Foldie that's nice to ride

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited July 2014 in Commuting chat
Any recommendations, would prefer maximum 20" wheels due to train restrictions?

Have heard that Bromptons handle a little "uniquely" - is this true?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    SecretSam wrote:
    Any recommendations, would prefer maximum 20" wheels due to train restrictions?

Have heard that Bromptons handle a little "uniquely" - is this true?

small wheels and wheelbase so probably a bit fast/twichy, though plenty manage better than fine.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    When I first got my Brompton I was a little wobbly on it. The steering seems very direct, and the little wheels plus narrow handlebars made it seem relatively unstable. At first, I veered around a little when indicating to turn.

However, I got used to that very quickly; to the extent that getting back on a normal bike made it feel like a huge wallowing bus that took ages to turn.

Overall, I find the Brompton a lovely ride.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Yeah, but you get used to it quite quickly; take one of the flat-barred ones out for a test ride and see what you think.

I set mine up with narrow tyres and the same position as my road bike, and tbh it's not a lot slower (fast enough to win today's Millbank sprint, for instance). At the Brompton World Champs last year, the leading bunch were averaging a shade over 25mph.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Folding bike = Brompton
    Folding bike = Airnimal

Also try a Birdy (example) and a Tern (selection) for completeness.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    How tall are you? I didn't have any sense of the my Brompton being twitchy or unstable but I do feel like I'm riding a bike a couple of sizes too small - I'm 6'. I don't particular like the bike but it's very practical. I'll always take my steel Kona SS in preference even though I have to drag it up and down a steep staircase.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    I'm biased because i've got one but they ride beautifully once you've mastered it. If you have a quick test ride it will seem really twitchy because you're not used to the fairly direct steering. Once you are comfortable on it you can embarrass many 'normal' bikes. Also if it's going on the train it's pretty much the only real choice, the elegance of the fold and the compact size means you won't be getting out of your seat every five minutes to stand it back up or placate some angry commuter with oil on their trousers. Compared to any other folding bike it's just better, tried a dahon and a tern before i bought mine because i was put off by the price, but it's the best at what it does.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Got a Brompton (S3L) last week and so far its been great. Absolutely bonkers to ride (in a good way)
    Only found it twitchy when out of saddle but easily got used to it.
    Not done any significant rides yet, just sorting set up and out with kids but I cannot see it getting any more twitchy

Got mine as a toy really but now wishing I'd convinced the Household Finance Committee to let me have one on last years cyclescheme (especially as she has already borrowed it!)
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • secretsam
    Thanks to all of those in the Brompton Supporters Club for their feedback :lol:

Does anyone out there have a foldie that's not a Brompton? If so, please make the case for your choice of collapsing bike :P

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    SecretSam wrote:

Although I have one, I wouldn't count myself as a supporter. I have it because I need it. That said, I've not seen anything on my travels that looks better....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    SecretSam wrote:

Does anyone out there have a foldie that's not a Brompton? If so, please make the case for your choice of collapsing bike :P

My Dad had a Bickerton, it creaked like hell and was horrid to ride.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I occasionally use a Dahon folder for work. It's OK but the folding stuff was designed by someone who had no interest in it; it works but not very pleasantly. Quite like riding it but it is slow on climbs and interesting on descents! If I were to buy a folder for myself, it would be a Brompton......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I thought seriously about a folder before deciding to stick with my two bike solution.

If you are going to be taking it on a busy commuter train then a Brompton is MUCH better than the alternatives. Any argument slightly in favour of the ride of other folders gets swamped by the annoyance of their bigger bulk / less easy fold.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I think Specialized have a folder with one previous owner.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • secretsam
    rubertoe wrote:
    I think Specialized have a folder with one previous owner.

LOL might be a bit small, even for me. "Spares or repair"?

(IIRC, it was not a riding incident, apparently two team cars got over-friendly?)

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    SecretSam wrote:

We've got one of these:
    P130912_15.41.jpg
    It's sh1t, but quite funny if you overtake anyone.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    with the flat S bars the handling is fine, I think that reputation came from the classic M bars which were/ are a bit vague and occasionally flexy.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I used to have a dahon jack 7, bought (and subsequently sold) second hand.

It was a full-sized wheel hybrid. Didn't fold up particularly small, but small enough that they let me take it on the train during rush hour. Quite heavy, not sure how heavy compared to a Bromton though? Handled as expected with big wheels and regular flat bars.

seven gears covered all I needed in London. Sold it because I no longer got the train in to London!

I'd deffo recommend it if you think they'll let you take it on the train.

