Rest day 1 *spoiler*

1235»

Comments

• mulletmaster
    mulletmaster Posts: 502
    Not sure what all the fuss about Cancellara pulling out is about? He either pulls out now or hangs on for the TT and therefore goes all the way.
    What else is he hanging about for? Luxury domestique for a Schleck GC assault!? He isn't winning any other of the stages and he is too big a fish just to muck around in the autobus for 9 days.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    iainf72 wrote:

I reckon here he's saying Nibali has learnt to use lipids as fuel, which there are a few articles about. Sky do it a lot with their fasted rides etc

Any explanation or links?

Check the articles on the right side - Ketones and low carb stuff.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    inseine wrote:
    STAGE_02_NO_FRAME.png

a propos of nothing......but nice.
    Can be found at http://crayonfireshop.bigcartel.com/products

Thanks for that. "A GC ding-dong through the back streets of Sheffield". That was great.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Macaloon
    deejay wrote:
    Christ I'm getting to sound like a new FF but I have been watching Nibali this year with his slow and deliberate progress towards a TDF victory just like the old fashioned way. (well some did it this way in the past)
    He didn't show to the other TDF - GC riders his form that he kept hidden in Romandie and the Dauphine where it seemed to me he was riding easily to his own plan and not Vinokourov's.
    He then shook them all on Stages 2 & 5 where he set the GC standard for 2014 that others could not follow.

Forza Nibali, he is not a Jumped up single day racer trying to suddenly win a GT as he has won the other TWO.

I think this is spot on. He's looked as dominant and in control here as at the 2013 Giro. He hardly needed afterburners yesterday, just eased away. I think his 2012 Tour level was undermined by a full classics program. Maybe he was underestimated: Froome and Contador let him ride away at the Dauphiné. He'd be a handful for Quintana on current form.
  • Macaloon wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    STAGE_02_NO_FRAME.png

Thanks for that. "A GC ding-dong through the back streets of Sheffield". That was great.

Not that I have anything against one-legged cyclists, but that is a one-legged cyclist.

(also, his top tube appears to connect directly to his handlebars.)
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • Macaloon
    Not that I have anything against one-legged cyclists, but that is a one-legged cyclist.

What a ride :wink:
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    The ITV4 highlights show was good tonight, worth watching on catch-up I'd say.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Bsnc17bIQAAT3KP.jpg:large
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Who's the fat one on the gold bike? Vino? Presume VN on the TT bike to get out of that awful Nat champ top!

Edit: yes. Pic from inner ring
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Not sure what all the fuss about Cancellara pulling out is about? He either pulls out now or hangs on for the TT and therefore goes all the way.
    What else is he hanging about for? Luxury domestique for a Schleck GC assault!? He isn't winning any other of the stages and he is too big a fish just to muck around in the autobus for 9 days.

Tomorrow's stage is just his kind of stage. He was 4th fav at the bookies before he pulled out, albeit behind Sagan and Gerrans.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    iainf72 wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    How to people feel about the top two riders being out?
    They're not necessarily the most exciting two riders (one especially, some would say) so there's no reason it can't still be a great Tour. Maybe just a shame that Nibali has such a good lead.

There aren't many riders more exciting than Contador and Froome when they're riding for the win.

With all the names lining up, a lovely route it was being billed as a great Tour. But it's not going to be. It'll have good stages but the likelihood of it being a classic are very slim

Contador is exceptionally exciting when his back is against the wall as is Nibali though usually with less of the ability required to pull it off. I'm not sure I'd put Froome in their class as far as excitement goes. If you think about Contador and the solo attack over the Telegraph, with the Galibier and Alpe still to come, his attack on the descent of the Sarenne last year, his attack earlier this year in the Dauphine - they were rare moments when a rider has gone for broke and risked their position on the podium for an outside chance of the win - similar when he beat Rodriguez in the Vuelta.

I'm not sure I've ever seen Froome do anything like that - he launches multiple attacks on the final climb of the day when he is fairly sure he's the strongest - as much as most riders do but nothing to set him apart. To be fair to Froome he rarely finds himself in a position where he has to take big risks to win the race because he is so strong and I suspect his natural instincts are reigned in a bit by his team - I'd love to see him having to really go for broke.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Macaloon wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    STAGE_02_NO_FRAME.png

One of them Look bikes innit - must be a Cofidis rider in embargoed kit...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    So what did Oleg get up to yesterday. Flying round the equator backwards in his private jet as fast as he could?
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Bsnc17bIQAAT3KP.jpg:large

Still got it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    BsnA5ucIMAAs0RK.png
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • OPQS
    OPQS Posts: 187
    BsnA5ucIMAAs0RK.png

That's my boy!
  • frenchfighter
    Interview with the KOM podium lady:
    http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/page/inte ... 8ZdVfldVQ0
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mulletmaster
    mulletmaster Posts: 502
    Interesting interview that cheers for sharing.
  • frenchfighter
    According to the idiotic Vayer, it is a good thing Contador and Froome are out:
    http://www.lemonde.fr/tour-de-france/ar ... 16918.html

He is saying Contador climbing that stage he finished 3secs ahead of Nibali is evidence of him being able to ride the mountains as fast as he did in 2009. That was a 5min climb.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited July 2014
    Did I hear Simon Yates right on the ITV4 rest day highlights saying he'd picked up a bit of flu in the last couple of days? :) Well, he sounded absolutely fine so that must be the biggest man-flu exaggeration ever. Was funny. Sounds like a nice bloke though.
  • Macaloon
    Cycling podcast on the Astana rest day press conference - Nibali flanked by Scarponi and Vino - no doping questions, transparently.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Macaloon wrote:
    Cycling podcast on the Astana rest day press conference - Nibali flanked by Scarponi and Vino - no doping questions, transparently.
    And Kreuziger having just been busted for the period he rode for them (and was developed alongside Nibali at Liquigas for five years).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    According to the idiotic Vayer, it is a good thing Contador and Froome are out:
    http://www.lemonde.fr/tour-de-france/ar ... 16918.html

He is saying Contador climbing that stage he finished 3secs ahead of Nibali is evidence of him being able to ride the mountains as fast as he did in 2009. That was a 5min climb.

Google translate lolz
    stud monster Tony Martin
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Google translate lolz
    stud monster Tony Martin

I hear he is off for a little holiday after the Tour, where he will have a lovely time in a field with a lot of lovely female horses.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    RichN95 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    And Kreuziger having just been busted for the period he rode for them (and was developed alongside Nibali at Liquigas for five years).

Apparently none at the Sky one either. Brailsford actually said something along the lines of 'what, no doping questions?'