2015 Genesis Croix De Fer

santahul
santahul Posts: 91
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
Been thinking about buying one of these for a while but since I was in no rush I decided to hold out for the 2015 model.

The 2014 model wasn't exactly a looker but oh dear, the 2015 model has to be one of the most boring bikes I've ever seen. I've had a think and decided I'm going to grab the 2014 model whilst it's still available. I simply can't get even remotely excited about this new one and fear it would eat away at me every time I looked at it.

I think my main problem is the total absence of any colour and the reversion to curved forks which make it look like an old Dawes. What do you guys reckon? I know some people on here will be saying "who cares what it looks like". Well I do, I'm spending a grand on something I want it to look nice.

2015 model
AtoQ037.png

2014 model
croix-de-fer.jpg

Comments

• hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    I agree. The 2014 straight forks look better and somehow the white makes the steel tubes look fatter.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    I have the 2014 model and love the way it looks. I get lots of people commenting on the bike and they all say how cool it is. When I collected it from the bike shop the shop was super busy and when they guy wheeled it out a very attractive women started making what can only be described as groaning noises as she loved the bike! Let's just say that sold it for me! Great bikes btw!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I think they are coming out with a CdF with carbon fork, which is the perfect do it all bike and the one I would get.
    Alternatively, the new Equilibrium disc, again with carbon fork is the better choice... if you don't require clearance for off road tyres
    left the forum March 2023
  • bmxboy10
    Also Epic cycles will be the cheapest.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    They've always offered the CdF in such dull colours.
  • santahul
    Was half expecting to get slated for this post so glad to hear I'm not the only one that feels this way.

I'll be using the bike for commuting and touring so hopefully the tyre clearance won't be an issue for me. Only thing I'd really like is the better brakes but I can live without them. solboy10's comments have pretty much made this a no brainer.

It's a shame as every single year Genesis seem to address all the big complaints of their bikes, like they really are listening to comments, which is great. Well I hope they read this post.
  • santahul
    Just thought I'd throw this out there. They're doing a limited edition version of the standard 20. Still has the ugly forks but is otherwise much more interesting. Still not what you'd describe as "exciting", but definitely better.

10513247_739863276078179_3505016895771524088_n.jpg

Unsurprisingly my critique of the styling on the actual Genesis blog wasn't approved by the moderators :? Seems the're only approving positive comments.
  • ugo.santalucia
    SantaHul wrote:
    Unsurprisingly my critique of the styling on the actual Genesis blog wasn't approved by the moderators :? Seems the're only approving positive comments.

Albert Steward, the brand manager for Genesis was quick to reply to my emails when I had something positive to say... as soon as I approached him about the fact that Genesis didn't store spare parts for their bikes, he stopped replying...
    Like most, they love to bask in their success, they don't want to hear about problems or unhappy customers.

Once I approached the Research Council, as they were looking for stories to write on their glossy magazine...
    their reply: "we always want to hear success stories"
    My reply: " ehm, it would be more like an in-success story"
    No reply...

There you go...
  • bmxboy10
    SantaHul wrote:
    Just thought I'd throw this out there. They're doing a limited edition version of the standard 20. Still has the ugly forks but is otherwise much more interesting. Still not what you'd describe as "exciting", but definitely better.

10513247_739863276078179_3505016895771524088_n.jpg

Still prefer the 2014 slate grey. Looks ace with a brown brooks saddle. Have mine on here somewhere under your road bikes section.
  • bmxboy10
    Have you seen the frame and fork option in copper? Looks ace and comes with CF fork for less than 450 quid. Get a new 105 groupset and some wheels and bobs ur uncle!
  • kamil1891
    kamil1891 Posts: 658
    I have just ordered a discounted 2014 model just for the sake of its looks! I would never buy the 2015 one, it's too boring as you say!

I will be mainly using the bike on the road for commuting and perhaps in the really bad winter weather for training. Also for some off-road riding and hopefully some little touring when the time and circumstances allow!

Really excited and cannot wait to have it delivered.

PS. Their geometry seems to be a little bit odd and I've tried to read loads about the sizing and opted for 58 frame, hope its good enough for a 190cm tall rider. Hope it's at least a bit aggressive and not too sluggish.
  • ugo.santalucia
    kamil1891 wrote:
    PS. Their geometry seems to be a little bit odd and I've tried to read loads about the sizing and opted for 58 frame, hope its good enough for a 190cm tall rider. Hope it's at least a bit aggressive and not too sluggish.

SIze should be fine. Not a very aggressive geometry, but cut the steerer and you'll be up to something. Just abuse it and thrash it... it's fun
  • kamil1891
    kamil1891 Posts: 658
    Thanks for the info and that's exactly what I want to do with it!

Surely, at some point, I'll be kindly asking you to build some wheels for it!

Also, will the stock wheels take 25mm tyres?
  • ugo.santalucia
    kamil1891 wrote:
    Thanks for the info and that's exactly what I want to do with it!

Surely, at some point, I'll be kindly asking you to build some wheels for it!

Also, will the stock wheels take 25mm tyres?

Pretty sure they do... I did use them for a while, before the hubs packed up and froze solid
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    This is my N+1 but after seeing that new paint job i better get a shift on and buy the 2014 model !!

I was toying with the idea of a MTB for winter riding across woods and fields etc... nothing too challenging but when i saw this i instantly wanted one !!!
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • This turned up today, really pleased with the colour. I will post up some pics when it's built up -

• AndypG800 wrote:
    This turned up today, really pleased with the colour. I will post up some pics when it's built up -

Nice!! :D

I really don't understand why that frame doesn't exist on the Genesis website!
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    AndypG800 wrote:
    This turned up today, really pleased with the colour. I will post up some pics when it's built up -

Nice!! :D

I really don't understand why that frame doesn't exist on the Genesis website!

I think because they're behind in updating it. I emailed them (well Madison) about geometry and was told I should go to a dealer who would have a brochure. I'm still not sure about the colour though, and am havering between the Croix de Fer and the Equilibrium disc frame.
  • Looks even better in the flesh. Not as shiny as the pics.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    What kit are you putting on it. I really like the frame only colour best one of the lot.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Shimano 105 that I have from another bike, Archetype rims with Ultegra hubs, 105 disc calipers, deda black on black bars,stem and seat post. Going to keep everything that is going on it black to off set the bronze.
  • I have the 2014 Croix de Fer and love it - always wanted it in white but after seeing the white one in the flesh I'm glad I didn't get it in the end. Quite a heavy bike but very comfortable and ideal for my commuting and autumn --> late spring.

I changed the saddle to an all black Fizik Arione and matching bar tape.

My hand built Strada wheels (H Plus Son, Sapim spokes c/w Novatech hubs) arrived yesterday, my 105 5800 11 speed groupset arrived today and hopefully the TRP HyRd brakes should arrive next week sometime :-)

Don't think I'll be changing anything else!!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Velocity aileron rims are the disc brake rims to go for now. wider stiffer and disc specific. How are you using ultegra hubs in a disc brake bike AndyG800? Unless you mena the non series CX-75's. My advise switch the 105 calipers for tektro spyres or the Hy-Rd. The 105 calipers maybe fine but the tektro's are better, easier to set up, slimmer, lighter, good modulation......
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Velocity aileron rims are the disc brake rims to go for now. wider stiffer and disc specific. How are you using ultegra hubs in a disc brake bike AndyG800? Unless you mena the non series CX-75's. My advise switch the 105 calipers for tektro spyres or the Hy-Rd. The 105 calipers maybe fine but the tektro's are better, easier to set up, slimmer, lighter, good modulation......

Yep using the CX-75s. Will look into the calipers, thanks for the advise.
  • Finally got it all built up - hope you like it

15590962176_a28ffa61b5_s.jpgIMG_1313
    15429044640_9d4318e255_s.jpgIMG_1314
    15429044570_6802064585_s.jpgIMG_1315
    15429044780_a728161a13_s.jpgIMG_1316
  • shing83
    shing83 Posts: 61
    Looks great! What sized frame is that? I'm waiting to collect my wheels this weekend then I can start the build. I was going to use the parts from my old bike but have ended up splurging on the new 105 groupset :oops:
  • Very nice... it would be awesome without the mudguards... :wink:
  • 58cm frame. I used a mix of parts I had and then some new bits. I have used the Jagwire sealed cables and they are great. Hopefully fit and forget as well.

Thanks Ugo. I does look so much better without them but hoping to stay as dry as I can this winter.
  • AndypG800 wrote:
    Thanks Ugo. I does look so much better without them but hoping to stay as dry as I can this winter.

Get a car then... the very essence of cycling in the rain is that of getting wet... mudguards are as useful as an umbrella in a storm... :mrgreen: