KMC 11 speed Missing Link - Reusable?

dabber
dabber Posts: 1,974
edited January 2017 in Workshop
I know the official position is that the KMC 11 speed Missing Link isn't reusable. Is that really the case or does anyone reuse them. I'm thinking now about chain cleaning not keeping the same link going when I put on a new chain.

I'm running 10 speed at the moment but may get a new bike before too long and would probably "go up" to 11 speed.
“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Have reused my 11sp KMC link many times, replaced it when I replaced the chain at around 3000 miles.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    Also reused mine many times and I run a 10 speed missing link on an 11 speed chain too, the 11 speed ML was a git to undo and allegedly not reusable (campag).
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • dabber
    Thanks for the feedback. I wanted to know what the "real world" situation is.

Interesting that the 10 speed link works ok with a 11 speed chain - no performance, noise problems?

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    My ten speed link we a reusable one. Easy to undo and I did it several times for chain cleaning.

My new eleven speed one said not reuseable on the packet. It's a pig to even start moving. I haven't yet had to undo it. Not looking forward to it.

Why is one reuseable and the other not?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,150
    it's non-reusable because kmc designed it that way, once locked in place it's intended to stay there, so no features to allow easy removal

presumably kmc did this because it couldn't make the link re-usable while meeting safety/reliability/cost targets

whereas for a 10-speed with more material to play with, making it re-usable is a more viable proposition, but kmc also make a non-reusable 10-speed for tougher conditions

barring a controlled trial to evaluate the performance of links being re-used against the maker's instructions it's impossible to say what the difference in risk is, but it seems reasonable to assume that forcibly removing a link will not improve it's reliability/safety

personally i'm happy to re-use re-usable links, and not re-use the rest, a broken chain can cause a nasty accident
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    Dabber wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback. I wanted to know what the "real world" situation is.

Interesting that the 10 speed link works ok with a 11 speed chain - no performance, noise problems?

no noise at all, the difference is so small but that little bit makes it easier to undo.
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    I've re used one many times over when I was messing about with my FD and I had to remove the chain a number of times.

As mentioned they're not designed to be re used but I can't really see the issue as long as you don't abuse it whilst removing. I've always used the pliers to get them off. The very design of the link means it should strengthen the link as it's used and the only way it could fail is if one of the pins breaks.

While they're charging £6 per link I'm willing to take the risk/act as a Guinea pig in re using them. £6 each is a piss take!
  • dabber
    Thanks again for the comments. The decision to upgrade to 11 speed on a new bike has made me take various costs into consideration. This "link" issue is just another. I currently take my chain off for cleaning every 2/3 weeks. I don't really want to have it cost me £6 a time. Having said that, I don't want to endanger myself either. I don't think I put out a lot of watts but I do a fair bit of climbing in France so I have that to consider.

It's interesting that people are using a 10 speed link with an 11 speed chain successfully. If I went the 11 speed route it would probably be with either Athena or Chorus.

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    If you have an 11sp chain, use the 11sp link and remove as needed, and no need to replace. It is reusable, even thought it isn't...
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Dippydog2
    And it's more like £10 than £6.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kmc-11-speed-chain-links/
  • dabber
    Dippydog2 wrote:

Well, not really. £9.95 for two.

dr... thanks for your comments.

• Dippydog2
    Dabber wrote:
    Dippydog2 wrote:

Well, not really. £9.95 for two.

dr... thanks for your comments.

Two in the packet? That's good news to me. I have twice as many as I thought.
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    If you look at the KMC website, some links are listed as re-usable, others including the 11speed links, are listed as non re-usable.
  • reg_
    reg_ Posts: 21
    Depends on the mileage. TBH for the price of them I'd rather swap a new one along with the chain to avoid any issues. Having said that I ran a Connex link for three chains on the commuter :D
  • marin_maniac
    marin_maniac Posts: 513
    I've got 11 speed KMC link on my 6800 chain. Re-used it many times no problem. Admittedly I need to use the quick link tool to get it apart where I didn't need that with the 10 speed links.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Again, I re-use the supposedly non-reusable KMC missing links many, many, many times - I clean my chain by removing it every couple of weeks, and at £5-10 a link (depending where you buy them), it just wouldnt make sense to use a brand new one every time.

I use the Park Tool missing link pliers to remove them, thus ensuring no damage.

Never had a problem (yet!).

Obviously I cant recommend this is safe to do, against manufacturers recomendations, but all I can say is that I have never had a problem and I've had links that i've removed and re-fitted 30 times or more.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I also use the tool. Removal and re-use is then simple. No reliability issues or indications that there could be any.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • i've reused both sram & kmc 11speed missing link, both failed on me. sram last quite longer though, kmc gave up just during shifting.

btw im using xx1.
  • Bar Shaker
    I'm using KMC. Has been off many times. I always inspect it for wear before it goes back on. It's been fine so far and shows no wear at all.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    After going to 11-speed, I started cleaning the chain in-situ rather than taking it off. To be honest, I find it a lot easier. Need to use one of these:

vyrn_30soportecadena-morganblue-imag2_ad_l.jpg

Stipple brush, de-greaser and clean the chain, mechs and chainset in one go.
  • Bar Shaker
    I use one of those too and use it when taking the wheels off during a minor clean (i.e. when not taking the chain off).

It's no substitute for a decent chain clean though and by cleaning the chain on it's side in a tupperware tub of degreaser you are cleaning inside the link rollers too, where the grit is held in suspension and where it is doing the most damage.

The outside of the chain can be cleaned by wiping with a rag, with the wheel on. That is of only limited benefit to the life of the chain.

Taking the chain off can also be good for your karma as it prevents getting dirty oily degreaser fluid all over your patio and getting a nagging off the wife!
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Get yourself a pair of these & you'll be glad you did:
    http://www.parktool.com/product/master- ... rs-mlp-1-2

Makes removal (& sometimes closing) the links ridiculously easy, and is likely the least stressful to the kmc missing link.
  • tri-king
    tri-king Posts: 180
    Dabber wrote:
    Thanks again for the comments. The decision to upgrade to 11 speed on a new bike has made me take various costs into consideration. This "link" issue is just another. I currently take my chain off for cleaning every 2/3 weeks. I don't really want to have it cost me £6 a time. Having said that, I don't want to endanger myself either. I don't think I put out a lot of watts but I do a fair bit of climbing in France so I have that to consider.

It's interesting that people are using a 10 speed link with an 11 speed chain successfully. If I went the 11 speed route it would probably be with either Athena or Chorus.
    Cleaning ones chain every couple of weeks seems a bit anal to me?
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    sdevillers wrote:
    Get yourself a pair of these & you'll be glad you did:

Makes removal (& sometimes closing) the links ridiculously easy, and is likely the least stressful to the kmc missing link.

This x 100000

How I struggled before?!

Now it just takes a second, and I can be certain it is properly mated.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,150
    sdevillers wrote:
    Get yourself a pair of these & you'll be glad you did:

least stressful to a kmc link that's designed to be reusable is fingers, i've used them for years and never needed a tool to fit/remove one, it's easy

if you use the tool to force open a single use link, which by definition is intended to be locked closed and not opened, it's simply using brute force to open it, that seems pretty stressful
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • A couple of years on what's the thinking on this?

I always used to take my old (9/10 speeds) chains off for a thorough clean once a month or so, plus take off for travelling.

Now I have 11 speed. I put in a KMC quick link when I broke it to travel, but have been cleaning it on the bike. However, I'd like to go back to taking off for cleaning / travel without paying £6 a pop.

Is it okay to regularly do? Is there anywhere you can by quick links in bulk for cheap? Are there any other links for 11 speed which are reusable?
  • Recently bought half a dozen 11 speed KMC links from Aliexpress for $0.60 a go... Post was about $2
  • Moreyn
    Moreyn Posts: 124
    Hmm,
    What about the Wippermann Conex 11, speed link? I use them on all my 10, speed chains. I'm thinking of trying a 10, speed kmc link on my new Shimano 11, speed chain. anyone else done this?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Recently bought half a dozen 11 speed KMC links from Aliexpress for $0.60 a go... Post was about $2

Of all the minor components that I wouldn't want any added risk of buying snide, I reckon chainlinks have to be up near the top. Having a chain break mid-stomp is pretty bad at the best of times...a break during a sprint to a signpost or whilst grinding up a 20% and it won't be at all pleasant.