Tour de France Stage 7 Epernay-Nancy *Spoilers*

12345679»

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Don't think the Talansky crash was entirely down to either of them - Gerrans' move did chop his front wheel but clearly Talansky has switched off while others were still racing for the line. Haven't seen the overhead though and I guess that might clear Gerrans - it wouldn't clear Talansky as his fault was pretty clear from the head on.

Great last 30k though - shame for TVG though.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Just seen the van Garderen accident. Bizarre. Sagan didn't win Stage 2 for the same reason he didn't win here. How long before he gets a rep?

Entertaining thread. Rhubarb forcers of the triangle, the Dao of Cheng: this Tour has it all. (btw for more on the Daodejing, there's this cosmic In Our Time Radio 4 episode.)
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    When GVA went, what should Sagan have done?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    "Thank God for my team-mates though, and especially Bernhard Eisel. He had me in his pocket all day and looked after me brilliantly." Said Titchy Richie.

Surely that's not allowed!
  • Macaloon

Joined the furious chase with OPQS, OGE etc. Maybe he just misjudged his condition and expected to stay away, but it wasn't long before he was regretting putting in the effort.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Macaloon wrote:

Joined the furious chase with OPQS, OGE etc. Maybe he just misjudged his condition and expected to stay away, but it wasn't long before he was regretting putting in the effort.

S'pose. Too many left in the group to let GVA go as they 'didn't want to take Sagan to the line'. He could have done with that hill being a bit more selective.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon wrote:

S'pose. Too many left in the group to let GVA go as they 'didn't want to take Sagan to the line'. He could have done with that hill being a bit more selective.

I don't think he's got a free hand tactically due to his relatively weak team. With a decent wingman to close the late attacks, he'd likely rarely lose non-flat sprints. Hard to know his equivalent level when he does so much for himself.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Macaloon wrote:

OPQS were overweight with a good TTer and a sprinter, (and are a Belgian team...) so probably worth gambling they can pull GvA back.
  • rick_chasey
    calvjones wrote:
    calvjones wrote:
    Teejay is just sh!t.

Minute lost. I'm bringing my PTP luck to Velogames picks too.

Always was. Had a good 20km in a mountain stage and everyone thinks he's great.

Just isn't. Far too overhyped. His team worked that out too. "Can pay for your own tow to the line - you're sh!t"

Aye, hard to argue against that.

Time to be a bit humble - no idea he crashed hard at 15km to go and ended up on a teammate's bike which was too small.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    Frank DNS tomorrow with a fractured femur.
    Involved in the final bend crash.
    Amazingly finished only 3 minutes after the leaders
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    thing is, when GVA went, had sagan not gone with him, would the other teams have been so keen on chasing and taking sagan to the line? whereas when he was up the road they knew they had to shut it down asap
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Jonathan Vaughters ‏@Vaughters · 11m
    Gerrans just offered apology. All good. Thank you

Jonathan Vaughters ‏@Vaughters · 4m
    Also - @ORICA_GreenEDGE - Andrew (we)realize it wasn't all Simon's fault. A bit of the fog of war. Apologies all around. Onward.
    In his interview on ITV4 Gerrans said he was sorry that Talansky crashed... which I think is as much of an apology as was warranted!

Interesting to note the difference between today's reaction from Vaughters/Talansky and Gerrans's reaction last Saturday when Gerrans actually had some right to complain.
  • rick_chasey
    Danny van Poppel & Stef Clement abandon.
  • rick_chasey
    Clement taking the train home :)

Hope he goes first class.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    JV was a lot calmer latter on. I think he freaked a bit thinking his man was damaged beyond repair.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Shame that Frank had to abandon. Both he and Atapuma have had surgery on their femurs.
    Danny van Poppel & Stef Clement abandon.

Makes Simon Yates the youngest in the race.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    10341521_267005123492939_5853893200112757747_n.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Love this photo:
    CORVOS_00023486-119.jpg

Not sure what Gerrans is doing but that was an unacceptable move especially as he was racing for 5th not 1st.

CORVOS_00023486-058.jpg
    20140711_%C2%A9BrakeThrough-Media_AX7O6269.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest