Foldie that's nice to ride

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Is this going to be like Ricks hoover thread when lots of people gave recommendations then he ignored the ones he didn't like?
    I'm pretty sure there's one conclusive winner buried in this thread somewhere.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    drlodge wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    OK, so it's going to be used as follows: 1.7 miles this end, 4-5 miles in London, on the train in between. Lifting and carrying involved: basically, on and off the train. Needs to fold small, as train often very busy. And if I catch any part of myself on the damn thing whilst folding or if it oils me, there will be swearing...
    There's a company I heard of a while ago.
    Bimpton... Rompton... Br... nope, sorry, I'll let you know if I remember it

Brickerton :D

Bronkerton :D

Bromptium :D

OK, but if I go for a Plankton, do I have to grow a beard? And would it be weird to fit SPDs to it and use proper cycling gear when riding (if I'm riding the damn thing for 10 miles a day, might as well be comfy)?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    drlodge wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    OK, so it's going to be used as follows: 1.7 miles this end, 4-5 miles in London, on the train in between. Lifting and carrying involved: basically, on and off the train. Needs to fold small, as train often very busy. And if I catch any part of myself on the damn thing whilst folding or if it oils me, there will be swearing...
    There's a company I heard of a while ago.
    Bimpton... Rompton... Br... nope, sorry, I'll let you know if I remember it

Brickerton :D

Bronkerton :D

Bromptium :D

Broxtium...
    Broxton...
    Braxton..
    Traxton..
    Trax.

Yep, that's it. Halfords Trax

Job done. Your fellow commuters will love you
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    dhope wrote:
    Yep, that's it. Halfords Trax

Job done. Your fellow commuters will love you

That's not even a BSO!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    SecretSam wrote:
    OK, but if I go for a Plankton, do I have to grow a beard? And would it be weird to fit SPDs to it and use proper cycling gear when riding (if I'm riding the damn thing for 10 miles a day, might as well be comfy)?
    I rode 30 miles on mine yesterday, most of that wearing lycra. The only issue is whether you feel comfortable standing/sitting on the train in full lycra (it's never bothered me), but that's got nothing to do with the choice of bike. And yes, fit SPDs (or an equivalent). The left-hand one sticks out a bit (whereas the Brompton pedal folds in) but it's not that much of a bother.

I know there is a big shaving thread somewhere on here, I don't think I could add to that...

You're already a cyclist, isn't it a bit late to start worrying about being weird???

Here's another thought: Park the idea of a Brompton, and try a Boris Bike for the first couple of weeks; it may not be as bad as you think. If it is, get a Brompton (or even hire one for a month first, so you know it's the right decision before you commit to buying...)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    SecretSam wrote:
    And would it be weird to fit SPDs to it and use proper cycling gear when riding (if I'm riding the damn thing for 10 miles a day, might as well be comfy)?

I put SPDs on mine. The only downside is that it doesn't fold as neatly (since there's no longer a folding pedal; so it sticks out and you can't squeeze the bike between train seats as easily).

I sometimes wore proper kit on mine. But often didnt.

great-manchester-cycle.png
    Me riding the 26 miler Great Manchester Cycle a couple of years ago
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    SecretSam wrote:
    Needs to fold small, as train often very busy. And if I catch any part of myself on the damn thing whilst folding or if it oils me, there will be swearing...

Yep, brompton only then. SPD's don't stick out anymore than the original folding pedal and assist greatly with laying down the power awesome. I have 1-mile from home to my station, 40min train, then 4.5 miles to canary wharf. Hard suspension block, max 2 speed (for the weight saving), decent saddle and better handlebar grips (the stock ones are simply awful.

Oh and you can swap the chainrings for more speed, 58T for example. 58t2_zps7ae7fb7f.jpg

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • secretsam
    OK what's the difference between the 7,000,000 varieties?

• secretsam
    TGOTB wrote:
    Here's another thought: Park the idea of a Brompton, and try a Boris Bike for the first couple of weeks; it may not be as bad as you think. If it is, get a Brompton (or even hire one for a month first, so you know it's the right decision before you commit to buying...)

