Sky plan C protected rider ?

oldwelshman
oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
edited July 2014 in Pro race
I was looking forward to see how Porte would perform in the A;ps, looks like he was not well, bad day or sick? Either way he has no chance now. Sky say they won't give up, I think they should just give all riders a free hand to try to win stages and have no protected rider, I thing G and Nieve have the form to win a stage or two,

Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Both Nieve and Thomas have shown there class this year, probably more entertaining to see them have a go than Porte hanging on for a podium. It would have been more surprising to see him up there than failing after the year he's had.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Did you watch the Giro. The final week or so I have never seen Sky with so much heart. Brilliant for the fans. Let's hope we get the same in this Tour. They dont really have the same sort of riders in the Tour but Nieve is a killer if unleashed.

Level of competition makes a plan C almost pointless.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    It's time to throw caution to the wind and go for stage wins. DB should point the finger each day and say "your turn"
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Did you watch the Giro. The final week or so I have never seen Sky with so much heart. Brilliant for the fans. Let's hope we get the same in this Tour. They dont really have the same sort of riders in the Tour but Nieve is a killer if unleashed.

What he said, Porte is still the highest ranked Sky rider so Plan C is not a thing.

It'll be good to see if G or Neive get to go in a break soon and go for a stage win. Just put £2 on G for tomorrow at 66/1
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I think you will. No-one is supporting anyone now. I'd back Nieve to win a stage, Thomas will have a crack, so will Kiryienka. Porte too maybe.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    RichN95 wrote:
    I think you will. No-one is supporting anyone now. I'd back Nieve to win a stage, Thomas will have a crack, so will Kiryienka. Porte too maybe.

Ah yes forgot about Kiri. Sky have sucked all passion from that killer. His Giro win dedicated to Tondo is a major highlight for the cycling fan.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2014
    Ah yes forgot about Kiri. Sky have sucked all passion from that killer.
    Really? He was always a mountain tugboat - that's why they signed him. Got a great win in the Vuelta last year. He's never won many races.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    sjmclean wrote:

What he said, Porte is still the highest ranked Sky rider so Plan C is not a thing.

It'll be good to see if G or Neive get to go in a break soon and go for a stage win. Just put £2 on G for tomorrow at 66/1

Nieve could conceivably be higher on GC now if he hadn't waited for Porte. Any GC ambitions are over for the team.
  • frenchfighter
    RichN95 wrote:
    Really? He was always a mountain tugboat - that's why they signed him. Got a great win in the Vuelta last year. He's never won many races.

I was thinking doomed breakaways ; )
    I remember him winning thay Giro stage with Tinkoff.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    FF's point is sound. Give the individual riders the chance and they are plenty good enough.

Sky have a plan (also apparently a Plan B) but when that doesn't work out their expectations should be no worse than any other team.

It took 3 years to work (2 if they had done it right), the law if averages (or clean cycling) say that they can't dominate every year (especially if it has to be 'the' race).
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • Coachb
    Coachb Posts: 68
    Plan d. Get Leinders back :lol:
  • RichN95.
    Coachb wrote:
    Plan d. Get Leinders back :lol:
    Why? They never won a Tour with him.
  • Coachb
    I know . He can't climb. :lol:
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    RichN95 wrote:

I was thinking doomed breakaways ; )
    I remember him winning thay Giro stage with Tinkoff.

where a young steve Cummings finished 4th
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Surely it's time for them to go all Europcar and just attack and if it works great if it doesn't at least they win some hearts and get some airtime. I'm sure the remaining riders would welcome the freedom too and it might reveal something about them.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Bs44kJYIgAAlp4u.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Geraint Thomas deserves team support for a stage win attempt. But given his selfless workload so far, lack of high mountain credentials, and the career-threatening prospect of Kerrison's 'GC program', he'd do well to step off the gas for a bit.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    Thomas & Nieve both in the break today
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    It's about time they abandon their plans and do some racing, because so far we haven't seen any of them... a stage or two would make the glass half full
    left the forum March 2023
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    At the point where all of Sky were dropped yesterday I thought.....I wonder if Wiggo and PeteK would still be in this lead group right now.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Coachb wrote:
    I know . He can't climb. :lol:

I literally have no idea how you are getting around the bans. Suffice to say I can keep banning every screen name & email you come up with.

It's easier to ban than it is to create a new account so I'm up for it.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Like a couple of others, I thought Sky should have let Nieve carry on once Porte shot back, he clear;y went big time so should have just let G with him, he was never going to salvage yesterdays finish.
    Big break today with G and Nieve in it so have two good options, G if the last climb not ridden too hard, Nieve if Perito pushes the pace.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Like a couple of others, I thought Sky should have let Nieve carry on once Porte shot back, he clear;y went big time so should have just let G with him, he was never going to salvage yesterdays finish.
    Big break today with G and Nieve in it so have two good options, G if the last climb not ridden too hard, Nieve if Perito pushes the pace.

Thomas had already been dropped when porte went pop. That he finished on the same time is because he caught them back up.

Unless I'm misremembering badly.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    The_Boy wrote:

Thomas had already been dropped when porte went pop. That he finished on the same time is because he caught them back up.

Unless I'm misremembering badly.
    You remember right.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    It's about time they abandon their plans and do some racing, because so far we haven't seen any of them... a stage or two would make the glass half full

They have no choice. It's stage wins or nothing.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    There's always the team classification. I'm sure a stage win or 2 will be the priority for SKy now but the
    Current top 4 looks like this:

1 AG2R La Mondiale
    2 Belkin-Pro Cycling Team +9:24
    3 Team Sky +23:46
    4 Astana Pro Team +29:20

Top 3 riders times count. AG2R definitely want it (but have white and GC concerns too). Belkin's mountain top 3 are Mollema, Ten Dam and Kruijswijk. Sky 2 in the break today but the peloton isn't allowing as much slack as I'd thought.
  • Coachb
    Sky just don't know how to improvise on the road. They don't have the riders of the calibre of Contador or Nibs ,Talansky etc who can grab the moment. Look at the dauphine when the plan was for Froome to attack at the 1 k to go mark ,Finhaut-Emosson stage.
    To late,,, Contador was already up the road, Sky could not react to Berties attack. It was not part of their plan.

Now for the first time they are up against in form riders they have no idea what to do.
    Thomas and Porte are good riders but not great and certainly cannot climb consistently with the best. Froome would have been found out as well. Those days he lost time in the last week of last years tour did not matter because of his lead but up against Nibs or an inform Contador he would not be able to lose anytime and they would blow him away like Contador has already this year.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Nice punctuation. Paging Mr Chasey.
  • frenchfighter
    Worth remembering that Sky's best rider this year bar Froome and PK is Nieve - a home grown Basque rider and his talent, his style and his performance has nothing to do with Sky.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    Worth remembering that Sky's best rider this year bar Froome and PK is Nieve - a home grown Basque rider and his talent, his style and his performance has nothing to do with Sky.

Bit harsh on Stannard that? Looked to be in for a good Classics campaign before a broken back ruled him out