Kristoff vs Cavendish

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited July 2014 in Pro race
I was going to post Kristoff's comments but didn't at the time. Now it is worth it though as Cavendish has responded.

Kristoff:
"I was stuck behind the crash and felt I had good legs. I don’t know if I could have beaten Kittel but I think I could have been close so it was a missed opportunity," Kristoff said.

Other riders avoided criticizing Cavendish but the Orica-GreenEdge team has said it was surprised that the race judges did not punish Cavendish for causing the crash. He openly apologized for the crash but Kristoff was still critical.

"Suarez was banned for biting people in soccer and to me it looked like he crashed on purpose," Kristoff said, suggesting that Cavendish was far too aggressive in the sprint.

"At 60 kliometres an hour it's really dangerous and you can injure people, so it's not nice of him. In an uphill sprint you lose a bit of [bike] control sometimes. It's not the first time he's done this. I hope he calms down a little bit in the future. He's a brilliant sprinter but it looks like he lost his head a little bit."

--

The Manxman’s agent Simon Bayliff said Cavendish is “shocked and angry” at the comments, which were made the day after Cavendish crashed out of the race.

"He has no idea where Kristoff is coming from," added Bayliff.

"I would normally say it's best just to let some things go, but this is libelous and we are considering legal action."

If Cavendish goes ahead with this then he falls massively in my estimation and it will be a clear sign that the guy is finished.
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Well it won 't come to that will it. What do you think about Kristoff saying Cavendish "crashed on purpose"? Surely that's a translation error, it makes no sense at all in the finish of your season's main target, or in any race.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    FF, there's a bit of a difference between suggesting someone was at fault for an accidental crash compared to stating they deliberately caused the same crash. You can understand why the latter might annoy Cav. It also makes no sense whatsoever, why would he do that and risk (as it turned out) ruling himself out of the entire Tour?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Kristoff talks about himself in the third person on twitter...

Alexander Kristoff @Kristoff87 · 26m

Almost for Alexander on stage #4 as he finishes 2nd http://alexanderkristoff.com/?p=1050

I don't know what that means, but it whatever it is I don't think it's good.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    adr82 wrote:
    FF, there's a bit of a difference between suggesting someone was at fault for an accidental crash compared to stating they deliberately caused the same crash. You can understand why the latter might annoy Cav. It also makes no sense whatsoever, why would he do that and risk (as it turned out) ruling himself out of the entire Tour?

I agree but taking legal action would be ridiculous.
  • above_the_cows
    Pross wrote:
    adr82 wrote:

The Norwegians have a very large sovereign wealth fund.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Pross wrote:

Why? You can't talk sh*t in the press and not expect to get sued.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    No, but you can ride like a daft sh1t and not get penalised.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857

Almost for Alexander on stage #4 as he finishes 2nd http://alexanderkristoff.com/?p=1050

Fleshtuxedo says talking about yourself in the third person is a sign of being a d*ckhead.

But maybe he has staff for doing his tweeting.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited July 2014
    TMR wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Yes, that's exactly what you can.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Fleshtuxedo says talking about yourself in the third person is a sign of being a d*ckhead.

But maybe he has staff for doing his tweeting.
    As another sprinter once said: "'Chris Hoy thinks that the day Chris Hoy refers to Chris Hoy in the third person is the day that Chris Hoy disappears up his own arse.'"
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TMR
    ThomThom wrote:
    TMR wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I haven't got the energy to argue TBH - a Court will decide if that's the road he chooses to go down.
  • TMR
    mfin wrote:
    No, but you can ride like a daft sh1t and not get penalised.

He isn't in the Tour. Precisely what punishment is worse than that?
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    I'm assuming Kristoff meant that Cav knew his move was dangerous but done it anyway in an attempt to try and at least get in a position to fight for the win.

I have now decided Kristoff is going to be my favourite sprinter. Thats. My. Reaction. :wink:
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    I'd be very upset if I was Cav in this instance. What a horrible petty thing to say to someone who's just had their year ruined.

I think he was a little aggressive, but its not the first time that people have tried to muscle him out of the sprints.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • TMR
    Lancew wrote:
    I think he was a little aggressive, but its not the first time that people have tried to muscle him out of the sprints.

Sprints are aggressive FFS. These are Pro riders - they aren't made from chocolate. They are tough bastards.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    It's a completely unnecessary tactless thing to say from Kristoff. Cav has been punished more than enough. Even his worst enemy would have been sad seeing him roll over the finish holding his arm in Harrogate. I do wonder what Tom Veelers thinks, though.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Exactly what punishment had he in mind?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Seems fair enough.... http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kristof ... -cavendish

Original comments lost in translation it seems.
  • TMR
    hammerite wrote:
    Seems fair enough.... http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kristof ... -cavendish

Original comments lost in translation it seems.

What he means is "Please don't sue me silly!" Pfft :roll:
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I think Cav needed a wake up call before he seriously injures someone.
  • TMR
    I think Cav should carry on sprinting precisely as he is. No apologies to anyone. He isn't the danger IMHO.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    They should bring Abdoujaparov back to show Kristoff what reckless really looks like.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Joelsim wrote:
    I think Cav needed a wake up call before he seriously injures someone.

I think this was a one off. He was desperate with it being a home crowd, in his Mum's home town. I've seen him sit up a lot more recently (which granted isn't too often) when he doesn't think the sprint is on than he used to when he was younger.

He's generally a pretty safe sprinter.
  • thomthom
    Not only was Kristoff's interview laughably lost in translation it's also ironic that, of all people, Cav is the one being offended. Feck's sake..
  • thomthom
    TMR wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    TMR wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I haven't got the energy to argue TBH - a Court will decide if that's the road he chooses to go down.

Lol.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    If Cavendish goes ahead with this then he falls massively in my estimation and it will be a clear sign that the guy is finished.

Too late to the party on this but would he b*ll*cks have sued...someone knows the only way to get his name in the paper this July is to shoot his mouth off a bit
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    ddraver wrote:

Too late to the party on this but would he b*ll*cks have sued...someone knows the only way to get his name in the paper this July is to shoot his mouth off a bit

Yeah or talk about watching kids films. The guy is a shadow of his former self. To be expected after the success he has had but he should regain some desire.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    ddraver wrote:

Yeah or talk about watching kids films. The guy is a shadow of his former self. To be expected after the success he has had but he should regain some desire.

It's alright Frenchie I heard he held off from adding a xx to the end of that tweet less someone think he wasn't a real man.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    That was what was missing from the sign, the 'xx' on the end!
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • above_the_cows
    type:epyt wrote:
    That was what was missing from the sign, the 'xx' on the end!

:D