Tour de France Stage 4 Le Touquet-Lille *Spoilers*

1789101113»

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Impressive sprint by Kristoff, almost got it even with a 400 m sprint started from way too far out
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Everyone seems desperate to inject as much DRAMA into this Tour as possible sometimes.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mulletmaster
    mulletmaster Posts: 502
    Perfectly possible to have a fracture that is occult on plain x ray but visible on a CT or MRI for example. Doesn't mean that it's likely in CF though. If I was his Dr I'd tell him to ride on it and see how it goes. If he can cope it doesn't matter what the MRI says, if he can't cope again it doesn't matter whether it's fractured on MRI or not.
  • Perfectly possible to have a fracture that is occult on plain x ray but visible on a CT or MRI for example. Doesn't mean that it's likely in CF though. If I was his Dr I'd tell him to ride on it and see how it goes. If he can cope it doesn't matter what the MRI says, if he can't cope again it doesn't matter whether it's fractured on MRI or not.

Very informative - cheers!
  • mulletmaster
    Good job Tramadol is legal (we need a zipped smiley face to insert here)
  • So what you're saying is that CF deliberately fell off his bike to incur (1) Terrible road rash and (2) A hairline scaphoid fracture to get a TUE for both Tramadol and Prednisolone?*

*This is obviously satire, and I have no idea what I'm talking about, medically speaking :D
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Good job Tramadol is legal (we need a zipped smiley face to insert here)
    Not the sort of stuff you want if you need to concentrate.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mulletmaster
    So what you're saying is that CF deliberately fell off his bike to incur (1) Terrible road rash and (2) A hairline scaphoid fracture to get a TUE for both Tramadol and Prednisolone?*

*This is obviously satire, and I have no idea what I'm talking about, medically speaking :D
    Nah you don't want to break a scaphoid, it could be dead by the end of the tour requiring a lot of surgery and work, poor blood supply to it. Prednisone also dreadful for fracture healing (not much use for pneumonia either but I'll leave that there).
    Tramadol would be awful stuff to cycle on without doubt, but if reports are to be believed the pros are at it. I certainly would need something to get me over pave with a sprained wrist never mind bone bruising or an undisplaced fracture though!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    FJS wrote:
    Impressive sprint by Kristoff, almost got it even with a 400 m sprint started from way too far out

Was mainly helped by Renshaw leaving a good 1-2 bike lengths gap.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    SPTDW707.jpg
    SPTDW711-660x440.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Just thinking that is it time to get cycling clothes to be more robust. If the clothes was more resilient then road rash would be reduced. Road rash is a bitch to get over.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Just thinking that is it time to get cycling clothes to be more robust. If the clothes was more resilient then road rash would be reduced. Road rash is a ***** to get over.
    On balance it doesn't make sense. It's playing the percentages. However, on another thread someone pointed out that pros always train with full length kit - well that's why.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Just thinking that is it time to get cycling clothes to be more robust. If the clothes was more resilient then road rash would be reduced. Road rash is a ***** to get over.

Wouldn't make much difference. You can get bad road rash in a crash even when your lycra remains undamaged (I speak from experience here!)
  • frenchfighter
    ATC, every day the leading team get presented with small cows. I have no idea why but Sky have had them recently.

045-IMG_0076.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Contador. Love this guy.

"The truth is that I have tried to finish as high as possible because the position of the car tomorrow is very important," he said. "But I had to take some risks to get that placing.

"It was again a day marked by nerves and danger at every moment plus the threat of wind which forced us to be well positioned. I think I was always in the top 20 throughout the entire stage, thanks to the extraordinary work of my team. We haven’t had crashes or other mishaps, but we had to be a lot in front and ‘eat’ a lot of wind to be in the top positions. I have gained two positions that are really important for the car position tomorrow..

"I cross my fingers because it will be a really difficult day. The weather forecast is very bad. Without rain it would already be a complicated stage but with rain will be a skating rink. We will have to try to negotiate the sections of cobbles in the best possible way, and we will have winds of about 30 km/h which could split the peloton even before the cobbles. Tomorrow will be a tough day and I hope that if we have a crash, it will not be a big one.

“Right now I'm really happy with my feelings, with the team work, with the concentration in the race. For now, we're going as good as possible. To have finished four stages without mishaps is a succes but it is also thanks to the great work of my team. Of course, tomorrow is a day to cross fingers and hope that everything goes well.

