Starting out

mrdeano45
mrdeano45 Posts: 29
Hi all. Just starting out in road biking, fitness not great, so how far should I start aiming for. And would a heart rate monitor be a worthy investment, any thoughts or advice would be really great...
Thanx

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    HR monitor would probably be a distraction if you are just starting riding. Without knowing more about your state of health and fitness it's difficult to suggest what you should do, but in the absence of any other info, just try riding out in one directio for 20/30mins and then return. Regularity is the key - ride and repeat.
  • mrdeano45
    Thanx for your advice. I,m 47 ave been riding mtb on and off, wanna do this to give up smoking well I,m hoping to just show me why I should,nt? Plan is would love to try sum sportifs when fit enough.
  • poynedexter
    poynedexter Posts: 283
    just starting out, get used to riding for longer periods. you will need time to become accustomed to being on a bike for 2 hrs+. you will be sore, stiff and even mentally tired from just being out there. it takes time. dont look at av speed, strava etc, just enjoy this bit. its all money and marketing BS which is ahead of you.

you wont need a HR strap, gels,or electrolyte drinks, garmin, strava or carbon rims.

top tip: research a local club!
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Cycling as often as possible, not worrying about distance or speed is a good goal for the first year.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    But on the flip side, if you do have a Garmin or use Strava you will have a way of seeing your progression and this can serve as a good motivator. But as mentioned above, ride as much as possible. You'll probably have time for a couple of shorter spins in the week and a little more time at the weekend. But essentially for your longer ride just increase the distance gradually, and pay attention to what you drink and eat. Enjoy it, embrace the pain, and don't avoid the hills.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    +1 for build up your time in the bike before you do anything else. You dont need intensity to get faster at the start.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • mrdeano45
    Well I must be up for it cause I pick up my new set of wheels tomorrow. I ordered a new trek emonda s6. Can't wait had I bike fit done as well over the weekend. So just waiting now. Many thanx for all your advice :-)