Dahon-Jack-D7-folding-bike-folded.jpg

IMG_0064.JPG
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Used to have an Airnimal Joey Sport (hence the forum name). Really enjoyed riding it and there is a good review of one here.

http://philwigglesworth.net/BlogEngine.NET/post/2007/02/08/The-Airnimal-Joey.aspx

Folding is a bit of a pain, so it really depends on what you need the fold for. If you want something that folds fast, and is very transportable then the Brompton is certainly the one to go for. If you want something that is nicer to ride but isn't to great at folding then take a look at the Airnimals.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Of course, the real advantage of a Brompton is that without one you can't compete in the Brompton World Championships :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • We (I bought it for Mrs WBW, but I have ridden it more than her) have a Phillips Boardwalk (Dahon and Raleigh have also released what appears to be identical bikes also called Boardwalk). It has got 20" wheels, 6 Shimano gears, a rack and guards, and it folds in under 30s. It is nowhere near as good as better known brands such as Brompton and Airnimal but you can pick up mint examples for £100 or less. I suspect you would have to fork out £500+ for good examples of the better brands.

I have taken it on the train and have stuck it in the boot when I'm driving most of the way and need to ride a few miles at my destination. For instance I had a course of physio after an injury - getting in and out of the hospital car park was a nightmare and parking was £3-£5 a go (depending on how long I took). I used to park a couple of miles away and ride the boardwalk - total journey time was quicker, saved a few quid (probably paid for the bike in saved car parking charges) and arrived for physio already warmed up. What's not to like?

Used the Boardwalk a lot when I was first teaching the kids to ride - it didn't seem right to take the scalp of a 6 year old and was the only bike I could ride slow enough not to leave them too far behind.

I've done 20 mile+ trips on one and there are times when I'm glad to have a folder in the stable, but in general I'd rather ride pretty much any fixed bike for anything over about 5 miles.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    They basically ride like an adults BMX, good fun hacking around town.

Also you can generally get a Brompton on a train without pissing many people off, they fit under some seats, generally out of the way and the fold means the chain is on the inside and won't grub up anyones stuff. If you get a really busy train those small things add up.
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    A lot depends on exactly what you want it for.

I usually cycle in, but if I have to catch the train I want a bike for a short, flat stretch at each end. The Brompton is perfect for that. Folds really, really quickly, complies with even the pickiest application of train cycle policies and rides pretty well.

Oh, and with a cheap bag can be taken as hand luggage on Eurostar, which was brilliant when I spent 6 months weekly commuting to Brugge.

If you have a longer and/or hillier route at one or both ends of the journey and don't mind missing the train from time to time as you fold it and the odd argument with the guard, there are alternatives that probably ride better, although I haven't tried any personally.

When I got my Brompton they were fairly new to market and hard to get hold of, and I ended up with the 6 gear version with a rack. If I did it again I'd go for 2 or 3 gears only and no rack (and the titanium version if you have deep pockets). When you have to lug it around stations there is an appreciable difference.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I rode a Brompton twice. The first time I thought the handling was horrendous, the second I thought it wasn't too bad after all, if I could manage to pedal at 2mph and not fall off. I think once you get used, there is a lot to go for in a Brompton. The quality of the bike is outstanding for the price. For the same money, you don't get the same quality even in products made in China!
    left the forum March 2023
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    We have an Brompton S3L at home that the wife mostly uses. Its great fun to ride shortish distances (I wouldn't want to do what a friend of mine did and do a LEJOG on one!) and as stated above, is quite like a BMX in its handling. The only thing I don't really like is the boingy rubber suspension block- it feels rather funny and I suspect sucks away my awesome speed. ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    I rode a Brompton twice. The first time I thought the handling was horrendous, the second I thought it wasn't too bad after all, if I could manage to pedal at 2mph and not fall off. I think once you get used, there is a lot to go for in a Brompton. The quality of the bike is outstanding for the price. For the same money, you don't get the same quality even in products made in China!

We have two office Bromptons for general use. I've grown to love them despite the twitchy handling. Don't get one with a dynohub though - too much drag for such small wheels.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    I've got a Montague Fit (http://www.montaguebikes.com/fit-folding-bike.html). They fold really easily but you do have to take off the front wheel. I've got mine on South West Trains without any problems.

They ride like a normal bike, mainly because they are one. Obviously I prefer my road bike but I've happily done the 20 odd mile commute on it when the train guards are in one of their shirty phases or the road bike is at the mechanics.

Bit of advice though, the kit on it isn't the highest quality and I would consider getting just the frame and then building it up yourself. That way you could put some decent gears and wheels on it.
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days
  • secretsam
    OK, so it's going to be used as follows: 1.7 miles this end, 4-5 miles in London, on the train in between. Lifting and carrying involved: basically, on and off the train. Needs to fold small, as train often very busy. And if I catch any part of myself on the damn thing whilst folding or if it oils me, there will be swearing...

• andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    Brompton it is, then.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    SecretSam wrote:
    OK, so it's going to be used as follows: 1.7 miles this end, 4-5 miles in London, on the train in between. Lifting and carrying involved: basically, on and off the train. Needs to fold small, as train often very busy. And if I catch any part of myself on the damn thing whilst folding or if it oils me, there will be swearing...
    There's a company I heard of a while ago.
    Bimpton... Rompton... Br... nope, sorry, I'll let you know if I remember it
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    dhope wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    There's a company I heard of a while ago.
    Bimpton... Rompton... Br... nope, sorry, I'll let you know if I remember it

Brickerton :D

Bronkerton :D

Bromptium :D
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava