Future of Sky Procycling

12346»

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    The comparison between Sky and Tinkoff-Saxo is marked. Both teams lost their leaders, Sky went backwards never to be seen again. Whereas Saxo have bagged stage wins.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    The comparison between Sky and Tinkoff-Saxo is marked. Both teams lost their leaders, Sky went backwards never to be seen again. Whereas Saxo have bagged stage wins.

It's all down to the water bottle vest.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    smithy21 wrote:

:lol:

To be fair, Sky have been in the breaks and Kiri was third yesterday so they are trying but things aren't sticking. In part this is down to the 'defensive team' selected. Tinkoff's wins came from Majka, who wasn't meant to be at the TdF at all and probably proving a point and Rogers who was on form (unlikely Porte)...

That said, I do wonder how much 'team spirt' is on the death star especially in contrast to Tinkoff's encouragement!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    What was Kiri doing yesterday though - I know he may have wanted a steady pace up the last climb but sitting on the front that long can't have been the right thing to do. He was clearly strong and with other teams with several riders in that group why not just follow - the lead was massive so there was no need to keep the break moving. It does seem to be a Sky trait when they have people in the breaks to do far too much work - it was almost like he was in default Sky mountain train mode.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    dish_dash wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:

:lol:

To be fair, Sky have been in the breaks and Kiri was third yesterday so they are trying but things aren't sticking. In part this is down to the 'defensive team' selected. Tinkoff's wins came from Majka, who wasn't meant to be at the TdF at all and probably proving a point and Rogers who was on form (unlikely Porte)...

That said, I do wonder how much 'team spirt' is on the death star especially in contrast to Tinkoff's encouragement!

It's been a poor year for SKY, much of ut due to injuries/illness. Potentially the team could have included Stannard, Kennaugh, Henao etc not to mention Wiggins and been a good bet for stages.
    I'm still impressed that Tinkoff have two stage wins with guys who have already done the Giro.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    For all the praise for Saxo, this is the first time they've won something at the Tour since the Schlecks left in 2010. Sky's bad Tour this year has been Saxo's experience for the last three years.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    RichN95 wrote:
    For all the praise for Saxo, this is the first time they've won something at the Tour since the Schlecks left in 2010. Sky's bad Tour this year has been Saxo's experience for the last three years.

Fair point. Are you refusing to call them Tinkoff?
  • RichN95.
    dish_dash wrote:
    Are you refusing to call them Tinkoff?
    No. I'm just slow to change. You're lucky I don't call them CSC.
  • OPQS
    OPQS Posts: 187
    RichN95 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Are you refusing to call them Tinkoff?
    No. I'm just slow to change. You're lucky I don't call them CSC.

I liked them when they were CSC. Overcoming is one of my favourite movies.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pff, who do you think you are, coming into this thread with your fancy "facts" and "sense of perspective"? ( :))
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    What was Kiri doing yesterday though - I know he may have wanted a steady pace up the last climb but sitting on the front that long can't have been the right thing to do. He was clearly strong and with other teams with several riders in that group why not just follow - the lead was massive so there was no need to keep the break moving. It does seem to be a Sky trait when they have people in the breaks to do far too much work - it was almost like he was in default Sky mountain train mode.

Well they were on a climb so perhaps he was trying to burn them off, the only way to find out how the others are going is to put them under pressure. Cant realy knock him for trying to win the stage. Better to lose trying than just sit in the wheels. The others were stronger on the day.
  • Coachb
    Coachb Posts: 68
    Perhaps Sky should bring back the Nutella ,They have not been as good since the ban.

Nutella+JB.jpg
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    adr82 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pff, who do you think you are, coming into this thread with your fancy "facts" and "sense of perspective"? ( :))

I'm a fan, too. It's a pity about the insults and persistent resort to ridicule of posters he disagrees with.

I've made a case that Dave has been freewheeling (understandably) since 2012, his shop is in disarray, and Froome's brilliance has papered over the cracks. I respect the views of those who consider this a fringe opinion. Attacking the faculties of other posters is one of the worst features of CN forums. It's a real shame to see it here.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Macaloon wrote:
    I've made a case that Dave has been freewheeling (understandably) since 2012, his shop is in disarray, and Froome's brilliance has papered over the cracks. I respect the views of those who consider this a fringe opinion. Attacking the faculties of other posters is one of the worst features of CN forums. It's a real shame to see it here.

It's always the case in sport that if you aren't moving forward you're going backwards. From a team managers perspective today's success is irrelevant, it's tomorrows that you have to worry about.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Macaloon wrote:
    I've made a case that Dave has been freewheeling (understandably) since 2012, his shop is in disarray, and Froome's brilliance has papered over the cracks. I respect the views of those who consider this a fringe opinion.
    OK, that's fair enough. I'd agree that they've maybe let the grass grow under their feet to some extent.

I'm still not sure why it often seems like they're the only team worth talking about, whether things are going badly or not. Just look at this thread, where an innocent little post about the CN article turned into 9 pages of often quite heated argument...
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Macaloon wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I'm a fan, too. It's a pity about the insults and persistent resort to ridicule of posters he disagrees with.

Bet a lot of teams would settle for the current "Disarray". Since 2012 eh? Won the Tour and lots of other races in 2013. The Tour favorit crashed out of this one and his next option got ill with a chest infection. Having said that they have won some top races in 2014. You could argue they are not having as good a season as the last two, but to exagerate it to "Disarray" implies you are not entirely un biased.

You could have a look at the stats and tell us how many teams are having a better year results wise, that would help.
  • Coachb
    Coachb Posts: 68
    Macaloon wrote:
    adr82 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Yeah it's a real shame .
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    Kiriyenka rode pretty well yesterday and is off the front again today, he's certainly making the race more interesting. Sky have just had a bad season, happens to all teams in all sports.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Good effort Kiri. A mountain too early but good none the less. The others are just cagey defenders.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Bardet going as fast as he can on this descent. Love the determination. Got a decent gap. Pinot leading the chase with 8 men on this wheel.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    11km, gap to Nibali is 2.10 (Roche, Herrada, Rolland and Moinard)
    Bardet has about 15secs on Nibali.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Those 4 have 20 secs on the few that are left and bardet has about 40 secs now.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    You're on the wrong thread Frenchie
  • frenchfighter
    :oops:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    RichN95 wrote:
    You're on the wrong thread Frenchie

You ruined it, it was fun watching him chat to himself :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn