Garmin or me - who's the idiot?

Adrian Waine
Adrian Waine Posts: 284
Any help gratefully received on this.
I know my way around Garmin Connect "Classic View" well enough to do what I want, which is really only to upload ride data for my info and to share it with my sons. I press the "Upload" button. Simples.
How the heck do I do it in modern view?
I tried the "Tour" - useless. At the mo, I'm switching back to Classic View, but I can't see that being around for long - it works!
Please help! Frustration levels are building rapidly.
Adrian W.

Comments

• Adrian Waine
    OK, I'm the idiot. I have to launch Garmin Express.
    Could be missing something here, but isn't this stuff supposed to get EASIER?
    Adrian W.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Not according to the software engineers at garmin...
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Not according to the software monkeys at garmin...

FTFY :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Actually the express program is better in that it runs in the background and quietly syncs without needing to do a thing - handy if you also upload to strava.
    But yes - they could've explained that a bit more clearly .... And I don't really want more software sat there taking up memory .....
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    Slowbike wrote:
    Actually the express program is better in that it runs in the background and quietly syncs without needing to do a thing - handy if you also upload to strava.
    But yes - they could've explained that a bit more clearly .... And I don't really want more software sat there taking up memory .....

Definately a good feature.

You can also configure your Connect account to automatically push rides to Training Peaks.

If they were to extend this feature to Strava then I'd be very happy as I would never have to connect my 1000 to a PC as I could wirelessly upload to Connect and then have Connect push activities to both T.P. and Strava. I can't see this happening as Segments is in competition (in the loosest term) with Strava.
  • timdb
    timdb Posts: 25
    BrandonA wrote:
    If they were to extend this feature to Strava then I'd be very happy as I would never have to connect my 1000 to a PC as I could wirelessly upload to Connect and then have Connect push activities to both T.P. and Strava.

http://www.tapiriik.com can do this for you now, BTW. I don't connect my 810 to the Mac at all anymore - rides upload to Connect via bluetooth and phone, then tapiriik does the rest. 8)
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    timdb wrote:
    I don't connect my 810 to the Mac at all anymore

Still need to plug the thing into something to charge it which, for me, defeats most of the benefits of this feature - especially when I had the 1000 which had such poor battery life that you needed to charge it pretty much after every ride. I suppose there may be more convenient ways to charge the thing than via the computer USB but it's not a feature that I can get excited about. It didn't help that "Sync Failed" messages were also very common.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • timdb
    timdb Posts: 25
    It didn't help that "Sync Failed" messages were also very common.
    Agreed. FWIW, the latest Garmin Connect app (on the iPhone at least) seems to be a lot more reliable than the last. Although for me it meant deleting and renaming all the bluetooth pairing gubbins, which wasn't great.. :roll:
    Think I've only had one failed upload since that update, and even then it went up at the second ask - unlike before where it would persistently refuse to play nicely. :evil:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Garmin Express just disappeared from the laptop at the weekend. Went to download it again and it said it was already installed, then set about updating itself. Now it's back and seems to be working; I have it set to run only when I connect the Garmin - too much other stuff already running in the background.

I too prefer the classic view in Connect. I just find the new version not very intuitive; might be my advanced years
  • Adrian Waine
    We old gits have to stick together!
    Adrian W.