Actually, I was going to try a Boris for maybe one day, sans lycra...or bring own bike to the smoke

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    What I do know is that when a Brompton loses grip (on wet cobbles, for instance) it goes down REALLY fast...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    And would it be weird to fit SPDs to it and use proper cycling gear when riding

People certainly do, but yes, it's a bit weird.

I tried Boris bikes when they first came out to use around town, to meetings, etc rather than commuting. Even got one of those fobs.

But I gave them up when I was late for a meeting having spent 30 mins finding a free bay to leave it in.

At Waterloo now they seem to work OK most of the time, but often there are huge queues, both to pick up and to leave them.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    SecretSam wrote:

Less is More

Cheers,
    W.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    SecretSam wrote:
    Wow, that's even way more than Heinz!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Agent57
    elbowloh wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    Wow, that's even way more than Heinz!

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAAAAND!
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    SecretSam wrote:

2 or 3 speed, S (straight) handlebars and L (Mudguards) and the colour is all you really need to know.

I got a 3 speed hub gear as I have no intention of doing much maintenance and I perceived that the 2 speed derailleur looked a bit 'garden shed design'. Riding it, I don't think you will often NEED the 3rd gear but see it as a freebie for having a hub gear. Not convinced, myself, that the weight saving between the 2&3 speed is a real word issue. Yes there is a weight difference but its not a step change IMHO.

The only thing irritating me about Bromptons is the mahoooooooosive relative cost cost of Brompton specific luggage (Ortlieb Mini-o, for Brompton £90 - Ortlieb 6m Handlebar bag, exactly the same as mini-o with R&K fixing £65ish). I am currently investigating using an Ortlieb City Front attached to an S-Type rack
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • tgotb
    Coach H wrote:
    2 or 3 speed, S (straight) handlebars and L (Mudguards) and the colour is all you really need to know.

I got a 3 speed hub gear as I have no intention of doing much maintenance and I perceived that the 2 speed derailleur looked a bit 'garden shed design'. Riding it, I don't think you will often NEED the 3rd gear but see it as a freebie for having a hub gear. Not convinced, myself, that the weight saving between the 2&3 speed is a real word issue. Yes there is a weight difference but its not a step change IMHO.
    Not sure I agree - when it comes to the gearing, "it depends".

If you already like riding fixed/SS, a single speed may be fine. If, like me, you really like having lots of close-spaced gears, 6-speed is the answer (though the changes are a bit "special", because 50% of your shifts require both levers). For racing, I'm pretty convinced that 2-speed is the best option because the hub gear is less efficient. If you just want decent range, and don't mind wide spacing or a slightly less efficient drivetrain, go for 3-speed. In fact, I'd suggest you test ride the different gearing options to get a feel for what suits you best. (Pretty sure Evans do test rides).

Definitely get mudguards, you can always take them off (or leave them on) if you want to race. Don't bother with the rack; if you want to mount a bag on the bike the front luggage options are way better. Definitely get the straight bars, they're a lot more rigid (and also a bit lower). You can mount mini bar ends if that's your thing.

If you're tall (6' or more) the longer seatpost might not be long enough for you, but the telescopic one goes longer. Definitely worth checking this out in a shop before you buy. As someone said previously, get the harder suspension block unless you want to bounce your way along the road like a nodder on a full suspension MTB.

If you're that way inclined, there's plenty of scope for customisation. I have an 8-speed hub gear, and bull-horn bars (actually an old TT base bar) with a bar-end shifter, which gives me an almost identical position to my road bike; the trade-off here is that this has made the bike a lot more size-specific, so a shorter person would struggle with the reach (whereas an unmodified Brompton will fit almost anyone). I also have a conventional 2-bolt carbon seatpost shimmed into a cut-off Brompton seatpost, because the existing one was too short and my propensity for sitting on the nose of the saddle means I don't get on with single-bolt seat clamps.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Didn't fold up particularly small, but small enough that they let me take it on the train during rush hour.

Yeah, at the cost of pissing off everyone else who had to share the train with you. I think hateful thoughts every time someone brings a big wheel folder the crowded trains I have to use. Very selfish IMO
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    jedster wrote:
    Didn't fold up particularly small, but small enough that they let me take it on the train during rush hour.

