When will the Tour de France return to the UK?

2»

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Not if, but when...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/28203653

'When asked if the Tour would return, Prudhomme said: "Yes. The question is not if, but when, although I don't have the answer for the second part."'
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Joelsim wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:
    I think less attention to getting the TDF and more attention to making the Tour of Britain bigger and better.
    I think getting the TdF in is an excellent way of making the Tour of Britain bigger and better

Maybe we could give 'The big depart' to France one year.

Perhaps, or perhaps just moving the Tour of Britain around the country much more. It does seem to stick to the same old routes, with the new found enthusiasm for cycling in the UK, perhaps it could venture into some new territory.

but is there a new enthusiasm for cycling in the UK though ? it just felt at times to me, like a re-run of the Olympics fever,where everyone is really getting involved with it and feeling a part of this really massive sports thing that takes over, but the outturn (I dont want to use the legacy word) is far less of a change in positive attitudes towards cycling, its more about just being part of the big event, like one of those you have to be able to say you were there and part of it kind of things, its not because youve suddenly found a new enthusiasm for cycling or cycling racing because of it.

and the thing is like the TdF, the ToB goes where the money is, and if that doesnt produce particularly interesting parcours or take in more of the country, theres not really alot they can do about it, Yorkshire created a massive year long tourist campaign on the back of the TdF, that kind of thing doesnt work so well on a national/local level (less so when every local tourist board in the country is competing trying to do the same thing),so you dont see that level of interest or local involvement usually when the ToB goes by.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    I know the people I was with in the Fan Parks in Ilkley and Sheffield were enjoying the racing, and while I don't expect 200,000 showing up to the TOB, I'd imagine TV viewing figures will go up.

As Ned Boulting said, the viewing figures for the Women's Tour this year were equal to the TDF about 3 or 4 years ago. It's that knock on effect that the TOB will benefit from.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Joelsim wrote:
    Maybe we could give 'The big depart' to France one year.

I actually think there could be some merit in a Calais based stage to open the Tour of Britain.

Would need more days in the race though.