leader (whilst putting the rest to the sword).
    And as it is the French GT, it is always good to see the local boys do well. It bodes well for the future of French cycling to see them finally getting into the mix.

Who knows - maybe the Germans get a resurgence of enthusiasm for le Tour?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Viz also isn't as funny as it used to be.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    mm1 wrote:
    + 1 to this. Nibali took his win very well, and I thought was a gracious leader (whilst putting the rest to the sword).
    And as it is the French GT, it is always good to see the local boys do well. It bodes well for the future of French cycling to see them finally getting into the mix.

Who knows - maybe the Germans get a resurgence of enthusiasm for le Tour?

Funny you should mention this - my German wife says she's noticed a little more reporting about it this year in the German media, so perhaps it is regaining a little lost ground?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Funny you should mention this - my German wife says she's noticed a little more reporting about it this year in the German media, so perhaps it is regaining a little lost ground?

It's going to be back on German terrestrial TV next year. And there were a few articles in the big German papers basically saying they think it's safe the believe now.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I think I've said in the past (maybe just in my head though) that the most important and powerful cyclist is Marcel Kittel as he is the way back to the German economy. (It's a shame Konig's not German - I frequently think is).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    RichN95 wrote:
    I think I've said in the past (maybe just in my head though) that the most important and powerful cyclist is Marcel Kittel as he is the way back to the German economy. (It's a shame Konig's not German - I frequently think is).

It was an interview with Kittel on one of their main sports programmes that prompted her comment, so there may well be some truth in the proposition.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Best tour I've watched in quite a while. If only for the interview with Kittel on how he does his hair. What other sport offers insight like that? :wink:
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    As ever, [Kleber] inrng summed it up perfectly.
    inrng wrote:
    A fine edition with action from start to finish. Some of it was the wrong kind with crashes providing instant drama at the expense of more complex plotlines in the sprints and mountains although how the orphaned teams responded is a story in itself.