Yeah, at the cost of pissing off everyone else who had to share the train with you. I think hateful thoughts every time someone brings a big wheel folder the crowded trains I have to use. Very selfish IMO
    Tbf to me, when I used to take mine, I used to go pretty early. Very rarely was that train that busy that people were rammed like sardines. It was no bigger than a large suitcase anyway.

Is it also selfish for someone to take their suitcase or a pushchair or a workman with his tools?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • secretsam
    Thanks all. I'm planning on using it in Aylesbury and Central London, so hills are not an issue. Will use rucksack so no need for bags. Straight bar definitely. Can you fit drops? :lol:

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    SecretSam wrote:
    Can you fit drops? :lol:

Why stop there? :D

viewimage.php?id=bicycle&no=29bcc427b48177a16fb3dab004c86b3f36bf15545611d805e53b1c3e57fea4ef33e22426a11e60e3842ffcf1b5e794a03966dd92841f3361181aa03ac74a876e44&f_no=2fafdf6bb7826ae864afd1
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Introducing the Brompton CX... :?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • tgotb
    drlodge wrote:
    Introducing the Brompton CX... :?
    I seriously considered it for Muddy Hell one year, but couldn't find suitable tyres...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • andrewc3142
    What Coach H said.

And I have a 6 speed with at least 3 more gears than I ever use, a rack I've never used and dynamo lights I took off.

Re flat pedals, seriously, spds can't really make a lot of difference on a folding bike on the flat (?) but decrease massively its flexibility as everyday city transport.

One thing I have noticed from seeing people with the newer Bromptons is that the frame appears to lock rigid, which seems to me a shame. A great point with mine is when you want to stand it, eg to buy a ticket, you just flip the back wheel under. Same for folding. Hopefully the lock thing is an option - if so I certainly wouldn't pay for it and wouldn't want it.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Has anyone tried both a Dahon (looking at the Mu SL) and a Brompton? May be looking for a folder for stashing in the office cupboard after a 10 mile ride plus the odd occasional London-based train journey (which discounts a larger folder like an Airnimal) rather than lots of folding/unfolding so road feel is more important.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Is it also selfish for someone to take their suitcase or a pushchair or a workman with his tools?

Not unless they take a needless big one rather than choose something more appropriate.
  • secretsam
    Took a look at the Bromptons in Evans London Bridge yesterday

Have to admit I was shocked when I noticed that the forks, instead of having a 'drop out' which is forged, they are simply pinched together tube ends. You expect that on a £75 BSO from Tesco, but not from something costing £900+. I appreciate the need to make economies, small scale, etc but that's not impressive.

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    SecretSam wrote:
    Took a look at the Bromptons in Evans London Bridge yesterday

Have to admit I was shocked when I noticed that the forks, instead of having a 'drop out' which is forged, they are simply pinched together tube ends. You expect that on a £75 BSO from Tesco, but not from something costing £900+. I appreciate the need to make economies, small scale, etc but that's not impressive.

Is there any reported problem on Brompton's dropouts? If not, who cares how they make them, as long as they work... Bromptons are made to work and work for years, not to be fancy and have flawless tube joints...
    You can phone Tom Donhou or Chas Roberts and see what you get for 800 quid worth of "made in London"
    left the forum March 2023
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    What I do know is that when a Brompton loses grip (on wet cobbles, for instance) it goes down REALLY fast...

Yes not your ideal Paris-Roubaix bike.
    One thing I have noticed from seeing people with the newer Bromptons is that the frame appears to lock rigid, which seems to me a shame. A great point with mine is when you want to stand it, eg to buy a ticket, you just flip the back wheel under. Same for folding. Hopefully the lock thing is an option - if so I certainly wouldn't pay for it and wouldn't want it.

Its just a small catch you flick aside when you want it to fold, but stops it folding /flopping if you are cvarrying it up steps etc. Mine is old style but I dont see the catch thing as an issue.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Agent57
    Also, you can render the lock inoperable by turning the suspension block so the clip isn't aligned with the hole it's intended to engage with.
  • andrewc3142
    Thanks. Just curious about the lock thing.