Tour de France:- Stage 14: Grenoble - Risoul *Spoiler*

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    That was a typical high mountain stage in the TDF...................unfortunately.
    Deadly dull grind, followed by a few minor attacks and a lot of grovelling.

Considering Majka was reluctantly yanked off a rest break and thrust into the most competitive race of the season, I'd say 2nd and 1st in the Alpine stages is.......................remarkable.

Seems to have better climbing legs than in his season's goal race, the Giro.

Am I the only one who really dislikes Pierre Rolland?
    So classy a riding style, classless racer.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Wow Geraint is amazing. Speaks well and has the great attitude.

He doesn't even say it was disappointing Nieve could do anything after all his work.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    6(6) PERAUD Jean-Christophe AG2R La Mondiale 6:08
    7(7) MOLLEMA Bauke Belkin-Pro Cycling Team 8:33
    8(10) KÖNIG Leopold Team NetApp – Endura 9:32
    9(12) TEN DAM Laurens Belkin-Pro Cycling Team 10:01
    10(13) ROLLAND Pierre Team Europcar 10:48
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Zubeldia is 12th - only 22 seconds off the top ten. And yet nobody has seen him.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • woody1545
    woody1545 Posts: 322
    BOOM Contador has tweeted his congratulations to Majka already. What a man.

Get a room.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    RichN95 wrote:
    Zubeldia is 12th - only 22 seconds off the top ten. And yet nobody has seen him.
    Actually I saw him in one of those 30s mid-race recorded interviews on Eurosport the other day! Must have been more TV time than he ever gets on the road...
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Nice bit of casual swearing by Ten Dam on Eurosport talking about seeing LeMond in the "pishing rain". :)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    That was a typical high mountain stage in the TDF...................unfortunately.

Considering Majka was reluctantly yanked off a rest break and thrust into the most competitive race of the season, I'd say 2nd and 1st in the Alpine stages is.......................remarkable.

I am not sure what you expect: successful breakaway and a man in there wins the stage... the yellow jersey attacks on the final climb... the drama of Valverde who cracks in the final... what's not to like?
    If you want to see broken bones and major drama you need to wait for the rain...
    left the forum March 2023
  • ugo.santalucia

I am not sure what you expect: successful breakaway and a man in there wins the stage... the yellow jersey attacks on the final climb... the drama of Valverde who cracks in the final... what's not to like?
    If you want to see broken bones and major drama you need to wait for the rain...
  • ugo.santalucia

• woody1545
    woody1545 Posts: 322
    thegibdog wrote:
    Nice bit of casual swearing by Ten Dam on Eurosport talking about seeing LeMond in the "pishing rain". :)

When LeMond shook Ten Dams hand I was worried he was going to dislocate his shoulder.
  • RichN95.
    He spent the first week and half in the autobus though. He's pretty fresh.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Oooh Greg think before you speak sometimes.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Valverde had a mechanical caused by Pinot it seems, couldn't change gears successfully.

I'm starting a "buy a beer for Pinot" fund.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    JRod and Majka tied on the KOM points. Double points on final climb. That is a real reality for him to chase.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Kittel has just got over Col du Lautaret.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Pleased the young frogs are doing well. I like Pinot, or Pineau Thibot or he was called a few times today. Bardet looks about 14 too.
  • RichN95.
    Everyone's finished. Last guys 27 minutes down.
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252

I thought it was a good stage, but I'm with you on Rolland.

That said, I seem to be the only one on here that doesn't hate Valverde's guts.
  • cesco
    cesco Posts: 252
    Yawn... another Sagan wheelie..
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Interesting tactics from AG2R. Not sure who they were actually working for. That sustained high pace was always going to suit JC, who is a Wiggins type diesel, more than Bardet. Maybe they believe JC is still their best hope of a podium? I'm not sure that they'd be wrong either.
  • RichN95.
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Interesting tactics from AG2R. Not sure who they were actually working for. That sustained high pace was always going to suit JC, who is a Wiggins type diesel, more than Bardet. Maybe they believe JC is still their best hope of a podium? I'm not sure that they'd be wrong either.
    Pierre Rolland reckons that Peraud and Bardet are riding against each other.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:

I'm beginning to develop a real soft spot for Haimar Zubeldia and his invisibility cloak. I even spent about an hour of today's stage purposefully looking for him to try and keep myself awake in the 30+ heat coupled with a stupidly early morning. Didn't spot him at all.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • OPQS
    OPQS Posts: 187
    I completely missed today's stage. Worth watching in full or will the highlights be sufficient?
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    OPQS wrote:
    I completely missed today's stage. Worth watching in full or will the highlights be sufficient?
    Highlights of the last climb is probably all you'll want to watch
  • RichN95.
    OPQS wrote:
    Highlights will suffice. Only the final climb worth watching.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Wow Geraint is amazing. Speaks well and has the great attitude.

He doesn't even say it was disappointing Nieve could do anything after all his work.

'cos there wouldn't be any point. If he had done people would have had a go for slagging his team mate off in public. People are not machines (unless your name is Nibali it seems - and I am not insinuating anything here) .
  • dsoutar
    Joelsim wrote:
    Pleased the young frogs are doing well. I like Pinot, or Pineau Thibot or he was called a few times today. Bardet looks about 14 too.

Yup - the last few years are finally paying off for the French teams. Great for the future of the race IMHO
  • OPQS
    OPQS Posts: 187
    adr82 wrote:
    OPQS wrote:
    Highlights of the last climb is probably all you'll want to watch

Thanks (and to the other respondents as well).
  • dsoutar
    iainf72 wrote:
    Valverde had a mechanical caused by Pinot it seems, couldn't change gears successfully.

I'm starting a "buy a beer for Pinot" fund.

Care to enlighten us ?