Stem spacers v frame size

ajoten
ajoten Posts: 321
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
I have 7x 5mm spacers on my steerer tube. Does this indicate my frame is too small, or is it just an acceptable comfort tweak? The stem is more or less level with my saddle (I have short legs and find this the most comfortable).
Андрю
Alu is real.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Impossible to offer any useful guidance on this without seeing a pic - or at least providing some more info...
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Imposter wrote:
    Impossible to offer any useful guidance on this without seeing a pic - or at least providing some more info...

I've got this piece of string, can you tell me if it's long enough :P

It is hard to say but without any more info it does sound like quite a lot of spacers to me although from the description of the saddle almost being at this height too it doesn't sound like it's too small, especially if you are short in the leg.

At the end of the day if it's comfortable for you who cares what me or anyone else tells you really :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • ajoten
    Imposter wrote:

Not really - the fact you gave this answer tells me it's not necessarily indicative of a small frame.

AND yes it's comfy, so that's fine, but when one is buying a new bike it's handy to have a realistic idea of "correct" frame size.
    Андрю
    Alu is real.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I can offer an additional thought - frame manufacturers often specify the max stem height above the headset (spacer stack below the stem, in other words). This is to reduce the forces on the steerer from the stem, I guess. That might determine whether what you have is too much, hence a larger frame or a different frame with taller headtube would be better.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Sometimes it's unavoidable though. If you have little legs, then you may not be able to get the correct low saddle height on a larger frame.

A frame with a sloping top tube and a taller head tube might be an option.

But in reality, if the bike you have fits and is comfortable, as long as you are within manufacturers limits on heights above head tube (which I doubt you aren't) then you're fine. Doesn't matter what the "slam your stem" brigade think. Bike's are sold with spacers for exactly this reason.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • ajoten
    Hmm... I just read that a recommended angle for your back to be at for "endurance" (ho ho) riding is c. 45 degs. I guess one just tries to find the biggest frame that enables you to achieve that (with arms c. 90 deg to torso).
    Андрю
    Alu is real.
  • ajoten
    Hmm... I just read that a recommended angle for your back to be at for "endurance" (ho ho) riding is c. 45 degs. I guess one just tries to find the biggest frame that enables you to achieve that (with arms c. 90 deg to torso).
    Андрю
    Alu is real.
  • imposter2.0
    ajoten wrote:

Lots of things affect the angle of your back while riding - and most of them are infinitely variable. So I wouldn't pay too much attention to that, tbh..
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    ajoten wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Not really - the fact you gave this answer tells me it's not necessarily indicative of a small frame.

Sounds like you've got some growing up to do.
  • ajoten
    Let's assume that's not a deliberate insult.

How about I rephrase the original question: how can one tell one's frame is definitely too small?
    Андрю
    Alu is real.
  • arran77
    ajoten wrote:
    How about I rephrase the original question: how can one tell one's frame is definitely too small?

Post a picture of you on it?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • ajoten
    Ooo - so the only way you can tell a frame is small is for a 3rd party to tell you so?

[When I first wrote that it was supposed to be a smart @rse comment, but I have rethought that and actually think it might be a legit question.]
    Андрю
    Alu is real.
  • arran77
    ajoten wrote:
    Ooo - so the only way you can tell a frame is small is for a 3rd party to tell you so?

[When I first wrote that it was supposed to be a smart @rse comment, but I have rethought that and actually think it might be a legit question.]

Do you want any help or not?

If not pop over to Bottom Bracket and people can properly 'discuss' this with you :roll:

seanoconn
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Some signs that your frame might be too small:

Loads of seatpost showing
    Layback seatpost with the saddle as far back as it will go
    huge saddle to bar drop
    more than the manufacturer's recommended spacer stack under the stem
    stem flipped upwards in spite of said spacers
    unusually long stem
    you catch the bar ends with your knees when you stand up to climb / sprint

But yes, the easiest way to get useful sizing advice on an internet forum is to post some side on pics of you on the bike.

hands on the hoods, pedals at 3 / 9 o'clock
    ditto but at 6 / 12 o'clock
    hands on drops

If in doubt, it's easier to get a fit on a frame that's a bit too small than it is to make one fit if it's too big.

My Racelight Tk is a 51 because the 54 was too long in the top tube for my reach, but because I have relatively long legs / short torso, I have several spacers and a flipped stem to make the saddle to bar drop comfortable.
    My CR1 has a shorter top tube so the 54 fitted with barely any spacers and a horizontal stem.
  • arran77
    Veronese68 wrote:
    This might help.

