Are cycling specific jackets worth it?

2»

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    That's 3!

But, +1.

The Castelli stuff is the answer in the other 3 seasons. So, Fawesome vest, Gabba, Nanoflex mix.

For summer. As long as it's not cold, just get out there. If getting dirty is an issue, wear something old.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    The Castelli stuff is the answer in the other 3 seasons. So, Fawesome vest, Gabba, Nanoflex mix.

+3

Fawesome is exactly what it says - one of my favourite garments of all time.

I got a Gabba convertible not long ago, which was great the couple of times I wore it before it got too hot - almost can wait until the Autumn to try it out some more...

Just got a Sottile shorty - on the basis that in the summer its uncomfortable wearing a long sleeve jacket over bear arms and a short sleeve jacket will be cooler but unlike a gilet wont let the water run into the body through the shoulder/armpit area - only one ride on this so far but looks promising.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    + more support for windproof jackets, have 3 now and sold all my waterproofs.
    Mr Evil wrote:
    ...reasonable energetic cycling and you're going to get wet in your own sweat...
    Commuting isn't racing; if you don't want to sweat then it's ok to slow down. I find that I can stay dry in the winter (I have an Endura Flyte, which is a hard shell) and still be faster than most other cyclists.

I spy a cheeky bit of racing.. :wink:
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Mr Evil wrote:
    ...reasonable energetic cycling and you're going to get wet in your own sweat...
    Commuting isn't racing; if you don't want to sweat then it's ok to slow down. I find that I can stay dry in the winter (I have an Endura Flyte, which is a hard shell) and still be faster than most other cyclists.

Commuting isn't racing, but it is necessary to go faster than pootle mode if you live a decent distance away from work.

You have to go 'fast' (whatever that means to you) to make it practical. And that means you'll sweat. And most waterproof's will leave you in a horrible sweaty mess! But yes, you can slow down by a couple of mph to reduce that...it's actually quite hard to do I find, but it is possible if you try hard and concentrate...though half the time you'll forget and just go at your normal pace...