8 speed to 10 speed?

2»

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I wouldn't necessarily get a 9-speed its just a "theoretical minimum".

It's not though. They're discrete. 10 speed MTB mechs are not compatible with anything else. If you get 10 speed MTB shifters you need a 10 speed mountain bike rear mech. If you get 10 speed road shifters you can use an 8/9/10 road mech, or 8/9 speed MTB mech. Not difficult to grasp. No "theoretical minimums", it's black and white.

The clutch stops chain slap, which is a non-issue on road bikes. Still, I've answered my question now:
    I'm not sure if you're stubborn, or stupid.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    No its just sometimes front mechs/pull is being discussed and sometimes rear mechs/pull. :P

Plus the MTB 10-speed being a unique thing threw me off, sorry.
  • Manc33
    Guys, is there any such thing as "XTR" cable housing? It seems to just be "SP41" housing labelled as XTR because, well why not. :roll: I guess for the same reason a 9-speed mech is labelled as 8-speed when those don't exist.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    cooldad wrote:
    My road bike has 42/52 up front. And I am old and puny.

Just saying.

Mine used to have 42/52 before I replace it with 34/50, it also used to have 13-21 or even 13-18 and I wondered why hills were a struggle!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • njee20
    Manc33 wrote:
    Guys, is there any such thing as "XTR" cable housing? It seems to just be "SP41" housing labelled as XTR because, well why not. :roll: I guess for the same reason a 9-speed mech is labelled as 8-speed when those don't exist.

It used to be grey SP41, it's now just the same.
  • Manc33
    If I can change the housing and it runs better I won't even want to upgrade. Crappy shifting is the only reason. Thing is I am already on brand new SP41 cable housing that came out of a brand new box of shifters. :roll: It know it is genuine because its out of a Shimano box.

At £2 a meter who cares. I'll just get the one called XTR lol.
  • njee20
    LOL, yes, ROFL, nothing funnier than cable outer. PMSL.

Are you related to Kowalski?
  • Manc33
    njee20 wrote:
    LOL, yes, ROFL, nothing funnier than cable outer. PMSL.

Are you related to Kowalski?

Whats funny is the unnecessary naming of things by Shimano.

My FD says its 8-speed (on a sticker on it), but one doesn't exist of an FD-R443. :roll:

Some cable housing is called "XTR" but its just SP41 lol. Same prices etc.

Yes, thats funny. They probably sell more cable housing (and front mechs) that way too. :P

If I have a 9-speed FD "pretending to be" an 8-speed, it will work with a 10-speed chain right? :lol: Sounds like it would run on a wing and a prayer.

Waiting for: "Yes you might be able to run a 9-speed with a 10-speed chain but running a 9-speed that's pretending to be an 8-speed is a big no no"
  • Manc33
    Those M980 trigger shifters have the "I-spec" mount. Do any "flat bar" brake levers have that I-spec mount? I couldn't find any, they are all called v-brake levers, mostly Deore and XT. How's about if a guy had side pull brakes and MTB shifters eh eh eh. I know... "Why would they make a brake lever for side pull brakes with a mounting system only found on mountain bikes?" but I need one.

Otherwise it wastes "real estate" on my handlebars (which are cut down a lot, about 580mm)
  • njee20
    No. No I-spec canti brake levers. Because no one uses MTB shifters with canti brake levers, they use the right ones. The clamps hardly take up any space.
  • Manc33
    njee20 wrote:
    No. No I-spec canti brake levers. Because no one uses MTB shifters with canti brake levers, they use the right ones. The clamps hardly take up any space.

But if you had a bike with MTB shifters and canti brakes, then you might want an I-spec canti brake lever. :P
    njee20 wrote:
    no one uses...

I do.
  • njee20
    Why would you have MTB shifters and cantis though? Cantis were superseded nearly 20 years ago by v-brakes, and then discs. Hardly surprising that Shimano aren't making combinations of parts to factor in folk using very old components, or in this instance, the wrong parts.
  • Manc33
    njee20 wrote:
    Why would you have MTB shifters and cantis though?

I don't, I have calipers aka side pull brakes - crap B'Twin ones I wish were 105's. :roll:
  • Manc33
    After all this I might just get a pair of these lol.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod112069

The issue is the crappy shifting, not whether the bike has an 8/9/10/11 speed cassette.

If I get brand new 8 speed shifters... even though they are entry level, I guess they will most probably change gear better than 18 year old XTR shifters. :lol:

The Claris 2400 STi shifters change gear well, I can vouch for those. Thing is thats when brand new, they could go bad after 100 miles for all I know.

I get mixed up though I mean is Claris actual garbage or what? There's really not much below it is there. :roll:

What I haven't looked at yet is older mid range stuff.

I mean there's three tiers to it...

1. Ancient, top of the range.
    2. Quite old, mid range.
    3. Brand new, entry level.

Which of those will change gear best?

Been through all this before and people just say ancient XTR shifters all day long. Mine must need a bloody good overhaul or something then. No way does 18 year old tech change better than new tech! The Claris STi I tried were better around the smaller sprockets than the ancient XTR shifters are.

That stupid 11t! I sometimes ride along thinking is it a myth... nope, it exists lol. I bet in 1998 there was no such thing as an 11t? Why would a shifter care, maybe its that super small last bit an ancient 8-speed shifter just doesn't even know is there, but this would only be mech related.

Guys why is shifting crap around the smaller 2 sprockets? I mean when shifting starts to go awry, it always seems to be there on the cassette, where the cable is slackest. I do blame the shifters in this case because thats where its own spring is weakest and obviously not holding the cable tight.