I'm sure nick would be more than happy to help if you can't manage it yourself :lol:

seanoconn
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Ajoten, I'd suggest you watch your attitude, people have offered to help but you won't post a picture, so you won't get proper help until you do and only if you watch your attitude.
  • ajoten
    Good lord. My original question was a conceptual one about spacers. Imposter told me you'd need more info to decide if the frame was too small. As I said, the implicit answer to my question therefore was 7 spacers can indeed be a perfectly normal tweak. Question answered. Job done. No embarrassing photo required.
    Андрю
    Alu is real.
  • ajoten
    And sorry if offended, really never the intention as was writing. Poorly worded.
    Андрю
    Alu is real.
  • imposter2.0
    ajoten wrote:
    As I said, the implicit answer to my question therefore was 7 spacers can indeed be a perfectly normal tweak. Question answered. Job done. No embarrassing photo required.

You are wrong to infer that from my answer, as that is not what I said - implicitly or otherwise. Just because some people may have seven spacers on their steerer, does not mean that your bike is the right size for you.

As others have said, without more info nobody can give you a proper answer. A pic would be the obvious next step.
  • arran77
    Imposter wrote:
    ajoten wrote:
    As I said, the implicit answer to my question therefore was 7 spacers can indeed be a perfectly normal tweak. Question answered. Job done. No embarrassing photo required.

You are wrong to infer that from my answer, as that is not what I said - implicitly or otherwise. Just because some people may have seven spacers on their steerer, does not mean that your bike is the right size for you.

As others have said, without more info nobody can give you a proper answer. A pic would be the obvious next step.

ajoten posts were bizarre to be honest, clearly he now he doesn't want any help or advice but this wasn't evident at the outset :wink:

seanoconn
  • ajoten
    arran77 wrote:
    [... clearly he now he doesn't want any help or advice but this wasn't evident at the outset ...

Er - I asked for advice and got the answer I wanted! I could try and explain further *why* I'm happy with the answer, but no doubt I'll accidentally rile people :( I will endeavour to make questions clearer and less bizarre in the future.
    Андрю
    Alu is real.
  • arran77
    ajoten wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    [... clearly he now he doesn't want any help or advice but this wasn't evident at the outset ...

Er - I asked for advice and got the answer I wanted! I could try and explain further *why* I'm happy with the answer, but no doubt I'll accidentally rile people :( I will endeavour to make questions clearer and less bizarre in the future.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

seanoconn
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    To be fair 35mm of spacers under the stem is quite a stack ! :shock:
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    To be fair 35mm of spacers under the stem is quite a stack ! :shock:

35mm is quite a stack, 25mm max is more the norm. Manufacturers will recommend a maxium stack height e.g. 25mm but rule of thumb is max stack height = diameter of steerer (1 1/8" so back to about 25mm again).

I think the issue you face is that you want the bars the same height as the saddle, and to achieve this you need either a stack of spacers or an unusally long head tube. So I conclude your frame isn't the wrong size, its potentially the wrong geometry.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • arran77
    drlodge wrote:
    So I conclude your frame isn't the wrong size, its potentially the wrong geometry.

Don't stir him up again :wink:

seanoconn
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    drlodge wrote:

I think the issue you face is that you want the bars the same height as the saddle, and to achieve this you need either a stack of spacers or an unusally long head tube. So I conclude your frame isn't the wrong size, its potentially the wrong geometry.[/quote]

Unless someone has back trouble or in their twilight years i would see no reason as to why anyone would want their saddle level to their bars.

It's just not cricket.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • arran77
    drlodge wrote:

I think the issue you face is that you want the bars the same height as the saddle, and to achieve this you need either a stack of spacers or an unusally long head tube. So I conclude your frame isn't the wrong size, its potentially the wrong geometry.

Unless someone has back trouble or in their twilight years i would see no reason as to why anyone would want their saddle level to their bars.

It's just not cricket.[/quote]

I concur.

My mountain bike :P

Yes I know I'm being silly :wink:

Ikrkn6.jpg

seanoconn
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    arran77 wrote:
    My mountain bike :P

Yes I know I'm being silly :wink:

Ikrkn6.jpg

I bet you look like a right old granny on that, all "sit up and beg" like :wink:

Has it got a 3 speed Sturmey Archer rear hub....tick...tick...tick? :)
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ajoten
    Mine:
    Андрю
    Alu is real.