Bird Zero Build

BloggingFit
BloggingFit Posts: 919
edited January 2015 in Your mountain bikes
Picked up my frame from Ben today, medium in Candy Blue with White decals. Already have a few parts spare from my Remedy including Forks and Wheels complete with Rotors and Cassette so most of the major expense is done with.

p4pb11188823.jpg

Medium Frame in Candy Blue

p4pb11188825.jpg

Ruining with Fox 34 140mm Fork

p4pb11188826.jpg

Saddle and grips were left overs. Next Carbon Bar was at a good price and I liked the colour match of the Spank Stem. XT transmission going on converted to 1 X 10 along with XT Brakes. Won't bother with a dropper for now.

Will be mainly used across the Winter months and for shorter sprint style rides.
Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    :):)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • BloggingFit
    Thanks again for sorting me out with the Bar and Brake Mounts!
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Shaping up very nicely... looking forward to seeing the full build :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • BloggingFit
    CitizenLee wrote:
    I'm looking forward to riding it!
  • Very nice looking frame, great colour. What's the range of forks you can fit to it?

Edit - I mean travel wise.
  • BloggingFit
    Very nice looking frame, great colour. What's the range of forks you can fit to it?

Edit - I mean travel wise.
    Up to 150mm without invalidating the warranty. I would imagine 120mm - 140mm would be the sweet spot.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee wrote:

I bet! When do you expect it will be ready to hit the trails?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • benpinnick
    We recommend 130 > 150mm. Frame warranty goes up to 150mm. 120 will work but gives you quite an XC head angle, at just shy of 68 degrees for a RS fork. Not terrible but not what we intended for it. We can supply a Cane Creek angleset with all the options from -1.5 to +1.5 degrees, factory fitted for just £70 to 'correct' for 120mm or alter the head angle for any fork up to 150mm.

Ben
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick wrote:
    We recommend 130 > 150mm. Frame warranty goes up to 150mm. 120 will work but gives you quite an XC head angle, at just shy of 68 degrees for a RS fork. Not terrible but not what we intended for it. We can supply a Cane Creek angleset with all the options from -1.5 to +1.5 degrees, factory fitted for just £70 to 'correct' for 120mm or alter the head angle for any fork up to 150mm.

Ben

Thanks Ben, good luck with the enterprise!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    benpinnick wrote:
    We can supply a Cane Creek angleset with all the options from -1.5 to +1.5 degrees, factory fitted for just £70 to 'correct' for 120mm or alter the head angle for any fork up to 150mm.

Ben

Interesting... *eyes up his '06 Rockhopper with 120mm Reba on it*
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • BloggingFit
    CitizenLee wrote:
    CitizenLee wrote:

I bet! When do you expect it will be ready to hit the trails?
    Was planning to have a rolling chassis done this evening but a lack of headset spacers has prevented me so had to make do with swapping out XT rings for my AB wide/narrow for the 1x10 conversion, installing the cranks and rear mech.

Hoping to have things done at some point next week if all goes well.
  • felix.london
    having just chopped down 2 sets of forks you'll be pleased to hear I have sh1t loads of spare headset spacers lying around :lol:

Trek Session 8
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Not too shabby at all 8)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • BloggingFit
    Seatpost arrived today. TruVativ Hussefelt which was cheap as chips and will do until I decide on a dropper or not. Managed to get headset spacers this morning but only 5mm but will be sufficient to get the build going.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I put a TruVativ Hussefelt on my BFe when I was building it up recently and just as I finished the build I decided to go for a Reverb, made a world of difference :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • benpinnick
    Bloggingfit you should have said... our UD carbon spacer packs are only a fiver! Doh.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    (order one now and I will make sure it gets in the post for you for tomorrow del.)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • BloggingFit
    Got one on my Remedy which gets used a lot but budgeting finances into another build late in the year so that takes priority unless I really take issue with a static.
  • BloggingFit
    benpinnick wrote:
    Bloggingfit you should have said... our UD carbon spacer packs are only a fiver! Doh.
    I didn't think about it at the time and thought I had some spare...

Order sent!
  • benpinnick
    ... and shipped, thanks again for your business.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223

Typo, or Freudian slip? :lol:

Looking forward to seeing the finished article.
  • BloggingFit
    IDave wrote:

Typo, or Freudian slip? :lol:

Looking forward to seeing the finished article.
    Predictive text but seemed appropriate so let it stand.
  • BloggingFit
    Got rolling chassis up last night and a rushed photo in the rain this morning.

p4pb11194490.jpg

Gears are all set up. BB feels there is a bit of resistance on back pedal but externals seem to feel that way compared to press fit even when loosened up the cranks. Lack of pedal weight doesn't help. Ride this evening and then see if I can get most of the build assembled before proper setup.

On thinking more about the BB I think it's more to do with chainline as this is only the case on big/big. Shall try chainring spacers to bring the line back in a little.
  • minley1
    minley1 Posts: 126
    This looks good, there is a very good review of the Bird Zero 1 in the latest MBR mag, really good to see some home grown products getting some exposure.

Only downside I can see is everyone asking for a 'Ride on your Bird' !
  • wilkij1975
    wilkij1975 Posts: 532
    Looking great there. Got mine on order too but in the yellow. Really looking forward to getting it and had some great service from Ben. They'll do well I think!
  • BloggingFit
    Finished the build off this evening. Just need to shorten off brake hoses at some point.

p4pb11196331.jpg

Took it out for a very quick spin to Swinley which was quite appropriate and did a few runs down.the jump gully and downhill from the reservoir to make sure everything was in working order.

p4pb11196336.jpg

Initial impressions are very good with a very direct ride although it feels weird riding a hardtail after such a long time. Will be good to get some proper riding tine on it and assess but I think it'll be a fun bike to use.
  • CitizenLee
    Looks amazing mate!
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • felix.london
    looks really nice that.

Trek Session 8
  • BloggingFit
    Thanks for the positive replies. I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Got a first decent ride on it this evening and it's a really fun bike to be on. Loves going downhill and technical single track. Very precise and the Fox felt almost decent on there too leaving it fully open for the whole ride. Climbs well enough with a bit of traction loss on more bumpy, technical sections but to be expected. The Full Suspension bike that's due out should be a very good bike to ride if it follows on from the Hardtail.

Overall lots of smiles per miles.
  • dirkpitt74
    dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
    Nice build.
    Frame looks superb in the blue!