"I don't know anything about Froome's crash. I have not seen it. The whole team has been focused from the beginning till the end. Again the work was extraordinary. It is important to be well placed, but if you are unlucky you can not do anything."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    jerry3571 wrote:

Geraint said that Froome had chosen to wear a summer skin suit that gets torn more easily than 'normal' kit so as Richard has pointed out clothing is being chosen by riders on factors other than crash protection.
  • frenchfighter
    2014-Tour-de-France-Stage-4-3.jpg

“I can’t express how upset I am right now. Nothing to say but my knee exploded and I had to hold it together till I could get to the Ambulance. At the TDF clinic they didn’t have the correct equipment to drain and stitch so Im off for surgery now. Will know more tomorrow re resuming training. Was a dirty disgusting looking wound. I now know what a kneecap looks like minus skin. Thanks to everyone for your kind words. I’m pretty emotional right now but I will try remain positive.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    I actually just shuddered reading the words "Now I know what a kneecap looks like minus the skin"
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I'm familiar too with road rash and on two occasions seeing my bones peeking through the mess but I think there is more protection wearing clothing despite the obvious cost. My last crash was wearing a goretex jacket and it didn't rip and left no road rash so happy days.
    Seems a shame as Sky can get their black kit to not absorb the sun's heat but not provide any kind of protection as I'm sure Froomey has left his bedsheets, this morning, with a few nasty, bloody stains. :(
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    More from Lotto Belisol

Team doctor Jan Mathieu: "Greg Henderson has a deep cut of twelve centimeters on his right knee. During a first check-up in the medical cabinet after the finish, the wound was stitched. Tonight Greg will go to the hospital of Herentals where he will undergo minor surgery by doctor Toon Claes. The knee will be drained to avoid the wound gets infected."

"Lars Bak hit his head and has abrasions on the right side of his body. After the finish he was a bit dizzy. Bart De Clercq also hit his right side: shoulder, hip and knee. Both riders could continue the race."
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    SPTDW711-660x440.jpg

Is this the detached front end of the Canyon that caused the second spill?
    Half man, Half bike
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Looks like steerer failure
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    RichN95 wrote:
    jerry3571 wrote:
    On balance it doesn't make sense. It's playing the percentages. However, on another thread someone pointed out that pros always train with full length kit - well that's why.

I don't think that's the reason - they just have very low body fat and will tend to feel the cold a bit more than your average rider. If you are out all day then it makes sense to wear a bit more for the early morning or evening and unless it's uncomfortably warm you may as well leave it on. There's probably a bit of old school myth about protecting your joints from the cold too which feeds into it being the done thing.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • frenchfighter
    Yes RR, just after Froome's crash as someone posted a gif of.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    tdf14st04-voeckler.jpg

tdf14st4-chengji.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    "A rider from Belkin wanted to go through a gap that wasn't there," Keukeleire stated. "He hit me and I was barely able to avoid the wheel ahead of me. Behind me was Froome and he touched my wheel and crashed."

"Immediately I thought, even though it wasn't my fault, 'Fuck, I took down the winner of last year's Tour de France,' but in the end he seems to come away with some minor scratches."

After the crash, both Mollema and Froome were able to get back in the peloton and Keukeleire went over to Froome to apologize. "He said it wasn't necessary because it wasn't my fault since the Belkin rider was to blame, although he appreciated the gesture."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    BsD0MlUCMAAORK8.jpg:large
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    ATC, every day the leading team get presented with small cows. I have no idea why but Sky have had them recently.

045-IMG_0076.jpg

RATG Semences are the sponsor. They were chucking out cow keyrings from the Caravan too. I can't quite make the link between their being a agri-biotech company making seeds and the cows... but hey ho. Wonder if they also supplied the poppy seeds being thown out of the caravan...
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    dish_dash wrote:

045-IMG_0076.jpg

RATG Semences are the sponsor. They were chucking out cow keyrings from the Caravan too. I can't quite make the link between their being a agri-biotech company making seeds and the cows... but hey ho. Wonder if they also supplied the poppy seeds being thown out of the caravan...

Cows are identified with the traditional image of the countryside in the majority of people's imaginations, plus stuffed toys are cute. Agri-biotech companies do stuff that people might not associate with "farming" and the countryside, and are generally a lot less fluffy and cute. The company would rather have their name being associated in the public's imagination with fluffy and cute than with GM-type stuff.

Or there were a bunch of stuffed cows available on the grey market for cheap so the sponsor picked them up.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy