Sagan: Great or underachieving?

morstar
morstar Posts: 6,190
edited July 2014 in Pro race
Clearly a phenomenal talent. But ultimately, will he be judged harshly by history for not getting the wins or recognised as an obscenely talented and consistent rider?

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    He's still only 24. He's still learning. He's done more at this stage than most of the equivalent greats (Kelly, Cancellara, Boonen, De Vlaeminck for example) had done.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    I think Richard Moore recently said 'Sagan can win on almost any terrain', it seems more accurate (for this Tour at least) to rearrange to 'he can almost win on any terrain!'

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Underachieving? What?

Peter Sagan is no Jan Ullrich.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Young. I don't want to see him riding conservatively, but I guess he could have improved his chances yesterday and in Sheffeild if he'd ridden more discretely and bided his time. He'd need to be lucky to win a pure sprint finish. Not hearing anyone say that Cancellara is washed up because he didn't pull off the win in Harrogate.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Surely someone will be on the radio telling him what to do? Although he should really have enough experience now to work out when to make a single effective attack or wait for the sprint.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    frisbee wrote:
    Surely someone will be on the radio telling him what to do? Although he should really have enough experience now to work out when to make a single effective attack or wait for the sprint.

It's almost as if radios don't decide tactics on the road :P (which they don't, despite what people seem to think)

He's in a tough spot - If he's in a group and someone goes off the front, everyone will leave it to him to chase. But if he attacks or goes with an attack, the other guys will just sit in. It's the Cancellera gambit.

He needs a slightly stronger team who so he can have a worker with him in the tough finals.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    He hasn't quite got that strategic capacity for winning races like a Sean Kelly had. It will come with experience though.

Cancellara is a good example. As riders started to realise just how talented he is they basically tried to mark him out the race. So he has had to learn exactly the right moment to attack, the right moment to work himself, and the right moment to force others to work.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sagan habitually getting near misses for a while but then one season something just clicks and he wins everything.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    if he gets himself into proper team, he could be dominant

and, dare I say it, lose a kg or two
  • RichN95.
    rkobv8.jpg
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Great. It's been alluded to above, I think at the moment he is lacking that killer instinct. He sometimes seems to just be mucking about, when that talent could be used to bury his opponents.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Do you think there's any possibility he's just chasing Green Jersey points and not risking it all for stage wins? In some of the bunch sprints he seemed OK just making sure he was up there to collect points instead of going all-out like he might do for a one day race.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    You're a very tough crowd.

Sean Kelly won 5 stages in the tour in his career. Sagan has won 4 stages and came very close is his fifth yesterday.

Oh but Kelly won lots of monuments. How many did he have at the age of 24?

He's a very talented 24 year old who is being judged as if he is a senior pro.
  • milton50
    For those who know these kind of things, is Cannondale a relatively poor team?
  • RichN95.
    Milton50 wrote:
    Yes. Plenty of people to do bog standard donkey work but not much else. Viviani is really the only one that you could class as above average.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    At the moment I'd say great, but I'll answer properly 8 years from now.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    TheBigBean wrote:

This. It's too early to judge whether Sagan will be good, great, or a flash in the pan. Calling him 'great' on the back of a couple of seasons is definitely overdoing it.

FWIW though,I think this year he seems to be racing with a bit more doubt in him. David Millar was talking about the way Sagan previously took risks that nobody else would - or could, frankly - to get towards the front. I get the impression that he isn't racing with quite the same aggression this year - it's a little more measured - and the desire to attack from distance is possibly a symptom of that. I'm sure he'll work it out, and if he doesn't at least we'll have fun watching.
  • vinnymarsden
    vinnymarsden Posts: 560
    Don't write off Sagan, well not until he has won today (Saturdays) stage…I have a fiver on him, at crazy odds!!! :D:D:D

Maybe if the Cannondale media rep reads this he will realise it's a BIG day for Peter,and tell him the hopes of a Bike Radar member are riding on him!!!!

Joking aside, I think he seems to lack the maturity required at this stage, and also just as important he seems to ride his own team members so hard, because he is so good, he never has a real lead out for the finish when a sprint is up for grabs…
    He has in the last few days tagged onto some other teams wheel at least 3 times…Good luck to him though, the train is NOT exclusively yours, and he WILL win stages this tour…hopefully today!!! Go Sagan!!!!!
  • milton50
    RichN95 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    Yes. Plenty of people to do bog standard donkey work but not much else. Viviani is really the only one that you could class as above average.

Moser's a good talent as well. But yeah, it seems as if they're missing a top tier domestique. Someone who could be with Sagan in a reduced group of 30-40 to do the chasing if people try and jump away.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    A bit early for a Sagan retrospective. He's about the same age as Little Pete but with a far greater palmares. Bizzarely I don't think his achievements would be questioned if he hadn't been such a successful rider.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • RichN95.
    Milton50 wrote:
    Moser's a good talent as well. But yeah, it seems as if they're missing a top tier domestique. Someone who could be with Sagan in a reduced group of 30-40 to do the chasing if people try and jump away.
    I was just considering the nine at the Tour. Moser's the sort of person he needs, but they have to spread their meagre resources thinly.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    The very very minor worry is he's finding someone with a better sprint than him in more and more finishes; not just in the Tour, but all year, and going back to last year too. He maybe needs to stop wasting energy on finishes like yesterday; there was no need at all for him to be pushing the pace on the climb, but he always does it. The wins will come back soon enough - like today.
  • milton50
    Turfle wrote:
    He maybe needs to stop wasting energy on finishes like yesterday; there was no need at all for him to be pushing the pace on the climb, but he always does it.

But I think he feels compelled to do that kind of thing because he knows once it gets to the run-in there'll be constant jumps out of the group and it will be up to him to chase.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Milton50 wrote:
    Turfle wrote:
    He maybe needs to stop wasting energy on finishes like yesterday; there was no need at all for him to be pushing the pace on the climb, but he always does it.

But I think he feels compelled to do that kind of thing because he knows once it gets to the run-in there'll be constant jumps out of the group and it will be up to him to chase.

Definitely. Going with attacks I'm absolutely okay with (it's what makes him exciting, and if they stayed away he would have won), it's the unnecessary efforts he does to follow every single pace increase on climbs that maybe blunts his sprint.

It's the Cancellara problem. It's easy for me to tell him to just relax, be willing to lose, and let the race come back to you sometimes, but in reality that's a very hard thing to do!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    iainf72 wrote:
    frisbee wrote:

It's almost as if radios don't decide tactics on the road :P (which they don't, despite what people seem to think)

He's in a tough spot - If he's in a group and someone goes off the front, everyone will leave it to him to chase. But if he attacks or goes with an attack, the other guys will just sit in. It's the Cancellera gambit.

He needs a slightly stronger team who so he can have a worker with him in the tough finals.

I agree although sometimes you wonder if he/his DS could maybe save one or two of the team a bit more for the finale - as Carlton never tires of telling us Sagan does use his team up early. Obviously there are some finishes, Sheffield for example, where it'd be a big ask to come into the finish with a team mate but if he had had one you could almost have guaranteed the win.

edit - just read through and the same point has been made about 3 times in the last 5 posts.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    TheBigBean wrote:
    You're a very tough crowd.

Sean Kelly won 5 stages in the tour in his career. Sagan has won 4 stages and came very close is his fifth yesterday.

Oh but Kelly won lots of monuments. How many did he have at the age of 24?

Kelly was relatively mature when he made his big breakthrough in 1983 Lombardy - 27 (though its not as if he wasn't a big winner before then). Some guys are up at the front all the time, but never quite make the breakthrough (of Kelly's contemporaries Etinne de Wilde comes to mind as as not having quite fulfilled his potential). Kelly also won green in 1989 without picking up a stage, so it's not easy. Sagan is exciting to watch and I'm sure he has plenty of fantastic rides to come. He certainly seems frustrated at not having won when he's interviewed. Not sure if that's a good sign or not?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    OP here. I know it's early to say but I think it's an interesting question. Since his TdF breakthrough, he has ridden really well and cruised to green jerseys but he has been nullified as a stage winner to a large extent. Just interested to see how people think this will be perceived in years to come if the pattern were to continue.
    As for frustration, demonstrates his passion which is a positive but shows a lack of detachment which can be a negative if he needs to make a calculated decision in the heat of the moment.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    On a more general level, his palmares (wins and jerseys only) since signing for Liquigas / Cannondale:

2010:
    Paris-Nice: (2 stages and points jersey)
    Romandie: (1 stage)
    California: (2 stages and points jersey)

2011:
    Sardegnia: (3 stages, GC and points jersey)
    California: (1 stage and points jersey)
    Tour de Suisse: (2 stages and points jersey)
    Poland: (2 stages, GC and points jersey)
    Vuelta: (3 stages)
    National RR Champion
    Winner of GP Industria

2012:
    Oman: (1 stage and points jersey)
    Tirreno: (1 stage)
    3 Days of De Panne: (1 stage)
    California: (5 stages and points jersey)
    Tour de Suisse: (4 stages and points jersey)
    Tour de France: (3 stages and points jersey)
    National RR Champion

2013:
    Oman: (2 stages)
    Tirreno: (2 stages)
    Winner Gent-Wevelgem
    Winner Brabantse-Pijl
    California: (2 stages and sprinters jersey)
    Tour de Suisse: (2 stages and points jersey)
    Tour de France (1 stage and points jersey)
    USA Pro Cycling Challenge: (4 stages and sprinters jersey)
    Tour of Alberta: (3 stages and sprinters jersey)
    National RR Champion
    Winner Gran Premio Citta di Camaiore
    Winner GP Montreal

2014:
    Oman: (1 stage)
    Tirreno: (1 stage and points jersey)
    Winner E3 Harelbeke
    California: (1 stage and points jersey)
    Tour de Suisse: (1 stage and points jersey)
    National RR Champion

So the question is: is he plateauing (having peaked early or because his condition is poor) or has his drop-off in results simply been because he's now so tightly marked? Or a bit of both? Ultimately, people have been aware he was bloody good for a few years now yet he had an excellent season in 2013. He doesn't seem as strong this year. A change of team is perhaps overdue.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Sagan is great - I really hope he'll win a monument or two next season. His problem is he's like a kid with a new bike.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    He'll almost certainly break Zabel's green jersey record
  • iainf72 wrote:
    frisbee wrote:

This. When it comes to crunch time he is either out soloing it with a mixed group on a bumpy stage, or sitting on a pure sprinters wheel on the flat days. Needs a better team to support him when it gets to the pointy end to take him to the next level.